New to turkey hunting

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

New to turkey hunting

Postby J Locker » Wed Feb 01, 2012 10:42 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm new to turkey hunting, and new to this forum. I'm from CA and do a lot of duck hunting, but have never really done much turkey hunting. I'm wondering if any one knows of any turkey hunting spots around the central valley, and Fresno CA. I don't want to know anyone's secret spots or anything, just some general areas. I was thinking maybe above Pine flat lake, or lake don pedro. Any other tips and help would be much appreciated.
Thanks,
John
J Locker
hunter

Re: New to turkey hunting

Postby blugoose » Fri Feb 03, 2012 1:00 am

Good luck you will be going thru the learning curve. Any place where they have water and food they will hang out. Lakes are good just make sure its a legal hunt, Callin gobblers are like ducks. You have to read them. Its called taking their temperature. A hot tom will come to anything you make.Scoutin is very important, Use locater calls not turkey calls to find birds. and when hunting calling less is better. Be suttle and you will be surprised. Be a coy hen and make him try and find you. Remember they can see your eyes move so be still. Have fun with your new addiction!
blugoose
hunter

Postby J Locker » Fri Feb 03, 2012 9:21 am

Thanks for the tips
J Locker
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sat Feb 04, 2012 7:38 am

I do not know about turkey behavior out west,what I do know is that turkeys like to go into clearings after a evening of being rained on to fan out and sun themselve,a good spotting scope,bino's,will be a good plus and long range scouting works best for me,less likely to spook birds and disturb thier routines! If anything you want to keep them doing what they do every day,until the time comes for you too slip in and make a kill! Best thing too do is pump locals for stories about birds behavior in the area,what types of food sources are available too them,and head out months before the season to prospect possible properties to hunt and secure permission from land owners! Remember you will not be the only turkey hunter who is seeing the birds and there may be other hunters with permission to hunt those properties also! Scouting birds is best done 2 hour before day light,so you can hear them gobbling off the roost,and 2 hours before sun set!The sun set time is so you have time enough to locate birds feeding in the openings before going to roost,then watch the path they take to go too roost,then listen for them to gobble off the roost,this helps you locate a general area the birds are spending the night,so in the morning you can work your way in closer to that area under cover of darkness,do not use a headlamp or bright flashlight,try to get there in the dark,as close as you can,find a spot and settle down an hour before daybreak,so any noise you did make on your hike will allow time for the birds to calm down ,the tom's will gobble once the hens start flying down to start thier day,shortly after that toms will fly down,just make sure you are well camo'd and stay still,turkeys have amazing eye sight! Once on the ground toms will gobble,you will know if they are on the ground or still in the tree from the sound of the gobble,louder sounding gobbles are usually because they are high up in a tree on a side hill facing south, southeast,east,to catch the first sunlight,when they fly down the gobbles will sound muffled farther away,this usually means one of two things,he is on the ground or facing away from you in the roost,hens will usually fly down and walk back up towards where the tom is still roosted,then he will fly down once he see's his hens down bellow him,or hears them clucking and purring! The hens are busy feeding and are focused on food only scratching and purring is something they do when searchng for food or content,feeling secure and or on a food source,so remeber cover concealment,staying very still,and waiting ,patients is the key,and when the toms stop gobbling it is because they are traveling too hens,are with hens,or are otherwise content,but it does not mean they are not coming in too your calling,sometimes they come in silently and cautiously,so they do not gobble as ofter,and when a tom gobbles usually hens go to him,you are trying to make him come too you,and if he is alone and trying to find hens he will gobble,so if it gets quiet out there and you do not hear gobbling wait,once he gets done with the hens he will gobble agian looking for more hens too breed or that might be receptive to his want to breed! Sometime it take 10 minutes sometimes hours! Good luck and like it was stated above,Welcome to the addiction!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5