Girls, girls, girls.

A place for women who love the outdoors to meet and discuss things important from her prespective.

Moderators: NorCal Cazadora, LadyK, Outdoor Gal

Girls, girls, girls.

Postby lilredneckgirl » Thu Jan 19, 2012 7:29 am

Well, lets see, here we are, 2012, We run companies, homes, families. We vote, we hold office, we are more then likely to be the chief cook and bottle washer.
And the part that gets me, so many come in here looking for someone to teach them, dress them in pink camo, and hold their hand while hunting.
Arnt we better then that?
My opinion, I dont want some guy, even my husband, giving me special treatment in the field. I dont want to stand out from the guys by wearing pink camo. That kinda stuff breeds resentment.
If i get cold, Ill find my way back to camp alone, and learn to dress warmer next time. If im missing shots, Ill spend more time practicing my swing on the clay birds. I dont want to have the first shot at every bird, with the guys banking on me missing.
I took the attitude, early on, that I am as good, or better then the " next Guy". I take my knocks, relish my triumphs, and learn from my errors. Just like the guys.
Afield, I fit in. On a recent hunt in Tenn. for boar & turkey, I litteraly had to stop, set the guide down, and bring him up to speed on the fact that, " Just cause Im a girl, dont mean you need to treat me like a girl out here". That takes away from my experiance. I can keep up, climb the ladder, cross the stream, load my gun, dress warmly, stay quiet, and when the time comes, I can and will take and make the shot. my lack of a penis does not relate to me being a helpless female. out here hunting, that 'gun' isnt the one that counts.
I wear what works out in the marsh. If its dry, warm, and allows freedom of movment, it will do. Its not a fashion statement location. The end game is the end of the day when your counting hits and misses. When your setting around camp and your included because your not a handicap.
The pink camo has its place, but for me, its not afield. And yes, there are certain times when i do want be seen as the "fairer sex" , but thats another time & place.
YES I HUNT LIKE A GIRL!!!! BooYaaaa
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Re: Girls, girls, girls.

Postby TomKat » Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:31 am

Dang, I thought this was about an old Elvis movie or a Motly Cru song :sad: :zzz:
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby Outdoor Gal » Thu Jan 19, 2012 6:09 pm

lilredneckgirl wrote: My opinion, I dont want some guy, even my husband, giving me special treatment in the field. I dont want to stand out from the guys by wearing pink camo. That kinda stuff breeds resentment.
If i get cold, Ill find my way back to camp alone, and learn to dress warmer next time. If im missing shots, Ill spend more time practicing my swing on the clay birds. I dont want to have the first shot at every bird, with the guys banking on me missing.
I took the attitude, early on, that I am as good, or better then the " next Guy". I take my knocks, relish my triumphs, and learn from my errors. Just like the guys.
Afield, I fit in. On a recent hunt in Tenn. for boar & turkey, I litteraly had to stop, set the guide down, and bring him up to speed on the fact that, " Just cause Im a girl, dont mean you need to treat me like a girl out here". That takes away from my experiance. I can keep up, climb the ladder, cross the stream, load my gun, dress warmly, stay quiet, and when the time comes, I can and will take and make the shot. my lack of a penis does not relate to me being a helpless female. out here hunting, that 'gun' isnt the one that counts.
I wear what works out in the marsh. If its dry, warm, and allows freedom of movment, it will do. Its not a fashion statement location. The end game is the end of the day when your counting hits and misses. When your setting around camp and your included because your not a handicap.
The pink camo has its place, but for me, its not afield. And yes, there are certain times when i do want be seen as the "fairer sex" , but thats another time & place.

Redneckgirl, I totally understand what you're saying.

I don't want any special treatment and I carry my own weight just as much as the guys. I've sometimes had a hard time getting the guys (usually my husband to see that though. I don't want to be coddled, but he shot me down everytime I mentioned that I wanted a pair of decent waders, something more than rubber fishing waders. His reasoning, was that it's hard walking and he didn't want me falling in. Whatever. :huh: It really grated that I couldn't help retrieve anything, or help with dekes, so I became the "pack mule". I would carry most of the gear in, while the guys set dekes. I finally borrowed a decent pair of waders from a friend and ended up wearing them this season, including helping him and a buddy break 2-3" of ice in December. Yeah, it's ok, I can take care of myself and be careful just like anybody else.

As much as I wish I was, I'm not the greatest shot. I need to get to the range more and practice during the off season, but I have 2 year old twins at home and it's not easy getting out like that. I've made up my mind though, that since I can't shoot that well, I'm going to be a good caller. And the other half as even admitted that I sound better than he does, especially on a goose call. :yes:

As for women's hunting clothes... that's a frustrating topic. lol. It seems nearly impossible to find women's hunting clothes (especially for waterfowl) that are quality, fit well, AND affordable. I've tried youth jackets, they may fit in the body but the sleeves are too short. Men's smalls are as hard to find as women's. I have everything from an army surplus wool sweater, to a Wal-mart camo fleece, to a Filson jacket. lol.
2009 Season Totals
2 - Baby boys

"Any woman who does not thoroughly enjoy tramping across the country on a clear, frosty morning with a good gun and a pair of dogs does not know how to enjoy life." ~ Annie Oakley
Outdoor Gal
Forum Moderator

Postby lilredneckgirl » Fri Jan 20, 2012 7:12 am

Practicing your shooting doesnt have to on a range with live fire. You can do it while the twins sleep in the next room.
Back when, the tried and true method was at home with an empty gun.
Understand that the 'swing' is 90% of wing shooting. @ being able to sholder, and 'swing' the gun in a smooth fluid motion, and following through after the trigger pull.
This can be practiced at home with an empty gun.
without actualy pulling the trigger, the excersize is simple. you sholder, swing, and as the barrel bead passes the 'target' you "pull " mentaly.
learn a lil secret about shotties. lay your gun on a table, sholder it and block it up so it stays there in a shooting position without touching it. now sight down the barrel and note the mark where it points/aims according to the sights. .
now open both eyes, and stay on the sights. you may see two barrels, so learn which one counts. now practice that swing with two eyes open. you will learn to forget about the "ghost" barrel and focus on the true line of sight.
next, with gun still blocked,and sholdered, lift your head slightly, basicaly to a more comfortable position. Note that a slight lift of your head, did not move the front bead off the target !! Its a shotgun, not a rifle. Its kill pattern is not a pin point. There is a lil margin you need to capitalize on.
Now with both eyes open, head up, practice your swing.
Now, forget rifle stances, Take that elbow, and let it drop down at least mid way to your hip. Rifles, elbow up level with the sholder as its a STILL TARGET. , Shotguns, drop the elbow to that comfortable position. ITS IMPORTANT as its a MOVING TARGET, as the closer your arm is to your body, the more strength you have to control the gun on a moving target. . Prove this control thing with a gallon of milk, Arm streight out lift it, then bring the arm close to your body, now lift it. big difference. shooting is no different, keep your elbows tucked close and you get 100% better control.
This style is true shotgunning. Its advantages are many, but the primary is a wider field of vision that allows you to find the target easier, swing in smoothly, and follow through while holding the recoil. Other advantages are better depth perception , a huge field of vision, Less reciol into your head as its not touching the stock in this position....
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Wed Feb 01, 2012 5:38 pm

Yeah! :lol3:
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Feb 02, 2012 3:43 pm

If you feel the need I can be awfully lazy and let you do all the work. You got a boat? You feel like hauling me and my lazy butt (and my dog) out hunting...knock yourself out honey and if you know where to go that's even better.

I'll clean the ducks and cook them if you want but you are doing everything else. I hope you know how to call ducks because if you don't I will complain the whole danged time. Finally I will sigh, get out my calls and do a little of the work. The rest is ALL YOU girly-girl.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sat Feb 04, 2012 3:57 pm

THATS RIGHT :lol3:
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby dakotashooter2 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 3:12 pm

I think some of the problem is the idea that "now we have you out here we don't want to push you so hard you don't want to come back". We are guilty of doing it with kids too. We may be guarding you from things we don't even like or are comfortable doing. There were some things I tried to instill upon my son but it some cases it didn't take till he experienced it. I'm sure that goes for women too.

FWIW there are times us men can drive ourselves pretty hard. I'm not going to go as far as to say you can't keep up because you are women but if you'r not getting out nearly as often as the men are, your conditioning, male or female may not allow you to keep up.
dakotashooter2
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Mon Feb 06, 2012 5:30 pm

YEAH WHAT DAKOTA SAID :lol3:
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:06 am

I understand your frustration! Fortunatly I've been lucky enought to not enounter it TOO much. The way I see it, they treat us like any other new kid - as in child. In the grand scheme of things, I am like a kid in terms of hunting. I'm still learning & asking questions & trying to master new skills.

I have ONE friend that I want to just PUNCH IN THE FACE!! He's extremely possessive and gets very irritated if I take any one else's advice when it comes to hunting or (trap) shooting. It pisses me off but I manage to keep my composure nontheless. One advantage we women have over the men is we TRUST our instincts. Men aren't as good at listening to that little voice in their head (often their OTHER heads interfere with the reception! lol!).

Ive spent the last 3 yrs training in martial arts. The men I train with have a high degree of respect for me. The ones above me KNOW and BELIEVE that every martial artist is different & able to be great. Sex has nothing to do with it. Those that came up with me have struggled with the same things & therefore know that we are in fact equals. Its the newer students that as a female you find yourself having to prove yourself to. Fortunately at my skill level it doesn't take much or long! :lol3:

Point is, in time, with perseverence, patience, and learning to listen - both to the people around you & your own instincts, you get better and wind up unintentionally "proving" yourself anyway.

And as the old adage goes, "Screw 'em if they can't take a joke!" :beer:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby kfgirl » Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:10 am

dakotashooter2 wrote:FWIW there are times us men can drive ourselves pretty hard. I'm not going to go as far as to say you can't keep up because you are women but if you'r not getting out nearly as often as the men are, your conditioning, male or female may not allow you to keep up.

In kung fu, I'm slower than many but faster than some. I get pushed JUST as hard as the men. Sometimes we do need someone more experienced to push us. If you worry that you're pushing your woman/girl/female too hard, she'll let you know. Trust me, we're a lot stronger than you realize. Hell, we birth babies! :bow:
vincentpa wrote: Even if you're Bruce Lee, you ain't the same Bruce Lee wearing waders.
kfgirl
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:05 pm

Look I maybe being a **** but 1. your instinct isn't as good as ours. Cause let see in ancient caveman times the men out and hunted up dinner for HMMM lets say 20,000 years. Also its a proven fact our body is built better for it. 2. i agree your tough as far as pain threash hold cause you have babies. But pushing the body and cardio and those types of body torture are different and men are better with it. 3. Sometimes we are posessive, its because there are tons of idiot hunters and shooter teaching bad crap and the wrong way to learn things. Also your treated like kidz cause were worried about you.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:53 pm

duckinismyluckin wrote:Look I maybe being a **** but 1. your instinct isn't as good as ours. Cause let see in ancient caveman times the men out and hunted up dinner for HMMM lets say 20,000 years. Also its a proven fact our body is built better for it. 2. i agree your tough as far as pain threash hold cause you have babies. But pushing the body and cardio and those types of body torture are different and men are better with it. 3. Sometimes we are posessive, its because there are tons of idiot hunters and shooter teaching bad crap and the wrong way to learn things. Also your treated like kidz cause were worried about you.

Someone call the world's foremost anthropologist, quick! I've just discovered the last living Neanderthal, right here on DHC.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:07 am

Its okay its hard to live with truth. Not many can its okay.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby wildhorse » Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:50 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:Look I maybe being a **** but 1. your instinct isn't as good as ours. Cause let see in ancient caveman times the men out and hunted up dinner for HMMM lets say 20,000 years. Also its a proven fact our body is built better for it. 2. i agree your tough as far as pain threash hold cause you have babies. But pushing the body and cardio and those types of body torture are different and men are better with it. 3. Sometimes we are posessive, its because there are tons of idiot hunters and shooter teaching bad crap and the wrong way to learn things. Also your treated like kidz cause were worried about you.

I had to jump in here. After working almost exclusively with men most of my adult life I feel compelled to share what I have learned. As a woman in a male dominated activity (anything) if you try your best and don't expect preferential treatment you will be treated with respect and honor. No, we are not as strong as men, but I've found chivalry is not dead. Most men, (who are brought up with decency) will jump in and help if you are struggling. Secondly men don't like women who try to act like men just to fit in (i.e. profanity, or start chewing tobacco).
When I started in construction some 25 years ago, I went to work at times with 50- 60 year old's who had spent a lifetime building highways w/o women. I was looked at like an alien. It was assumed that I was related to the owner, was sleeping with the foreman, or a lesbian and naturally wanted preferential treatment. I kept my mouth shut, worked hard and soon the 50-60 year old's relaxed figured out that I was there because I was qualified to be there. They became my biggest allies, it was like working with a bunch or your uncles or dads. I learned so much.
I took those lessons to the field the first time I was invited to a posh duck club as a guest in Los Banos. Again plopped into a sea of men and it was only my 3rd time duck hunting. I was teamed up to share a blind with the biggest meanest looking guy in the outfit. I kept my mouth shut and listened. The proof was in the pudding, I shot more ducks than he did. Did I say anything when we got back to the club house. Hell no. He did.
The second day, (same partner) he forgot his flashlight and on the way out to the blind we got off the gravel path, and got deeply mired in mud. I went over backwards with pack and all , stuck beyond belief. My partner picked my out like a human crane. We continued to the blind ( a complete nightmare) and both got our limits. Afterward, we were taking off our waders (mine were waist high), he saw that my pants were completely soaked and caked with mud. He couldn't believe that I had continued on and not said a word, or never complained. The story went around the clubhouse. I was accepted as an equal and have been invited back several time and always had a great time.

Mr. ducks your lucking or what ever your name is, I take issue with the instinct thing, I would challenge you any day of the week. You are proof positive that neanderthals are alive and well. Real men have no problem hunting with a woman, sometimes they are just a little unsure of how to act, as so much hype is out there.
wildhorse
hunter

Girls, girls, girls.

Postby Shotgun wg » Sun Feb 12, 2012 1:57 pm

I hunt a lot with my wife and a friend and his wife. My wife is far more patient than I when deer hunting and as good of a shot as most men I know. The first time we went duck hunting I gave her 5 shells. That was all she wanted. She don't shoot a lot but in 2 hunts she took those 5 shells and killed 4 birds. I do have to help her in mud because her waders don't fit well and the straddle hits her about mid thigh making it hard to walk. Angela is also a friend of mine that is married to another one of my friends. That girl is tough as nails can call ducks with the best of em and is deadly with a gun in her hand. I don't even notice she is a girl any more she is just a hunting buddy and a highly capable one at that.
Shotgun wg
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Sun Feb 12, 2012 6:45 pm

Im not sayin im better did i, its a fact man has been hunter provider for 20,000 years. And we are built better for hunting up the grub. No one said u couldn't. And i do think a man's killer instinct is better than womens. Proof how man mass cerial killers that were successful. How many women mass cerial killers.... Im also saying its crappy when women wine about being treated like a kid men are annoyed by whining you know that. U learnt it in the construction gig. YOur a very smart women and i agree with you a hundred percent. It's kinda hard for me to explain. Im sexiest or saying there no spot for a girl in duck blind. Im exstatic women wanna hunt now thats cool. Mabe women in human race now will prove there hunt capacity in this era of mankind mabe you will become like lionesses. WHo know's.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby lilredneckgirl » Mon Feb 13, 2012 6:52 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:Im not sayin im better did i, its a fact man has been hunter provider for 20,000 years. And we are built better for hunting up the grub. No one said u couldn't. And i do think a man's killer instinct is better than womens. Proof how man mass cerial killers that were successful. How many women mass cerial killers.... Im also saying its crappy when women wine about being treated like a kid men are annoyed by whining you know that. U learnt it in the construction gig. YOur a very smart women and i agree with you a hundred percent. It's kinda hard for me to explain. Im sexiest or saying there no spot for a girl in duck blind. Im exstatic women wanna hunt now thats cool. Mabe women in human race now will prove there hunt capacity in this era of mankind mabe you will become like lionesses. WHo know's.

Hmmmmm, ? prove their hunt capacity.....
im thinkin, that was exactly the mentality i statred this thread on.
i raised two boys as a single mom, no child support, no government checks, taught them to hunt and shoot by the time they were 8 years old, taught them how to play ball, swim, and much more. i taught them how to fight, and walked through 16 years of Tae Kwon Do with them. i started a business, painting houses, then bought two houses and paid them off inside 12 years. I hunt every season, fish every summer, and do ok. from deer, boar, duck & goose, to pheasant & turkey, its a rare day to come home with an empty bag. i own trucks, boats, campers, and have the time and money to use them, filling a 100 gal fuel tank even when price per gallon goes over $4.00 on marine fuel. Our last pheasant hunt, between my two sons and I, we jumped 15 birds, and brought 12 home to the freezer.
And I have to prove myself? THat is exactly the attitude im talking about.
I am not as strong as my husband. Im not ass tall or fast either. BUt that is no handicap, to me or any other woman. But when it comes to life, skills, learning ability, marksman ship, etc, its on a level field.
I dont attempt to prove myself to the guy hunters. I let the talking for them, while I keep on walkin the walk.
lilredneckgirl
hunter

Postby wildhorse » Mon Feb 13, 2012 9:05 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:Im not sayin im better did i, its a fact man has been hunter provider for 20,000 years. And we are built better for hunting up the grub. No one said u couldn't. And i do think a man's killer instinct is better than womens. Proof how man mass cerial killers that were successful. How many women mass cerial killers....

Hmmmm................ (to copy redneck girl), duckinismyluckin, your scaring me. I would definitely have a loaded shotgun if I was anywhere near you at any time. I'm sorry; the correlation with hunting and serial killers escapes me.

Shotgun wg..... great post, you have simply stated what hunting should and can be when men and women hunt together. I know that the men I hunt with think of me as a hunting buddy and nothing else, as I do them. It's not important who can do what better, but that we have each others back and are "partners" when we go hunting. I am happier when my partner does better than I do, as he is when I do well.

redneck girl..... you are so right, actions speak louder than words. God bless you for teaching your kids to hunt. I have also taught my son to hunt and fish and he can't get enough of it. My husband chooses not to hunt, it's just not in his DNA, but supports my son and I fully.
wildhorse
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:37 pm

Holly crap you all just morph crap way outta proportion. Like i said 1. men been main hunter for 20,000 years. Okay 2. they did it then with sticks spears brute force okay there no benellis black cloud pariarie storm any of the no ford pick-um up trucks none of our modern conveninces so really i would cackle to lil redneck girl. 3. Im not even as close to as good a hunter as those caveman hunters were noe of us are and really anyone thinks different is fullashit. 4.Lil redneck girl your not the average girl okay not even **** close. Im not saying thats bad u just went an outdoors route and developed your skills thats all. Im not saying women are totally inferior as far as outdoor sports IE. hunting fishing deep woods hiking. Im saying the mojority are unproven. Take this in to consideration. If USA did a census question of how many women are 5 year hunting veterans what do you think that percentage of women would be. And lil redneck girl if you showed up with a benelli boat dog dekkes knives standard hunting crap and im sure u have it all i know ur for real i never said you weren't but what im saying is all of your aren't the average women. crap how man times i gotta say that. Im not demonizing women or women being in the outdoors im just stating the facts.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby duckinismyluckin » Wed Feb 15, 2012 8:40 pm

Okay to lil redneck ur so **** good and so technically superior and better than me im a idiot guy and lucky ur on earth so educate me. What are the four different types of shotgun lead. i don't know cause im a idiot please save me.
duckinismyluckin
hunter

Postby TNAL45 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 12:37 am

duckinismyluckin wrote:Holly crap you all just morph crap way outta proportion. Like i said 1. men been main hunter for 20,000 years. Okay 2. they did it then with sticks spears brute force okay there no benellis black cloud pariarie storm any of the no ford pick-um up trucks none of our modern conveninces so really i would cackle to lil redneck girl. 3. Im not even as close to as good a hunter as those caveman hunters were noe of us are and really anyone thinks different is fullashit. 4.Lil redneck girl your not the average girl okay not even **** close. Im not saying thats bad u just went an outdoors route and developed your skills thats all. Im not saying women are totally inferior as far as outdoor sports IE. hunting fishing deep woods hiking. Im saying the mojority are unproven. Take this in to consideration. If USA did a census question of how many women are 5 year hunting veterans what do you think that percentage of women would be. And lil redneck girl if you showed up with a benelli boat dog dekkes knives standard hunting crap and im sure u have it all i know ur for real i never said you weren't but what im saying is all of your aren't the average women. crap how man times i gotta say that. Im not demonizing women or women being in the outdoors im just stating the facts.

You should quit before you make yourself look like even more of an inbred, idiotic butt.
cannon wrote:Rules, in general, are bad for me. Left to my own resources, I'm a fairly responsible citizen. Once rules are in place, I have an insatiable desire to break them repeatedly. It's a sickness.
TNAL45
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Thu Feb 16, 2012 2:54 pm

TNAL45 wrote:
duckinismyluckin wrote:Holly crap you all just morph crap way outta proportion. Like i said 1. men been main hunter for 20,000 years. Okay 2. they did it then with sticks spears brute force okay there no benellis black cloud pariarie storm any of the no ford pick-um up trucks none of our modern conveninces so really i would cackle to lil redneck girl. 3. Im not even as close to as good a hunter as those caveman hunters were noe of us are and really anyone thinks different is fullashit. 4.Lil redneck girl your not the average girl okay not even **** close. Im not saying thats bad u just went an outdoors route and developed your skills thats all. Im not saying women are totally inferior as far as outdoor sports IE. hunting fishing deep woods hiking. Im saying the mojority are unproven. Take this in to consideration. If USA did a census question of how many women are 5 year hunting veterans what do you think that percentage of women would be. And lil redneck girl if you showed up with a benelli boat dog dekkes knives standard hunting crap and im sure u have it all i know ur for real i never said you weren't but what im saying is all of your aren't the average women. crap how man times i gotta say that. Im not demonizing women or women being in the outdoors im just stating the facts.

You should quit before you make yourself look like even more of an inbred, idiotic butt.

Too Late.

duckinismyluckin wrote:Okay to lil redneck ur so **** good and so technically superior and better than me im a idiot guy and lucky ur on earth so educate me. What are the four different types of shotgun lead. i don't know cause im a idiot please save me.
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:07 pm

This tool would make a great movie character.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Girls, girls, girls.

Postby Westtennduckhunter » Thu Feb 16, 2012 3:10 pm

duckinismyluckin wrote:Okay to lil redneck ur so **** good and so technically superior and better than me im a idiot guy and lucky ur on earth so educate me. What are the four different types of shotgun lead. i don't know cause im a idiot please save me.

I bet you drool when you type don't you?
teddysberna wrote:
whistlin_wings wrote:Did you get his autograph?

I thought about getting him to sign my cleavage, but decided against it at the last moment.
Westtennduckhunter
hunter

Next

Return to Outdoors Women Forum