Recent Field Hunt With Seven Limits of Ducks

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Postby CWA » Thu Jan 05, 2012 4:54 pm

We were blessed to have a successful duck hunt recently while filming for a CWA www.thecwa.org DVD project.
Tim Sallee
Founder Christian Waterfowlers Association 501(C)(3)
http://www.thecwa.org
CWA
hunter

Re: Recent Field Hunt With Seven Limits of Ducks

Postby Fowl'in up NORTH » Thu Jan 05, 2012 10:16 pm

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:

How far were most of your shots and please describe the setup.
Fowl'in up NORTH
hunter

Postby pmahler » Mon Jan 09, 2012 7:54 pm

Looks like a lot of dead hens in there. Not plummed up enough this late in the season? Ha ha, good shoot though.

PS - dead hens don't lay eggs
pmahler
hunter

Postby njonesy_07 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 1:55 am

I also see plenty of drakes....not bad in my book. :thumbsup:
Jonesy
njonesy_07
State Moderator

Postby MossyMallard12 » Thu Jan 12, 2012 3:25 pm

:thumbsup: :clapping: Wow good shooting I've always wanted to shoot a Wigeon or Pintail, my two favorite ducks, good job! :thumbsup: :clapping:
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby CWA » Sun Jan 29, 2012 8:54 pm

MossyMallard12 wrote::thumbsup: :clapping: Wow good shooting I've always wanted to shoot a Wigeon or Pintail, my two favorite ducks, good job! :thumbsup: :clapping:

Thanks for the kind words.
I know what you mean about the Wigeons and Pintails. We were fortunate to see a lot of them this year.
Tim Sallee
Founder Christian Waterfowlers Association 501(C)(3)
http://www.thecwa.org
CWA
hunter

Postby Coleman24 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 11:22 am

Nice pile guys!!
Coleman24
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:09 pm

pmahler wrote:Looks like a lot of dead hens in there. Not plummed up enough this late in the season? Ha ha, good shoot though.

Seriously? There are hardly any hens in that pic...

PS - dead drakes don't breed live hens
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue May 15, 2012 9:47 am

duckman2525 wrote:
pmahler wrote:Looks like a lot of dead hens in there. Not plummed up enough this late in the season? Ha ha, good shoot though.

There's a couple hens in there, but it's not too bad. But if there were enough birds flying for a 7 man limit, I'd only be shooting drakes. I'm not against shooting hens, but would never shoot a hen when a drake's in range.

But saying that killing drakes will result in hens that aren't bred is wrong. There are plenty of other drakes that will handle that.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby CutEm214 » Tue May 15, 2012 10:11 am

River Ramblin' Man wrote:
duckman2525 wrote:

There's a couple hens in there, but it's not too bad. But if there were enough birds flying for a 7 man limit, I'd only be shooting drakes. I'm not against shooting hens, but would never shoot a hen when a drake's in range.

But saying that killing drakes will result in hens that aren't bred is wrong. There are plenty of other drakes that will handle that.

I think the point was that some folks can't just be happy for a group of guys that went out and shot a very respectable pile of birds. There's hardly enough hens in that photo to even bring it up....maybe 1 per hunter?

To the OP...great pic, great hunt! Nevermind the nay-sayers and spoil sports. I'd jump on a hunt like that in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:
CutEm214
hunter

Postby Crazy Matt » Tue May 15, 2012 7:27 pm

CutEm214 wrote:
River Ramblin' Man wrote:
duckman2525 wrote:

I think the point was that some folks can't just be happy for a group of guys that went out and shot a very respectable pile of birds. There's hardly enough hens in that photo to even bring it up....maybe 1 per hunter?

To the OP...great pic, great hunt! Nevermind the nay-sayers and spoil sports. I'd jump on a hunt like that in a heartbeat. :thumbsup:

X2, nice hunt boys.
Call, Kill, Consume.
Crazy Matt
Explosives Expert

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Wed May 16, 2012 6:28 am

I agree that it was a great hunt, I've never been on a hunt where we killed a 7 man limit! I even said that there's not too many hens in there. The point I was trying to make was that the "dead drakes don't breed hens" thing doesn't mean that those hens won't be bred.
sampsonhuntin wrote:Are you now on his knob like you were WTN10's before he internet choke slammed you?
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby BGipson » Thu May 17, 2012 7:46 am

Great hunt boys! As for the hen debate, I know for a fact that hens without a set male will be bred.... she may be killed in the process, no lie, but she will be bred. If you have ever spent any time in the midwest in late spring you should have witness "rape flight"; rape flight is where a lone hen starts flying (for some reason or other) and inadvertently attracts the attention of every bachelor male in the area who then proceed to chase her and beat her with their wings until she falls from the sky so they can gangbang. As you can imagine the brutality is often too much and the hen dies... sorry for such a "graphic" post but nature can be ugly :crying:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby callinfowl » Tue May 22, 2012 5:53 am

Thanks for the gangbang visual !
Cutt'um all Jack !!!!!!!!! :yes: :fingerhead: :fingerhead: :crying: :lol3:
Lifes to short to sweat the small crap !
Lighten up and have some fun ,before ya die !

Laugh at yourself and with others!!!!!
callinfowl
Forum Moderator

Postby River Ramblin' Man » Tue May 22, 2012 2:55 pm

callinfowl wrote:Thanks for the gangbang visual !

Thank you, for your avatar! :clapping:
River Ramblin' Man
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue May 22, 2012 5:12 pm

callinfowl wrote:Thanks for the gangbang visual !

Here's a video I took in North Dakota a few summers back. I'd recommend muting it because I was babbling on about nothing with my girlfriend at the time :fingerhead:

Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 23, 2012 6:19 am

I've watched more than a couple of what might have seemed "rape flights," where the Susie was actually dragging up the rear watching the drakes fuss each other, as if enjoying the fight over her. Have never seen a hen forced from the air. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it go that way. Such flights I've seen conclude did so with a pair.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed May 23, 2012 7:44 am

Rick Hall wrote:I've watched more than a couple of what might have seemed "rape flights," where the Susie was actually dragging up the rear watching the drakes fuss each other, as if enjoying the fight over her. Have never seen a hen forced from the air. Doesn't mean it doesn't happen, just that I've never seen it go that way. Such flights I've seen conclude did so with a pair.

This was in Woodworth, North Dakota in June 7, 2010. In this case she wasn't knocked to the ground but she was definitely the bird of the hour getting chased by all those males. This just happened to be the only video I had of this happening. I have seen it hens forced to the ground/water but never had my camera easily accessible when it did. Hens will die in some cases from the trauma or drowning.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Wed May 23, 2012 8:22 am

Again, I'm not saying it doesn't happen, just that I've not seen it. In normal years I'm afield pretty much daily and get to see a lot of courtship flights, but unpaired mallards are pretty much gone north by the end of March, with the stragglers being paired birds. Our resident "Summer mallards" continuing the air show after that are mottled ducks, which could be more polite than their cousins. Dunno.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby BGipson » Wed May 23, 2012 6:29 pm

I totally understand! I only saw it happen a handful of times in the 5 years I was in the Dakotas so it is not a common occurrence by any stretch. I was working outside around wetlands almost every day every summer I was there. It may just be a regional thing also, I dunno? I suppose now that I think about it, it has been mallards every time I've seen it occur.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby waveslider » Wed Jan 30, 2013 12:47 pm

River Ramblin' Man wrote:I agree that it was a great hunt, I've never been on a hunt where we killed a 7 man limit! I even said that there's not too many hens in there. The point I was trying to make was that the "dead drakes don't breed hens" thing doesn't mean that those hens won't be bred.

Then you've probably never seen the density required to shoot a 7 man limit and realized that you actually have to work hard at not shooting multiple birds with one shot. In our large-limit hunts you're shooting into large groups and it's almost impossible to not hit a hen once in a while.

Stop hating. You really want to make an impact? Shoot all the hens you want but trap as many coon and foxes you can find.
Internet Scouting Pro Staff
waveslider
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting