changing times

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

changing times

Postby rjbadfish » Wed Jan 18, 2012 3:53 am

I became a moderator here several years ago. I felt that with my experiences and knowledge that I had something to offer back. I really enjoyed my time at DHC and met some really good people through here.

Unfortunately, times are changing. In my opinion, the site is getting away from what it was designed to do, or at least what I envisioned it as when I joined.

An example of this is Capt1972's egotistical and arrogant posting of two men in a position suggesting a sex act along with a signature photo of a woman massaging her breasts. I guess that his need for bravado exceeds the ability to use common sense. I do not believe that this is appropriate posting on a site where parents, women and children visit to learn about duck hunting in New Hampshire.

This is only one small piece of the changes that made my decision to step down as a moderator that much easier. I may pop in from time to time but for the most part, I will be seeking out greener pastures.

Continue to be safe and good hunting.
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Re: changing times

Postby JTR » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:29 am

Ray, you seem like a really good guy. I always enjoy your posts. Let me say that I have learned a ton in the past couple years from this website. Non of that would be possible without the moderators and the guys running this site, so for that, i thank you. Besides the occasional bs post, there is still a ton of good coming from here.

That said, I've seen the same kind of bs, time and time again on online forums. I've been on striper fishing forums, other hunting forums and even forums based on my job. The part that sucks is that the forums are made to grow and attract more people - that means more money for sponsors and more money for the owners. Absolutely nothing wrong with that. The part that sucks about it is that the guys that are here to be part of a small close knit community get lost in the shuffle. This is something that won't change. To be honest, this is one of the few types of places where you can voice your opinion to people of all sorts, so sometimes, that change is for the better.

The best solution that I ever found was when myself and a couple of other guys in the same business as me grabbed a small group of guys and started our private forum. The forums are free and we dodged a lot of the meaningless bs that comes with being on a public forum and we learned a hell of a lot of info. I was a small time guy going in, but being on a first name basis with guys who are doing more that a million in sales every year has a lot of benefits. The down side is that eventually, topics to discuss become few and far between and guys start to fade away.

In my opinion, some young blood can be a good thing too. The key is to have moderators like yourself who really care about what they are doing, who they are affecting, and the example they are setting. All I'm saying is that you seem to be great for the job and I'm sure you will be missed.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Wed Jan 18, 2012 7:20 am

Ray-

Sorry to see you step down, but if it is whats best for you then it is a no brainer. Just wanted to quickly say thanks for your time as a moderator, helping me out there with the call (still owe you a beer), with training ideas, etc etc... :beer:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby tgs » Wed Jan 18, 2012 2:01 pm

I hear ya Ray. :no:
"Pass a Tradition Along"
tgs
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Wed Jan 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Geesh Ray, you could of just said something, I would have deleted it. And as far as the sig it was more for the HH than anything else and is gone now. You make it sound like I'm the reason your leaving and I ran you off.
capt1972
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:10 am

Thanks for the replies, PM's and telephone calls. I appreciate the kind words and support. It makes me feel good that I had a positive influence on a group of good people.

Capt., Don't worry, you didn't run me off. If you note, I just used your most recent post as an example to show the changes that have occurred on the site. I had an active member here tell me that he had to limit his 15 year old daughters (also a member) involvement here because he did not want her exposed to the garbage that has been posted here recently. In my opinion that is a loss to the future of waterfowling.

I will hop on a soapbox for a minute; I attended an ethics seminar several years ago and two self assessment questions I always remembered were:
1. Would you do it if your mother was watching?
2. Would you do it if you were being videotaped and open to public scrutiny?

Based on this, would you have posted those images if you had to include your full name and address? Would you send them along with a Christmas card to your Mom and other relatives?

I hope that things return to a point where DHC can be a place where young hunters can come to learn about waterfowling without being subjected to the crap that is found on just about every other website out there.
Thanks and I hope everyone has a safe off season. :beer:
Ray Jackson

rjbadfish
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:11 am

Oh, Cute Cat :grooving:
Ray Jackson

rjbadfish
hunter

Postby capt1972 » Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:38 am

rjbadfish wrote:Thanks for the replies, PM's and telephone calls. I appreciate the kind words and support. It makes me feel good that I had a positive influence on a group of good people.

Capt., Don't worry, you didn't run me off. If you note, I just used your most recent post as an example to show the changes that have occurred on the site. I had an active member here tell me that he had to limit his 15 year old daughters (also a member) involvement here because he did not want her exposed to the garbage that has been posted here recently. In my opinion that is a loss to the future of waterfowling.

I will hop on a soapbox for a minute; I attended an ethics seminar several years ago and two self assessment questions I always remembered were:
1. Would you do it if your mother was watching?
2. Would you do it if you were being videotaped and open to public scrutiny?

Based on this, would you have posted those images if you had to include your full name and address? Would you send them along with a Christmas card to your Mom and other relatives?

I hope that things return to a point where DHC can be a place where young hunters can come to learn about waterfowling without being subjected to the crap that is found on just about every other website out there.
Thanks and I hope everyone has a safe off season. :beer:

This made a lot of sense Ray. It made me realize that it's not just the idoits in the HH that are seeing my posts, I forgot that there are kids looking. Not to mention that stuff I posted in the past and forgot about also showed that sig. I still wished you would had said something to me earlier but you have taught me to think twice about what I post in the future.
capt1972
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Sat Jan 21, 2012 12:36 pm

Ray thanks for handling the mod responisibilites. Best of lukc going forward.

Capt,
What is the "HH"
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Sat Jan 21, 2012 3:24 pm

HeritageHunter wrote:Ray thanks for handling the mod responisibilites. Best of lukc going forward.

Capt,
What is the "HH"

HH is the Honey Hole..where pretty much the only hunting talk is people cyber scouting in North Caroline :no:

Some good threads in there, but also a lot of 'random' ones.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Sat Jan 21, 2012 7:25 pm

JustinNH wrote:
HeritageHunter wrote:Ray thanks for handling the mod responisibilites. Best of lukc going forward.

Capt,
What is the "HH"

HH is the Honey Hole..where pretty much the only hunting talk is people cyber scouting in North Caroline :no:

Some good threads in there, but also a lot of 'random' ones.

:lol: HAHA on the NC cyber scouting!
capt1972
hunter

Postby NHDuckHunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 1:18 pm

Too bad Ray, sorry to see you go for sure. Not sure if you even remember, but I was ready to walk away from here about 2 years ago because some of the garbage that gets posted here. You talked me in to staying, and I did, albeit with much less posts and must less input. I don't venture outside the NH forum much anymore, once in a while I will pop in the Military forum, and the calling forum, and sometimes the gear forum. So much of it is just garbage though. Like was mentioned above, thats what comes with sponsored forums. They want more members, they want members in a certain demographic. Its a shame that some people in that 25-48 year old demographic decide to act like 15 year olds. :lol3:

Best thing you can do is try to find a non-sponsored smaller forum. Some of the free ones are riddled with spam too though. I belong to another site that is great, member funded just big enough to have lots of meaningful discussions, and heavily moderated. Hopefully it stays that way.
NHDuckHunter
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting