Dodge Transmission Question

Discussion about Trucks, Cars, Motorcycles, & Trailers.

Moderators: fowl_wishes, whisperin' duck, ajmorell, KCDuckMaster

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:50 pm

I will possibly pick up a 2500 dodge plow truck and want to do all the basic maint on it before plowing (if we ever get any snow) It is a 4x4 with the gas 5.9l overdrive automatic. I believe it is a 46RE/H but I am not positive. It has 169,000 on it but runs and drives fine and will make me a good winter beater plow truck I hope. Do these run Dextron or do they need the special chrysler trans fluid that is about $5 a quart more? and should it be the 46RE/H? I want to get the filter kit too
Last edited by waterfowlhunter on Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Thu Jan 05, 2012 3:52 pm

I ran the Chrysler in mine. A beater??!! You know that is an extremely sought after truck, and low mileage.
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Re: Dodge Transmission Question

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:49 pm

He has been trying to sell it for close to 2 months now for $2500 with a real nice poly plow and recieved not one offer, The truck was always stored inside and has very minor rust on the lower drivers door, Floors are very solid. I offered $2000 and he said he would take it. Only real issue I can find it the right rear spring hanger is broken and I can not find one anywhere, only ones available are the 94 and newer. I looked at a LOT of 86 to 90 dodge 2500's in the last month and they are all in the $2000 range but this one is loaded PW, PL tilt cruise ac etc. it will be a luxery beater :lol3: I am only going to buy it if I can get the new spring hanger, so off the web I go. If not I will continue my plow truck shopping.

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Thu Jan 05, 2012 5:24 pm

Yes, should be a 46RE. Should also be ATF+4, which is not manufactured specifically by Chrysler. It is more expensive than Dexron, I think it ran about $3-4 a quart last time I bought an entire case of it for my Jeep....it used to be substantially more expensive when there were only a couple companies manufacturing it but now that you can get it at pretty much any parts stores, even most wal-marts the price has dropped a bit.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Thu Jan 05, 2012 6:30 pm

The lats time I tried to change the ATF in my sons dodge (91) the stuff wat about $9 a quart everywhere I looked. that was about 2 years ago. I will look again at wally world and see if they have it now.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby gbollom » Fri Jan 06, 2012 9:18 am

What year? The trans is likely a 47 or even a 48re depending on year.
gbollom
Newb

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:46 pm

gbollom wrote:What year? The trans is likely a 47 or even a 48re depending on year.

I'm pretty sure the 47/48RE never came behind the 5.9 gas engine, only behind the v10 and the 5.9 cummins
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Fri Jan 06, 2012 2:47 pm

waterfowlhunter wrote:The lats time I tried to change the ATF in my sons dodge (91) the stuff wat about $9 a quart everywhere I looked. that was about 2 years ago. I will look again at wally world and see if they have it now.

I'm almost positive I paid like $45 for a case of it about a year and a half ago.
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby Smackaduck » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:06 pm

Apparently I misunderstood the post. I was thinking it was a 2500 with the 5.9 cummins.......
If they're dumb enough to be lured in by plastic you're really just doing them a favor.

Know your target before you pull the trigger.

Duck Hunting is ALL about the bag.
Smackaduck
Super Moderator

Postby waterfowlhunter » Fri Jan 06, 2012 3:20 pm

Smackaduck wrote:Apparently I misunderstood the post. I was thinking it was a 2500 with the 5.9 cummins.......

If it was a diesel it would already be in my barn....

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby 2500hdon37s » Mon Jan 09, 2012 8:08 am

if the spring hanger have you called a few local junk yards to see if you can get one?
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby ajmorell » Mon Jan 09, 2012 9:21 am

2500hdon37s wrote:if the spring hanger have you called a few local junk yards to see if you can get one?

Worth a try, but I'd be willing to guess anything that old sitting in a yard in MI is going to be so rusted it wouldn't be any good...still might be worth making a couple calls though. Sometimes you can get replacement spring hangers from companies that manufacture lift kits too
Andy
ajmorell
Forum Moderator

Postby foldinducks » Mon Jan 09, 2012 11:33 am

wouldnt it be cheaper to just make a hanger?i made mine from a peice of c-chanell layin around the shop.mine was a 96 f-150, but it couldnt be that difficult to fabricate.
it didnt smell like that when i ate it
foldinducks
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Mon Jan 09, 2012 5:07 pm

foldinducks wrote:wouldnt it be cheaper to just make a hanger?i made mine from a peice of c-chanell layin around the shop.mine was a 96 f-150, but it couldnt be that difficult to fabricate.

I could make one but do not feel like messing with it. I have found that for dodge a lot of suspension parts prior to 1994 have been discontinued (aparently they are not worth repairing or there is no demand for the parts) although I can get them for a Chevrolet all the way back to the 50's. :huh: I have LMC looking into it for me too, Have not given up just yet.

waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Vehicle forum