How much wind is too much for hunting?

Post now and share useful Kentucky duck hunting information. A few topics of discussion would be public hunting land in Kentucky, local techniques, and much more.

Moderators: duckbuster06, kydrake

Re: How much wind is too much for hunting?

Postby teddysberna » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:09 pm

I'm skeptical too... I've seen Lake Erie throw up some 6-8 footers in the bay, but I have my doubts that an inland lake can throw 10 footers at you... I've only been on KY once at the north end, and I'm not calling you guys liars, I'm just skeptical that it can get that rough...
ByersFarm wrote:
Westtennduckhunter wrote:Sugar is a top secret place.

Sugar is a mythical place, with unicorns and sugar plum ferries. It's a majestic place. I mean moth8rf^@king majestic. Like a bald eagle getting a hand job from the statue of liberty herself.
teddysberna
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 8:13 pm

I got a question and I'm not sure cause most of my time is at brackley lakes and not kentucky lakes. But if you was hunting on Ky lakes and one of them big fat canvas back swims into your decoys during one of these ten foot wave storms should you go on and finish cooking breakfast or should you try to to shoot at him at the top or bottom of a wave as he swims away?
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby FOWLER2671 » Wed Jan 04, 2012 9:59 pm

teddysberna wrote:I'm skeptical too... I've seen Lake Erie throw up some 6-8 footers in the bay, but I have my doubts that an inland lake can throw 10 footers at you... I've only been on KY once at the north end, and I'm not calling you guys liars, I'm just skeptical that it can get that rough...

North or South winds push the waves up or down the trough. Lake Erie is huge but Ky runs for 40+ miles and when it narrows down slightly; it increases the wave height just like any constriction would.

The Miss can scare the crap out of you as well!

PS The 70 mph winds caught us on a sandbar in the back of Blood River.
Army Surplus Prostaffer
FOWLER2671
hunter

Postby dablaw » Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:58 am

An ole bud of mine was with his dau this summer fishing on the east side of Ky. Lake in a 21 foot Champion and he tried to make it across the channel...He has even more experience and a few years on me, but when a wave bottomed out on a bar it tore his 200hp outboard off the transom and they nearly lost there lives...It was 13 feet deep on that bar...If you want I'll let you talk to him and I promise you he'll make a believer out of ya...
I'm an old fart , but young at heart...Been there,done that, wrote the freakin book...When i die I hope it's at sunrise, with a gun in my hand, and the sound of wings overhead...
dablaw
hunter

Postby duckslaya_187 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:57 am

Who are you trying so desperately to convince here ... yourself or us? No one is questioning whether or not high winds and big water are dangerous. That is a given. In freezing temperatures with no wind a cow pond is dangerous.

What we are questioning are your 10 foot waves. What landlocked landlubbers think are 10 foot waves are in most all case actually 3 - 4 footers. Once again, hero, no one is questioning whether or not they are dangerous...especially in a semi-v jon boat.

You, however, question my 19 years and poke fun as if how could someone not 107 years old possibly know what a 10 foot wave looks like. The last time I checked 10 foot was 10 foot no matter how old the eyes looking at it were. As for experience I'll ask you...how many REAL, OBSERVED and MEASURED (through NOAA wave buoys and recognized wind wave algorithms) have you experienced in the open ocean? I have plenty of times and I can tell you that the mind will have you believe what is actually a 10 footer is a 100 footer.

Oh, and for KY Lake, yeah I've been on it during 20 and 30+ north or south winds and the only thing making a 10 footer out there is a barge wake.
if you aint blastin you aint lastin
duckslaya_187
hunter

Postby BackWater Bandit92 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:06 am

JamieDuck1993 wrote:I got a question and I'm not sure cause most of my time is at brackley lakes and not kentucky lakes. But if you was hunting on Ky lakes and one of them big fat canvas back swims into your decoys during one of these ten foot wave storms should you go on and finish cooking breakfast or should you try to to shoot at him at the top or bottom of a wave as he swims away?

Are you talking about Barkley lake? And stop asking stupid questions everybody is tired of seeing them if it is that rough on the lake you should not go on the main lake all it takes to hunt the lakes is just a little common sense. If the wind is blowing real hard don't go to the lake or stay in the bays.
BackWater Bandit92
hunter

Postby ChevyKYfowler24 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:58 am

i was out hunting on barkley monday and the lakes looked horrible. there was two boat ramps where i hunted, one on the main lake where i put in intially and then another in the back of bay. needless to say by 12 i parked boat in back of bay amd walked my happy, alive *** back to the truck almost a mile away. didnt even cross my mind to risk it. barge came thru and the waves were smacking the crap out of it and looked very nasty
ChevyKYfowler24
hunter

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Thu Jan 05, 2012 2:17 pm

BackWater Bandit92 wrote:
JamieDuck1993 wrote:I got a question and I'm not sure cause most of my time is at brackley lakes and not kentucky lakes. But if you was hunting on Ky lakes and one of them big fat canvas back swims into your decoys during one of these ten foot wave storms should you go on and finish cooking breakfast or should you try to to shoot at him at the top or bottom of a wave as he swims away?

Are you talking about Barkley lake? And stop asking stupid questions everybody is tired of seeing them if it is that rough on the lake you should not go on the main lake all it takes to hunt the lakes is just a little common sense. If the wind is blowing real hard don't go to the lake or stay in the bays.

The only stupid question is the one that you don't aks. yes im talking about brackley lakes. I know thaqt it gets rough when the wind blows so i try to stay on a bay or somethin so it won't bother the ducks too much to swim in front of me.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby Skilletshootin » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:15 pm

Screw it.... I'm goin fishin
We ain't in the duck huntin business
We's in the duck killin business.....
And brother business is a boomin!!!
Skilletshootin
hunter

Postby wratliffky » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:28 pm

I've fished the lakes for 35 years no telling how much time I've spent on them, and I'm telling you I've seen the lakes get that rough. I fished when hurricane Ike came through and in a 21 foot ranger and I can tell you the lakes can get 10 foot swells. In the end its stupid to argue over this we just all need to make sure to be safe out there all of us know how quick it can turn bad. Good hunting ~William
wratliffky
hunter

Postby rank duck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 7:06 pm

Jamieduck, where the heck is brackley lake. In the UK?
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby kynitro » Thu Jan 05, 2012 8:27 pm

dablaw wrote:An ole bud of mine was with his dau this summer fishing on the east side of Ky. Lake in a 21 foot Champion and he tried to make it across the channel...He has even more experience and a few years on me, but when a wave bottomed out on a bar it tore his 200hp outboard off the transom and they nearly lost there lives...It was 13 feet deep on that bar...If you want I'll let you talk to him and I promise you he'll make a believer out of ya...

I know this is true because it was my neighbor... Small world dablaw!!!
Here today, gone tomorrow
kynitro
Newb

Postby JamieDuck1993 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 4:31 am

rank duck wrote:Jamieduck, where the heck is brackley lake. In the UK?

The uK is in Laxington. Brackley Lakes is in western part of kentucjy . It is where they have big crappie tournaments and stuff. Murry state is close to it and the state pinn to.
JamieDuck1993
hunter

Postby rank duck » Fri Jan 06, 2012 6:06 am

JamieDuck1993 wrote:

The uK is in Laxington. Brackley Lakes is in western part of kentucjy . It is where they have big crappie tournaments and stuff. Murry state is close to it and the state pinn to.

Thanks for conrfirming you're the idiot everyone thought you were.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby gobbl4me » Fri Jan 06, 2012 8:34 am

Jamieduck i hope you are just jerking these guy string and trying to get a rise out of them.
gobbl4me
hunter

Postby rank duck » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:20 am

Oh, absolutely that's what he's doing. It's just that he's not doing it well. Trolling is an art form. Not just any dumbass can do it successfully.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby duckbuster06 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:29 am

He seems to be doing a decent job of it if you guys are still responding to him. :hi:
duckbuster06
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rank duck » Fri Jan 06, 2012 10:59 am

Wrong. We're just trying to understand him better so we can respond appropriately.
- THIS SPACE FOR RENT -
rank duck
hunter

Postby BackWater Bandit92 » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:11 pm

JamieDuck1993 wrote:

I love how you can spell tournaments right but you cant spell Barkley, Lexington or pen right you are ignorant.
BackWater Bandit92
hunter

Previous

Return to Kentucky Duck Hunting