Duck Hunting Forum banner

skunk

4K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  Admin2 
#1 ·
What have you guys found about getting the smell of a skunk out of a dogs hair. My choco. lab met his first skunk..I tried the tomato soup and didnt get far.. The vet said use a womens douche but im having a hard time going and buyin that.. thanks for any help

#5 ·
A SKUNK YOU RUN OVER IS AN AIR FRESHNER COMPARED TO A FRESH SPRAY- MY CHOCLATE LAB WAS SPRAYED LAST WEEK- DURING WINTER I HAVE A ROOM IN THE HOUSE HE STAYS IN BROUGHT HIM IN FROM HIS OUTSIDE KENNEL AND SMELT SOMETHING BUT COULD NOT FIGURE IT OUT- WELL AFTER ABOUT 5 MINS IT GOT UNBEARABLE- BENT OVER TO SMELL THE DOG AND WENT OUTSIDE AND PROCEEDED TO PUCK!! ALL THE INFO SAID -BAKING SODA, PEROXIDE, SHAMPOO

BUT AFTER TALKING TO VET THIS WOULD DIE HIS COAT RED-SO USED PLENTY OF TOMATO JUICE AND SHAMPOO

RESULT- BETTER BUT STILL SKUNK SMELL AFTER A WEEK
I LIVE ON THE LAKE SO HE GETS PLENTY OF TRIPS IN THE WATER WHEN I GET HOME FROM WORK-

SO THE ONLY CURE I COME UP WITH IS TIME!
GOOD LUCK

#6 ·
my yellow lab has been sprayed twice. u think hes getting to like the damn things. but try running your dog through heavy slough muck get him coming out so hes just covered in it i did this both times with mine and it seemed to take care of it almost immediatley. read an article in outdoor life once if you hold your dog over burning smolderin leaves something in the smoke is supposed to nutralize the smell lol holding a dog over a burning pile of leaves. i know my lab wouldnt go for it. my vet has a skunk shampoo but dont know how well it works lots of luck

#7 ·
I don't have much expierence with skunks here in Alaska but I have seen this formula in magazines and on The Shooting Sportsman and Upland Joural BBS.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
a squirt of liquid dish soap

Sponge on and let soak for a few minutes and then rinse off.

I also saw this tested on the Myth Busters on TV and it was rated the best for removing the smell.

#8 ·
Randy Johnson said:
I don't have much expierence with skunks here in Alaska but I have seen this formula in magazines and on The Shooting Sportsman and Upland Joural BBS.

1 quart hydrogen peroxide
1/4 cup baking soda
a squirt of liquid dish soap

Sponge on and let soak for a few minutes and then rinse off.

I also saw this tested on the Myth Busters on TV and it was rated the best for removing the smell.
wont this formula turn a black or brown lab yellow or white.......ive seen my wifes hair after she peroxided it......... :laughing:

#9 ·
How are your dogs getting skunked? We have lots of them around here but I don't let my dog out at night by himself. He is supervised on any bathroom breaks after dark and not allowed to wander farther than I can see. I let him wander the yard in daylight only. I have a neighbor that has a female german shepard. She got sprayed and scratched on the back door. He let he in and she ran right to the living room and started rolling on the carpet before he could catch her once he got a whiff of the smell. He had to rip up the carpet over that one. :toofunny:

#10 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.