Another great day in the scull boat...

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

Postby jehler » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:37 pm

We are heading out after coyotes again this weekend. Got a good feeling....
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Redbeard » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:41 pm

jehler wrote:We are heading out after coyotes again this weekend. Got a good feeling....

Good time of the year to do it. I used to hunt coyotes quite a bit before I moved to Humboldt. But my level of expertise I no where near tomkat's. I did however introduce an old friend to it. He's now an expert. I created a monster
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby jehler » Thu Jan 12, 2012 7:44 pm

Redbeard wrote:
jehler wrote:We are heading out after coyotes again this weekend. Got a good feeling....

Good time of the year to do it. I used to hunt coyotes quite a bit before I moved to Humboldt. But my level of expertise I no where near tomkat's. I did however introduce an old friend to it. He's now an expert. I created a monster

Tomkat has got to be getting tired of talking to me about coyote how to's, I'm pretty sure coyotes sense my presence or something and mock me with their absence
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 3:57 pm

Well my 3rd trip out the scull boat didn't quite pan out.

On my first attempt to scull some Cans, I noticed the metal liner for my oar hole came out. The old screws were rusted away to almost nothing. Without that liner it made controlling the boat difficult. But at this point I was committed. These Cans were in a cove, but I couldn't get within 75 yards before they spooked.

30 minutes prior I had spotted 6 mallards in a small secluded cove at the far end of the lagoon. So I changed course and headed that direction. After a 1/4 mi paddle and a 300 scull to the mouth, I found an empty cove. Damn birds snuck out unbeknownst to me.

Another attempt on two Cans in a cove was busted when they spooked at 60 yards.

I made several sculls on groups of buffies. Dumb birds would let me easily get with 15-20 yards on open water. One group let me get easily inside 10 yards. Needless to say I coulda easily shot a limit of them. But I was here for bigger game, hopefully a bull Can. No dice.

I went to the next lagoon which I've never hunted before. Traditionally it doesn't shoot well. But right now it's holding tons of divers. While glassing and contemplating whether i should attempt it, a young new warden stopped by. He had no interest in checking me. Just wanted to talk duck hunting. Nice guy.

The story with this lagoon is that half is state parks, half is national parks. It's about a 1000 yards long and 500 wide. The imaginary boundary line runs lengthwise right down the middle. We can hunt the east side (state) but not the west side (fed). Seriously?! How stupid is that? Leaves alot of interpretation for any ranger or warden if you're close to the imaginary boundary line. Anyhow all the birds were along the western shore. I coulda shot my bull from the freeway.

Decided to call it a day and let these birds rest peacefully.

I also noticed earlier in the day, that my sculling oar was gettin chewed up pretty good without the liner in. Guess I got a project now Image

We'll see what this weekend holds
"Jedge, y' know, suh, us all has ouh good an' ouh bad days wid de ducks. Yes, my lawdy, us sho' do. Dey's times whin de ducks flies all ovah ev'ything an' ev'ybody, an' still us kain't none o' us hit nuthin'- lak me an' you wuz' dis mawnin' "
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Re: Another great day in the scull boat...

Postby OGblackcloud » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:05 pm

Your getting pretty good at this Red . Look forward to reading these posts :thumbsup:
OGblackcloud
hunter

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 4:17 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Your getting pretty good at this Red . Look forward to reading these posts :thumbsup:

Thank you, but I wouldn't say good. Mediocre maybe.
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby TomKat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:02 pm

jehler wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

Tomkat has got to be getting tired of talking to me about coyote how to's, I'm pretty sure coyotes sense my presence or something and mock me with their absence

I never get tired of hearing about coyotes. Ya cant get discouraged. I gurantee you there are more around you than you know.
Just move in stealthy, sit still, and pay attention to the wind direction. Jehler, you are doing everything right. Its just not an easy thing to do. At this point, the worst thing you could do is quit. Keep after it. You are getting closer.

Also, at the end of this month they are going to starting their mating season. They will be vulnerable to howls and territory challenges. Its best, IMO, to use female coyote howls. I bet Jr can get those off of the internet. The idea is to NOT imitate an alpha male. That will scare off any lesser or younger dogs. Use the female sounds as 'bait".

That might change your luck some.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby TomKat » Fri Jan 13, 2012 5:04 pm

OGblackcloud wrote:Your getting pretty good at this Red . Look forward to reading these posts :thumbsup:

I also enjoy the pics and posts...keep 'em coming. :thumbsup:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:28 pm

Red-know a coonass that designed a special paddle that is hindged in the middle of the paddle that allows the paddle to bend 30 degrees left and right before hitting a stop, this allows far better propulsion when sculling... :thumbsup:
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:44 pm

Indaswamp wrote:Red-know a coonass that designed a special paddle that is hindged in the middle of the paddle that allows the paddle to bend 30 degrees left and right before hitting a stop, this allows far better propulsion when sculling... :thumbsup:

Cool. That'd come in handy at the beginning of a long scull. But when youre approaching the birds you wanna slow it down. You don't want the boat to trail any wake behind it.
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:46 pm

Redbeard wrote:
Indaswamp wrote:Red-know a coonass that designed a special paddle that is hindged in the middle of the paddle that allows the paddle to bend 30 degrees left and right before hitting a stop, this allows far better propulsion when sculling... :thumbsup:

Cool. That'd come in handy at the beginning of a long scull. But when youre approaching the birds you wanna slow it down. You don't want the boat to trail any wake behind it.

all you have to do is slow your hand motion down...no need to change paddles. :thumbsup: think of it as a gear shifter. :wink:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:48 pm

We haven't been able to go out in our scull boat this year, and probably won't be able to before the season ends either.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm

Indaswamp wrote:
Redbeard wrote:

all you have to do is slow your hand motion down...no need to change paddles. :thumbsup: think of it as a gear shifter. :wink:

exactly what I do now. It's a cool idea though
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:54 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:We haven't been able to go out in our scull boat this year, and probably won't be able to before the season ends either.

why?
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby ducks~n~bucks » Fri Jan 13, 2012 9:58 pm

Because all of our sculling spots require a motor to get to where you start sculling otherwised it's a good hour paddle. And we aren't registering the scull bot baecause we already registered the aluminum boat and my mom won't let my dad register both.
ScaupHunter wrote:Oompa Loompa Loofah de do. Who wants to share a Loofa with you?
ducks~n~bucks
McLovin

Postby Redbeard » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:00 pm

ducks~n~bucks wrote:Because all of our sculling spots require a motor to get to where you start sculling otherwised it's a good hour paddle. And we aren't registering the scull bot baecause we already registered the aluminum boat and my mom won't let my dad register both.

tow the scull behind the outboard to your spot
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:02 pm

Redbeard wrote:
ducks~n~bucks wrote:Because all of our sculling spots require a motor to get to where you start sculling otherwised it's a good hour paddle. And we aren't registering the scull bot baecause we already registered the aluminum boat and my mom won't let my dad register both.

tow the scull behind the outboard to your spot

X2...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby goldfish » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:16 pm

We don't need to register out duck boats in MN
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Postby TomKat » Sat Jan 14, 2012 7:38 am

goldfish wrote:We don't need to register out duck boats in MN

I dont think we do, either.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:18 pm

Sam and I had a tough time in the boat today. We picked a slough that I did well in last last week. Problem is that I didn't account for the low tide. It was so low that most of the time we had less than two feet of water. I didn't realize the slough was that shallow at low tide.

We only sculled one group of about 6 teal on the west bank, where the water was too shallow. The deepest channel was along the east bank. Not ideal, but it was our only option.

About 100 yards out my boat ran up on a submerged tree. Quietly and carefully I got us free. The birds got alittle antsy. We waited a few minutes to let em calm down before we continue forward. At 40 yards out, while trying to hug the east bank, we hit a sand bar. Dammit! No way I could break us free this close to the birds. Told Sam to slowly sit up and take aim. He did just that and let em have it. One bird fell! Had we not had trouble with the shallow water, I really think we coulda got inside 30 yards. Oh well, there's always tomorrow.

We paddled the rest of the slough and saw nothing but coots.
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:20 pm

I bet y'all still had a fantastic time
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Postby Redbeard » Sat Jan 14, 2012 3:58 pm

Westtennduckhunter wrote:I bet y'all still had a fantastic time

Beats Saturday morning cartoons
Redbeard
Super Trooper

Postby sampsonhuntin » Sat Jan 14, 2012 4:51 pm

Sounds like an awesome time
Underradar wrote:If you are gonna be a duckhunting badass, you need that barrel sticker that reads:

Prison Is My Futre

copterdoc wrote:trim, for grinding.
sampsonhuntin
hunter

Postby Mean Gene » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:28 pm

Keep it up Red. I wanted to chase geese this morning but only a mallard wanted to play.
Mean Gene
hunter

Postby vincentpa » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:31 pm

Keep the stories coming Red. I'm really intrigued by this sculling for ducks.
In a free society, it is not the obligation of the citizen to prove to the government that he is a good person. It is the obligation of the government to prove to the rest of the citizenry that the citizen is a bad person, with probable cause.
vincentpa
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to The Honey Hole