Camo Dipping In Oklahoma?

A forum to discuss everything about Oklahoma duck hunting.

Moderators: okiequacker, dgraves

Re: Camo Dipping In Oklahoma?

Postby shoveler_shooter » Thu Oct 24, 2013 6:02 pm

ryanoutloud wrote:Sorry to hear about the delays, as I said before, he is a bit of a perfectionist. Something you may not have an issue with is going to drive him nuts.

Called him and he said it went through a successful dip, the temperature changes messed it up the first time.
I leave for Kansas at 4:00AM tomorrow, gun will be ready to pick up at 11:00AM.
Pretty much sums up my luck for this entire week. Disappointed, but I'll just use either my BPS 12 or 10.
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Fri Oct 25, 2013 8:13 am

you headed up there with thatdudewhohunts?
petrotk40
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Oct 27, 2013 9:02 pm

Whatever happened with this? I'm interested in a place around OKC would really like Max4 but guess I will settle for something as the bluing is pretty well worn off ol Betsy.
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 6:29 pm

petrotk40 wrote:you headed up there with thatdudewhohunts?

Yep, why do you ask?
UmatillaJeff wrote:This load would drop ducks and geese like thors hammer in my hands, I would bet the equity in my house on it.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:39 pm

Results:
Well, these pics don't do it justice at all (phone), I'll try to take some with a camera and get those on here.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 8:42 pm

That looks awesome!

I was just wondering since he told me he was headed up there at the same time. How was the hunt?
petrotk40
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:52 am

petrotk40 wrote:That looks awesome!

I was just wondering since he told me he was headed up there at the same time. How was the hunt?

We weren't able to hunt the areas we originally thought we'd be able to...lake needed to be a few more feet above normal to flood them and allow us to float in them with the boat.
Ended up hunting the main lake. We were on the wrong side of the lake the first day but shot some teal and mallard. Heard/saw a ton of specks up high, and I think we saw a large migration on the opposite side of the lake. The next day we found out we could drive in, so we set up from the shore on the other side. Fog didn't lift until about 10:00, but there were quite a few birds flying around for about 30 minutes. If our shooting was better we could've downed some more birds, but it just completely shut off about 30 min after sunrise. We beat a group of boat hunters by about 30 min, they idled around about 100yds away and spotlighted us for a little bit, which causes me to think we were in a good location. Just at the wrong time.
The air is MUCH drier up there than it is here. Upper 20s feels like upper 30s/mid 40s in OK. On the coldest morning I got away with just wearing light winter clothing.
Anyway, we didn't do as good as we were hoping but it's always good to be able to get into some birds before the season starts down here.
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby petrotk40 » Tue Oct 29, 2013 9:05 am

Sounds like a good time even if a little slow. Maybe I'll get a chance to hunt with you and thatdude this season
petrotk40
hunter

Postby shoveler_shooter » Tue Oct 29, 2013 6:38 pm

Some better pics...
BPS in MODB for comparison
shoveler_shooter
hunter

Postby ryanoutloud » Tue Oct 29, 2013 10:41 pm

Happy to see he got that pattern figured out. When he first took over the business we used that on my personal gun and had nothing but fits. I'm sure he cringed a little on the inside when you picked it out, but I gotta give little bro props on this one, he done good. Sorry it took a little extra time. You get to see the Sooners themed AR he just finished?
ryanoutloud
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Sun Dec 01, 2013 7:16 pm

I sent mine off today to RA Hoffer in WI. They do all the dipping for Mathews and DPMS as well as several others. One week turn around and $135 plus return shipping for a complete gun in Max 4. I'll have it back by middle of next week can't wait!
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby rebelmdb69 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 5:46 pm

Got it back today total gone was 10 days with shipping and all. Turned out really great realtree max4 Image
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby red408lx » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:07 pm

rebelmdb69 wrote:Got it back today total gone was 10 days with shipping and all. Turned out really great realtree max4 Image

Anymore pics?
red408lx
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:29 pm

I can get some more. Put it up already but will take more and post them up
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby hammerdown3512 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 1:06 pm

hello. New to forum. Its awesome that there is a forum for us waterfowlers, and even more awesome that I see some fellow Okies on here. I found this forum because I was searching about camo dipping. I have a 16 year old 870 express that was a high school graduation present from my father that is showing a lot of wear.

I have been looking at Oklahoma City Hydrographics and was wondering if anyone had any info on them.

also, can they dip the wood stocks and forends or just the metal components? and how long does this stuff last?

thanks guys and im glad to be here!!!!
hammerdown3512
Newb

Postby rebelmdb69 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 6:25 pm

I called them daily for a week with no reply or call back. Do you know what pattern you're wanting to get?
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby hammerdown3512 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:16 pm

yeah, i called today too, no answer. may bypass them. plus i want MAX-4 to like you got. You still happy with yours? do gun solvents hurt the graphics or any special care?

i may just send it off to the same place you did. yours looks awesome.
hammerdown3512
Newb

Postby sprtsmn001 » Mon Jan 13, 2014 7:20 pm

I've got a nice Browning BLR that I took with me to LA hunting and it got some pitting on it after my dumb a## put it back in the case and forgot to spray it. I need to get it re-blued. I'm in OKC and wandering who I could take it to that is reasonable but does a great job.
sprtsmn001
hunter

Postby Miles Massey » Tue Jan 14, 2014 10:16 am

sprtsmn001 wrote:I've got a nice Browning BLR that I took with me to LA hunting and it got some pitting on it after my dumb a## put it back in the case and forgot to spray it. I need to get it re-blued. I'm in OKC and wandering who I could take it to that is reasonable but does a great job.
I haven't seen any re-blues from anyone in OKC (or Oklahoma) that I would be willing to pay money to have done. :no: Way too much hack work for me to recommend.

I've used these people on a few items and liked the results: http://gunbluing.com/

I've also had a few odds and ends done by SGR and liked their work, too: http://www.simmonsguns.com/site/services/barrel-work-blueing/
Miles Massey
hunter

Postby rebelmdb69 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:36 pm

Yes I am still happy with mine it looks awesome and haven't had any problems with solvents. I highly recommend RA Hoffer
rebelmdb69
Free Pass Moderator

Postby sprtsmn001 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 7:22 pm

Miles Massey wrote:
sprtsmn001 wrote:I've got a nice Browning BLR that I took with me to LA hunting and it got some pitting on it after my dumb a## put it back in the case and forgot to spray it. I need to get it re-blued. I'm in OKC and wandering who I could take it to that is reasonable but does a great job.
I haven't seen any re-blues from anyone in OKC (or Oklahoma) that I would be willing to pay money to have done. :no: Way too much hack work for me to recommend.

I've used these people on a few items and liked the results: http://gunbluing.com/

I've also had a few odds and ends done by SGR and liked their work, too: http://www.simmonsguns.com/site/services/barrel-work-blueing/

Thank you for the info. I definitely don't want to take a chance on a crappy job. It's hard to find someone to do a good blueing job.
sprtsmn001
hunter

Previous

Return to Oklahoma Duck Hunting