Duck hunting close to Dothan?

Discuss Alabama duck hunting and more.

Moderator: David

Duck hunting close to Dothan?

Postby benjod7 » Tue Jan 03, 2012 9:54 pm

I am looking for somewhere to hunt close to dothan or within an hour or so from here. all i usually hunt is a small pond on my buddy's land but he's not always in town to go. Anyone know of anything?
benjod7
Newb

Re: Duck hunting close to Dothan?

Postby AlabamaOutdoors » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:17 pm

Im from eufaula, just a hour north of dothan, when season is in you can come here and get on with the refuge. pretty good shooting i might add. or get a core permit and start going on lake eufaula. find you a woodie or mallard hole.
Its really about just being out there......War Eagle!

Genesis 27:3|Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me.
AlabamaOutdoors
hunter

Postby benjod7 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 12:37 am

Yeah I got informed of a little spot in the middle of nowhere to try my luck. I went up there a few days before the season went out and saw a lot more ducks than I was use to. So next year I plan to do a lot more hunting up there. If you ever need more people to hunt with I wouldn't mind helping you fill a spot. And thanks for the reply!
benjod7
Newb

Postby Bourgeois » Sun Oct 21, 2012 5:53 am

Hello fellow duck hunters, My wife is from Dothan. We are coming from New Orleans visiting her folks for thanksgiving. I'm hoping to find a place in the area to make a few hunts. I have a boat, a retriever, and lots of decoys. Thought I might find someone in need of another hunting partner, or if you had any suggestions on some public land nearby I would appreciate it. Thanks
Bourgeois
Newb

Postby jaker » Tue Oct 23, 2012 4:54 pm

sorry to inform you, but dothan is possibly one of the worst areas in the state for ducks, and thats kinda sad because alabama is awful in general. Eufaula is awful, the chatahoochie near dothan is awful, your only two chances of shooting anything more than woodducks are lake seminole or the bays along the coast of florida. They are both about an hour from dothan. seminole is heavily pressured, but if you are a good hunter, you might can kill some birds. The bays along the coast have less pressure, but its mainly just gonna be buffies and some redheads/bluebills mixed in. You need a lot of decoys for this, like atleast 80-100. If its just a short trip then its probly not worth bringin your stuff with you, if your gonna be here for a while, then with some serious scouting you might can kill a few. hope this helps
2009 - 2010 (My boat)

Bw Teal- 7
jaker
hunter

Return to Alabama Duck Hunting