Duck Hunting Forum banner

Banded Merganser

5K views 17 replies 6 participants last post by  sehunter1 
#1 ·
I shot a Banded Merganser yesterday morning. We had a great hunt. Woodies and Mallards coming in strong. We had flights every 5 to 10 mins for over 2 hours. Friend of mine shot his first blue wing teal also. We really had a great hunt. Checked up on the band from the Merganser and it was banded in Stoddard MO last year around May. It's my first band so humor me. I just find it kinda strange that they would band a merganser. Has anyone else shot a banded one?

#2 ·
I've killed way too many mergansers and none have been banded. The DOW bands whatever species of ducks they happen to catch. I talked to one of the guys that banded a mallard I shot a few years back and he had banded hundreds of species of birds ranging from humming birds to bald eagles

#3 ·
So they really dont target one type of duck per say? I was just really glad to have the band being that it was my first. I've been hunting for about 10 years now North Carolina and MS. I've talked to lots of people from different areas and they have several bands. It's just really nice to finally get one. Whatever the type of duck. Mergansers are considered trash ducks. I was just thinking that the people that band them might be wanting to see something and that perticular species is a target for them. It was banded in May of this year. It was banded in Studdard Missouri.

#5 ·
Ducknuts! said:
So they really dont target one type of duck per say? I was just really glad to have the band being that it was my first. I've been hunting for about 10 years now North Carolina and MS. I've talked to lots of people from different areas and they have several bands. It's just really nice to finally get one. Whatever the type of duck. Mergansers are considered trash ducks. I was just thinking that the people that band them might be wanting to see something and that perticular species is a target for them. It was banded in May of this year. It was banded in Studdard Missouri.
They will target one species but if they catch another species they'll just pick a band that fits the bird and band it

#9 ·
The one's that we've been hunting don't have any they fly right in and hit you in the back of the head or just crap on you as the buzz the spread. Thats why they get slaughtered at one min past. Going out Thursday morning this last little cold should push some new ones into the groups that we've been shooting at.

#15 ·
duckman27 said:
That's an odd looking band. What did they say when you called it in?
Nothing more than where I had shot it. I asked the guy about the band and he said that he gets thousands of calls in on bands. He said that he doesn't know himself about the band. I should be getting my certificate in the mail in 8 to 10 business he said. I was also curious about it becaue it was crimped on one end. Not what I'm accustomed to seeing. I'm proud of it all the same.

#16 ·
Here's a question if not a USFWS band who else bands birds? Like I said this is my first one so I've got questions about it. I guess that I'll just have to wait and see. Does anyone know someone that bands birds that I can call in Mississippi? It was banded in MO May 1st of this year. I think that I put that in a previous post. Thanks for all the great feed-back.

#17 ·
Lots of
People band birds. Colleges and private parties. LSU bands birds within sight of my blind every year.

#18 ·
I know this is an old post but I can shed a little light on that band. The bird came from either NWR or adjoining Duck Creek Conservation area. These are in Stoddard County, MO. I hunt Duck Creek weekly. The areas are old swamps and sloughs that hold many resident wood ducks and mergansers. They band them every spring, kind of cool to see one of our locals made it down your way. If your still around can I ask where in Mississippi you shot it?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.