Season's over.

A waterfowl discussion forum focusing on Kansas duck hunting.

Moderators: T Man, Mallyard, dukhntr, cluckmeister, yellowlab

Season's over.

Postby radfordc » Sun Jan 29, 2012 9:17 am

I haven't seen much bragging about duck limits this week so that may mean everyone else had as slow a week as I did. I hunted Sat, Mon, Wed, and Fri and the only birds killed were a couple of mergansers. This was the worst late season that I've seen in many years. I don't know if it was a lack of ducks or I was just in the wrong places. Oh well...start planning for next year.

Charlie
radfordc
hunter

Re: Season's over.

Postby NC hunter » Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:57 pm

as for me....I am now in foreign country workin for uncle Sam and missed the late season, but 29 OCT thru 31 DEC was great... 185 ducks total for me (without a single damned band), so a great year on ducks overall....geese, not so much....NONE killed by me, though I only hunted exclusively for geese 2 days, but that still sucks as I hear many guys talkin about having a great year on geese- my buddies have been wearing em out this week (nothing but mallards and few gaddy)- 5 days out, 4 guys each day, all limited and waiting to hear how they did today.. Hard to say what the hell is going on- I am hunting mostly the east side of KS, also ventured to Concordia, Cheyenne bottoms, Milford, west MO a bunch, Iowa a couple times and 4 days in Arkansas. Where you been huntin?
NC hunter
hunter

Postby gooshnr » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:02 pm

In prior years I'd have ducks bombing my goose spread the weekend before or after the late segment but never when they were legal. This year things actually worked out well and had plenty of bonus action in between the goose shooting. My one attempt at a water set produced one duck, a drake common goldeneye, which is the first I've ever taken. It will be added to my collection of drake mounts in the man cave.
gooshnr
hunter

Postby EcatMagoo » Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:04 pm

I saw loads of ducks this weekend. Shot a 2 man limit from 9-11 today.
EcatMagoo
hunter

Postby mudpack » Mon Jan 30, 2012 8:25 am

The final nine days of the last split were some of the best days in a record-breaking season for me. I hunted every day except Monday (scout day) and the last day: Sunday.
Seemed to be feast or famine:
one day: zero, ZIP. I didn't fire a shot, although the two guys with me got 4 total.
one day: 4 GW drakes. That day, the group of four got 17 birds; all Greenwings!
two days: 5 birds. Group of three got 17 on one of those days, group of two got 11 on the other. (I was having gun issues until the very last day)
three days: full limits all around.

Some of the best hunts ever...and not just because of large bags.....and many things entered into making them memorable. What appeared to be a doubtful season going in, turned out to be probably the best of my life. I have been truly blessed this year, and I hope you have, too.
mudpack
hunter

Postby sarjrr » Mon Jan 30, 2012 9:03 am

Great season overall. The last split was disappointing (not unusual for the places I hunt), although the last day I managed to get 2 really nice sprigs which made it a good finish to the season. Maybe I will get after a few geese the next coule of weeks, but the end of shooting ducks is always sad.
sarjrr
hunter

Postby cbass12 » Mon Jan 30, 2012 11:10 am

We had a great last week. Our buddies shot a three man limit on friday, and saw more ducks than they've ever seen. Yesterday we got there around 330 thinking we had to get there early to get our spot. Turned out the next group didn't show up until 530...... :rolleyes: Well it was worth it anyway. We had a hard time getting birds to finish as the skim ice kept forming, but we eventually finished with a three man limit of mallards. It was an awesome way to end the season.
cbass12
hunter

Postby cONG » Tue Jan 31, 2012 10:47 pm

First day of the opening, shoot 25 ducks and 9 snow geese. Second shoot 2 man limit. Friday shoot 1 man limit. saterday day shoot 10 duck 4 hunters sucked. sunday nothing on my hunt, buddy killed 3 drake on his hunt. I have been seeing more geese now.
cONG
hunter

Postby mudpack » Wed Feb 01, 2012 6:58 am

sarjrr wrote:Great season overall. ..... the end of shooting ducks is always sad.

Amen. :thumbsup:
mudpack
hunter

Return to Kansas Duck Hunting