Question RE: 3-position .22s

Trap, Skeet, Sporting Clays; pistol/rifle target shooting, to plinking cans with a bb gun.

Moderator: waterfowlhunter

Question RE: 3-position .22s

Postby Grey Dog » Fri Jan 20, 2012 1:46 pm

Back in the day ('mid-70's) I used to punch holes in paper w/ a .22 target rifle. NRA 3-position competition. I heard recently that the rules have changed and that my old Anchutz 1407 Match 54 is no longer legal for use in these matches. Can someone confirm or deny this scurrilous rumor for me. Thanks much.
GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Re: Question RE: 3-position .22s

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 7:10 am

Check the NRA site to be sure, They post all the rules for these matches, YOu can also google "NRA .22 Match rules" and get the info.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grey Dog » Sun Jan 22, 2012 12:30 pm

Thank you WFH. I have looked at the current rules and MY reading is that the old rifles are legal. Just wanted to see if the "rumors" were true or not. I don't see anything that precludes their use but then again I'm no expert (actually distinguished- but that's another story) and haven't shot competitively in several decades.

GD
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby waterfowlhunter » Sun Jan 22, 2012 3:24 pm

I have read the rules a couple of times and did not see anything that excludes your rifle. but I do not shoot 22 competition or care to, Not enough BOOM for me. :biggrin: so I too will leave it to the experts to give you a better answer. I shot long range high power rifle (open sights out to 600 yds) for a few years. But out of rifle, pistol or shotgun shooting I have to say Shotgun is my favorite so I pretty much gave up on the others.
"A free people ought to be armed" George Washington 1790

‘For those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither Liberty nor safety.’ —Ben Franklin.”
waterfowlhunter
Forum & State Moderator

Postby Grey Dog » Mon Jan 23, 2012 5:26 pm

I shot .22s in a Junior Rifle Club until I aged out. I think alot of people look down on the little guns. A guy who was introducing me to HiPo w/M-14s scoffed and said "Well you'll be shooting a real gun now." Got to shoot one practice session and proceeded into a match. OFFHAND and Sitting rapid fire , 200 yds. Only one person scored higher and I shot well enough for a Master rating. My brother shot on the adjacent point and did pretty well also. Qualified Expert. We were both D-E indoor smallbore at the time. Next week the HP shooters started showing up at the smallbore range. Seems my argument for focus on technique (No boom), economy of ammo and all weather training won a couple of converts.
I enjoyed it a lot but college interfered with this pursuit. My sister on the other hand went to PSU and shot for their team on a partial athletic scholarship.
Grey Dog
hunter

Postby Finprof » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:22 pm

There are two classes for 3-postion - "light rifle" and "any rifle". Yours is legal in "any rifle". It is too heavy and the trigger pull is too light for light rifle, which is basically a hunting rifle. The only thing that would make your Anschutz illegal for "any rifle" is if it had an illegal aftermarket buttplate that has an extension over the top of your shoulder. If it has the original flat buttplate or a recent aftermarket buttplate like a 4759 it is perfectly legal. Most of the 3-position competitors will have guns with stocks that are much more adjustable than the 1407. Look at the Champions Choice catalog for the Anschutz 2013 to see what I mean.
Finprof
hunter

Postby Morgan12 » Sat Feb 04, 2012 11:47 pm

Check out the CMP website. They have alot of ino for matches, cheap ammo, actually have sights on sale right now. They also sell M1 Garands, 1903's, use to sell M1 CArbines and all kinds of US Goverment Weapons. They just dumped abunch of US Property Marked .22 LR rifles from the Mossberg 44's to Kinber 82's a few months ago. I got a Remington 513T Took a lil love in the stock but I couldnt be happier. I've purchased several other rifles from CMP and I cant say how great of an organiztion it truely is. If you need any help getting joined let me know I'd be glad to get someone else involved its not hard at all the web site is ODCMP.com
Morgan12
hunter

Postby Grey Dog » Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:06 am

Thanks very much for the input. The light/any makes a lot of sense. I seem to remember when the Light class was created. Not having been actively involved for several decades means I'm way out of date. I have no doubt that the equipment has progressed substantially. On the Remington 513T, my sister used one through Expert. Nice little gun. I started out with a Winchester 75 that I wish I still had.
Thanks again, GD
Life is too short for cheap cigars or Bud in the can. - Grey Dog

Most of Society's ills may be traced to one, or both of two root causes,
too many people and not enough sense of humor. - Grey Dog
Grey Dog
hunter

Return to Target Shooting