Reverse Engineering "Weasel Ball"

Share tips and ask questions on all types of duck decoys. Including working, classics, collectable, and carving decoys.

Moderators: HENDU3270, Remman, DUKHTR, fowlhunter

Reverse Engineering "Weasel Ball"

Postby remi917 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 10:08 am

So there's been several posts on here regarding the use of a weasel ball toy inside a duck decoy to make it wobble. A lot of people were mentioned about using the oversized GHG decoys, however I don't have any of those around. Being the impatient guy I am- cut one of my larger mallards I had around. After cutting into it, I put the ball in, and boom! I had some motion. Good!....but not good enough. The ball wasn't hardly rolling, since there was little room. So would it wobble, yes, but not settling for good, I wanted to figure out what would give it more motion. Did a little reverse engineering I ended up popping off the motor and shaft, and now i'm trying to figure out what could make this off-center mechanism roll around better, I can always put it back into the ball, I just don't want to settle for good!

I've attached two pictures to show you how the mechanism looks, and to anyone who doesn't know, that shaft is fixed in the center of the ball, and the weight is off-centered to make it roll "randomly", I'm sure theres videos of it on youtube if you need a further visual.

Looking for some input from the community!

Shaft Up Close
2012-01-10_09-32-51_132.jpg
Shaft Upclose
2012-01-10_09-32-51_132.jpg (13.01 KiB) Viewed 1678 times

Whole Unit
2012-01-10_09-32-22_509.jpg
Whole Unit
remi917
hunter

Re: Reverse Engineering "Weasel Ball"

Postby dakotashooter2 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:13 am

So couldn't you just anchor the shaft to the bottom of the decoy? The weight would turn around the shaft causing the decoy to wobble side to side.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Re: Reverse Engineering "Weasel Ball"

Postby remi917 » Tue Jan 10, 2012 11:27 am

Thats one thing I was thinking about- Was to use like a dremmel tool, cut out the plastic part from the bottom of the ball, and mount that to the bottom of the decoy. However was trying to get some opinions before I did that of whether it would work the same mounted in a fixed position to the bottom of the decoy vs. loose and rolling around somehow
remi917
hunter

Return to Duck Decoy Forum