Snipe Hunting

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Snipe Hunting

Postby waterfowler646 » Sun Jan 22, 2012 2:03 pm

Just wondering if anyone knows if you can legally shoot snipe on lake bottom with lead, been getting some mixed answers. Thanks for the help
2012/2013 Totals:
26 BWT
8 Bluebills
3 Redheads
3 Buffleheads
waterfowler646
hunter

Re: Snipe Hunting

Postby don novicki » Mon Jan 23, 2012 7:06 am

No. They are a migratory bird and you must use steel in all situations. Just wondering if you actually target snipe or are they an incidental bird for you? I spend a number of days each year just finding the buggers and targeting them. Toughest bird of any to hit IMO...........
don novicki
hunter

Postby waterfowler646 » Mon Jan 23, 2012 8:18 am

We usually just go after them after a slow day of duck hunting but once duck season is over we are gonna target them, last week we got into a honey hole. Shot my 8 bird limit in 11 shots :biggrin:
2012/2013 Totals:
26 BWT
8 Bluebills
3 Redheads
3 Buffleheads
waterfowler646
hunter

Postby ten lb test » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:22 pm

Steel shot is not required for hunting doves or snipe by the Feds. I don't know about other states, but in Montana & Arizona where I hunt it is not required. Pete
ten lb test
hunter

Postby apexhunter » Tue Jul 24, 2012 2:06 pm

Snipe (and woodcock/timber doodles) are migratory but are classified as upland species so unless your particular state or area requires non-toxic shot for upland hunting you are fine with lead...it is still better to check your regs or call a GW or the State to verify befre finding out the hard way though. Darned good eating as well!!!!!!!
"Shoot low boys...they're riding shetland ponies in search of true grit" Lewis Grizzard
apexhunter
hunter

Postby bookworm » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:30 pm

i would say that your best bet is to call the game wardens to find out .
i know here in maine it is leagale to hunt snipe with lead . if the game wardens then try the dept of fish and wild life
office .
good luck hunting them and let me know hoe it goe's i've been thinking about targeting them my self .
bookworm
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:14 am

The best way to get em is at night. You go out in the woods with a sack and a whistle. Hold the sack open next to the ground and tweet on the whistle. Sure fire way to get a limit.
Indaswamp wrote:
jaysweet3 wrote:Looks a little small.

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby muskyduck » Mon Jan 21, 2013 12:27 am

Check state regs. Of the 4 different states I have hunted, I have not run into a case where it is required for Woodcock or Snipe. So I'm going to say that it is a pretty safe bet that it is not required.
muskyduck
hunter

Postby 1Luckytiger » Mon Jan 21, 2013 8:41 am

Rebelp74:

You goofy K-John....you know you first must have a "driver/flusher" before you can call them back together and into da' sack!! :grooving: :lol3:
1Luckytiger
hunter

Postby rebelp74 » Mon Jan 21, 2013 3:19 pm

1Luckytiger wrote:Rebelp74:

You goofy K-John....you know you first must have a "driver/flusher" before you can call them back together and into da' sack!! :grooving: :lol3:

Yeah, you're supposed too! :lol3:
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

Underradar wrote:We, the unsigned members of the HH, are not allowed to address such questions. But thank you for asking.
rebelp74
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:53 pm

rebelp74 wrote:The best way to get em is at night. You go out in the woods with a sack and a whistle. Hold the sack open next to the ground and tweet on the whistle. Sure fire way to get a limit.

You have to earn the whistle on our snipe hunts
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby rebelp74 » Tue Jan 22, 2013 3:41 pm

LaRedneck wrote:
rebelp74 wrote:The best way to get em is at night. You go out in the woods with a sack and a whistle. Hold the sack open next to the ground and tweet on the whistle. Sure fire way to get a limit.

You have to earn the whistle on our snipe hunts

You mean somebody actually did it twice?
Indaswamp wrote:

Dat's what She said....

rebelp74
hunter

Postby LaRedneck » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:21 pm

Sure, after they are unsuccessful you give them the snipe whistle...everyone feels like they are going to bring in something with a call in their mouth
THE RIGHT OF THE PEOPLE TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS SHALL NOT BE INFRINGED

YOU GOT A PERMIT TO ASK STUPID QUESTIONS LIKE THAT (TRACE ADKINS)

NRA
DU
NAHC
LaRedneck
Forum & State Moderator

Postby twistofsin » Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:32 pm

Idaho requires the use of steel shot, as well as a federal bird stamp for coots and snipe.

We might be the only state that applies migratory waterfowl laws for those species.

http://fishandgame.idaho.gov/public/docs/rules/waterfowlRules.pdf
twistofsin
hunter

Postby krusse25 » Wed Jan 30, 2013 1:03 pm

Does snipe taste good,or is it just a good shoot?
krusse25
hunter

Postby badgreenbird » Sat Mar 02, 2013 12:57 pm

krusse25 wrote:Does snipe taste good,or is it just a good shoot?

Better than duck, IMO
badgreenbird
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Fri Jun 14, 2013 8:54 pm

You probably have your answer by now but here's a link and some info to help.

http://myfwc.com/hunting/regulations/birds/

Federally approved nontoxic shot (not just steel shot) is required by Fed regs for all waterfowl (ducks, mergansers and geese) and coot hunting.

Some states also include other webless migratory bird species in their nontoxic regulations, i.e., South Dakota includes snipe and sandhill cranes, so you must check the state you are hunting in.

And, some states have areas or portions of Wildlife Mgmt Areas that require federally approved nontoxic shot for all shotgun hunting, waterfwol, migratoy bird or upland bird hunting.

Obviously, you need to check with your state wildlife agency or a local game warden to make sure of the regs on the area you are hunting.

When I hunt snipe, I just go ahead and shoot Win Xpert #7 or #6 steel since they are about as cheap as lead loads and kill'em just fine.

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Postby calamari » Sun Jun 16, 2013 7:38 am

In Calif. it's steel for everything on the federal hunting areas and lead everywhere else.
What's more important however is correctly identifying snipe. There are a number of different shore birds with long legs and bills that look a lot like snipe to someone unfamiliar with the real bird. If you see a flock of snipe you generally aren't seeing snipe. There may be a large number of birds in an area but they act and fly as individuals often squawking as they take off. If you don't shoot, and often if you do and miss, watch them as they will frequently fly right back to where you flushed them from. Hard pass shot.
calamari
hunter

Postby Joe Hunter » Sun Jun 16, 2013 10:54 am

cal -- Good info. And yes, there are many other shore birds that closely resemble snipe. So, beware of your target before pulling the trigger! Several of my hunting buddies just don't shoot at any snipe (while we are duck hunting) because they don't know the difference between them and other shore birds, always a good policy.

Good luck.
Joe Hunter
hunter

Return to Upland Game