north dakota for 2012

Share your insight with others in the North Dakota duck hunting forum in the heart of the Prairie Pothole Region.

Moderator: Chris_Hustad

north dakota for 2012

Postby duece4ducks » Wed Feb 08, 2012 5:41 pm

Hey guys me and a few guys are planning a trip to north dakota this fall (2012) ya i know its early but i was wondering if anyone could give us some advice as when we should go and where abouts we should go that way we can get some things lined out and a place to stay figured out... we are not sure what dates yet. thought maybe someone may be able to help with that who has been there before, we dont want to show up during deer season or when everything typically is iced up.. any info would be of great help...thanks guys
duece4ducks
hunter

Re: north dakota for 2012

Postby slough » Fri Feb 10, 2012 11:10 am

I believe deer season opens on Nov. 9th this year. Seems a lot of NR come on opener, which is usually the saturday closest to Oct. 1 (that'd be sept. 29 this year) but I guess anytime works. Pretty much throw a dart at a town east of the missouri river and you'll find waterfowl. Kinda doubt anyone will give out their honeyhole.
slough
hunter

Postby BlackFoot777 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 12:24 am

Im planning a trip also. Wondering the same stuff you are. Was going to post on here too, but you already did it for me, thx. Ill just get advice off of your post.
Where would you be comin from, missouri for me.
BlackFoot777
hunter

Postby sws002 » Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:39 am

slough wrote:I believe deer season opens on Nov. 9th this year. Seems a lot of NR come on opener, which is usually the saturday closest to Oct. 1 (that'd be sept. 29 this year) but I guess anytime works. Pretty much throw a dart at a town east of the missouri river and you'll find waterfowl. Kinda doubt anyone will give out their honeyhole.

This is about the best advice you are going to get on here. Honestly, if you are any sort of duck hunter whatsoever it is not too hard to figure out. Get on google maps, look at a satellite image and find some water and a town, go there. Spend some time, put some miles on your truck and earn your birds. Nobody is going to give you a spot or birds, you are wasting your time trying. Pick a spot and earn it like the rest of us. ND is a great state for out of state hunters, probably one of the easiest ones to hunt there is, but it never ceases to amaze me that people still want help.
sws002
hunter

Postby duece4ducks » Wed Feb 15, 2012 10:14 am

thank you guys for your advice..never been up there was just wondering a what a good time was to go. Blackfoot were coming up from illinois and no problem with the post, maybe we can share some info we find out to help each other... Swsoo2, i wasnt trying to get any detailed info on anyones spots, just never been there and was asking a few questions, if someone was coming to illinois to hunt and needed help i would be one of the first to give good advice, but thats what good sportsman do. We will figure it out and we will kill our birds and have a good time, so thanks everyone.
duece4ducks
hunter

Postby sws002 » Wed Feb 15, 2012 11:11 am

duece4ducks wrote:thank you guys for your advice..never been up there was just wondering a what a good time was to go. Blackfoot were coming up from illinois and no problem with the post, maybe we can share some info we find out to help each other... Swsoo2, i wasnt trying to get any detailed info on anyones spots, just never been there and was asking a few questions, if someone was coming to illinois to hunt and needed help i would be one of the first to give good advice, but thats what good sportsman do. We will figure it out and we will kill our birds and have a good time, so thanks everyone.

Spin it any way you want, it is still internet scouting. North Dakota is one of the last (if not the last) states that allows hunters access to any un-posted land, why do you need our help? Like I said, look at a map, pick a spot with water, it really is hard to screw up. Someone was nice enough to even suggest which half of the state to pick, that's better than I would have given you. Fact is, if you were coming to my state for a hunt, I would probably hook up with you and hunt somewhere as I know how difficult it can be to get permission on private land when you are here for the entire year, let alone a couple days, but I still wouldn't tell you where you could hunt my spots on your own. Not the same problem in ND, you can hunt damn near anywhere, all you gotta do is find some birds. Dumb sportsman give out their spots, which is shortly followed by a rich sportsman leasing it and ruining it for everyone.
sws002
hunter

Postby jgoetz » Sun Feb 19, 2012 7:58 am

After living in North Dakota for 6 years and hunting out there I have to agree with sws002 on this one. Throw a dart at the eastern half of the state. Hunt there.

Take all the threads about "I am coming to ND to hunt, help me out" and count the average number of total posts by the OP. Its usually single digits. Signing up for an internet forum and going "help me out guys" is not scouting. Now if you have a couple hundred posts and a few years under your belt asking forum friends that you have established a relationship with (albeit online) is different.

My advice: SCOUT! Waste GAS! ND is stupid easy to hunt. I would scout on average for about 25 hours prior to the season opening and would be able to limit before I got the blocks set up when the birds were there. STUPID EASY if you put in the work.
Talk crap, get hit!
jgoetz
hunter

Postby Mcguins45 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 9:28 am

Dam all the man wanted was some advice didn't ask we're anyone's honey hole was. Sounds like you all don't like out of staters. Hell you can't kill all of em. You never know you help a man out he might just return the favor. I'll tell you in a heartbeat were to hunt but if you don't know what's working I'll kill ducks and you won't
Mcguins45
Newb

Postby sws002 » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:48 pm

Mcguins45 wrote:Dam all the man wanted was some advice didn't ask we're anyone's honey hole was. Sounds like you all don't like out of staters. Hell you can't kill all of em. You never know you help a man out he might just return the favor. I'll tell you in a heartbeat were to hunt but if you don't know what's working I'll kill ducks and you won't

First of all, congratulations on digging up a dead thread. Second of all, look at the comments, half of them are from out-of-staters who get sick of people not willing to put in the work. Also, read my post, I even stated that if you were coming to my state and needed help, I would be more than happy to take you out, but I definitely wouldn't just hand over my honey holes as that is a damn good way to burn some bridges with landowners.
sws002
hunter

Postby dduckman » Thu Jun 28, 2012 7:17 am

I may have to find a friendlier state to come out and hunt geeze :hi:
dduckman
hunter

Postby sws002 » Thu Jun 28, 2012 6:04 pm

dduckman wrote:I may have to find a friendlier state to come out and hunt geeze :hi:

Or perhaps spend this goose season practicing your reading comprehension so you can actually understand what people are saying on here. North Dakota is one of the friendliest, if not the best state for OOSER's, but you can't just come on here and expect people to hand over their honey holes. Think about it, you can hunt ANY land that isn't posted, and you can basically throw a dart at North Dakota and find birds, what the hell do you need help for? Everybody who has commented on here who you would consider "unfriendly" is someone who put in the hours, spent the money on gas, did their own scouting, and most likely were fairly successful. You, however, would rather try and find an easier way to hunt in possibly the easiest state there is to hunt. I equate people who ask where to hunt in North Dakota to people on welfare, you want me to do all the work and then pass all the benefits on to you. I've said it once and I'll say it again, if you are ever looking to hunt in Nebraska, I would be more than happy to take you out on a hunt, as it can be hard to find somewhere to hunt in short notice without hiring a guide, but this is not the case in North Dakota. Man up, do your homework and earn your birds. End of rant.
sws002
hunter

Postby backwoodsboy09 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 8:14 am

Being an out of stater myself, I never realized the bird population there until I went. When he sais you can throw a dart at the map and find birds, he isn't kidding! Pick up a PLOTS book and pick a pothole!

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk 2
2011-2012
4 Bands
18 Mallards
7 BW Teal
9 Gadwall
11 Shovelers
1 Pintail
1 Ringbill
3 Woodies
22 Canadians
backwoodsboy09
hunter

Postby dduckman » Fri Jun 29, 2012 11:45 am

well when you travel 12 hrs to any destination a little research ahead of time is a huge benefit, some of these will be the same guys that when you get will say you should have done your homework before you came

If as everyone says you can hunt anywhere then what is the big secret, nobody wants your super secret spot just a little help, and you never know you may make a new friend with a killer spot south of you when your season is closed.
dduckman
hunter

Postby sws002 » Sat Jun 30, 2012 10:18 am

dduckman wrote:well when you travel 12 hrs to any destination a little research ahead of time is a huge benefit, some of these will be the same guys that when you get will say you should have done your homework before you came

If as everyone says you can hunt anywhere then what is the big secret, nobody wants your super secret spot just a little help, and you never know you may make a new friend with a killer spot south of you when your season is closed.

That's weird because we traveled about 15 hours and just flew by the seat of our pants and still managed about 20 birds a day. And yes, we did find one "super-secret" honey hole, but one other group found it as well, so we had to deal with them half the time we were there. We plan to go back to the same area this year, so what happens if another group located our honey hole and then I also gave you my spot as well. Now you're talking about 4 groups that could very well end up trying to hunt the same spot at the same time, and I truly believe that is underselling it. Truth is, there is a lot of competition out there, but there are also a lot of spots to hunt. People are very protective of the spots they have found, because it usually cost them a lot of time and money to find them, but that doesn't mean good spots are hard to find, just means most people traveled from quite a ways and did the work themselves. I cannot say this enough, throw a dart at North Dakota, find a town with a hotel, and if you have any knowledge about ducks/geese and their habits, you will kill birds. Matter of fact, if you manage to end up where we hunt, I'm not gonna try and run you off or skybust your birds or shoot your swing, I'll let the chips fall where they may and may the best setup win. Like I said, I see no need to do any internet scouting in the easiest state in the nation to scout. Just go, you'll see what I mean when you get there, and then you can come back and blast all the people that ask for help because you will realize how stupid it really is.
sws002
hunter

Postby H2OfowlND » Sat Jun 30, 2012 11:29 am

I couldn't have said it better myself "sws002", and I'm a ND resident!

H2OfowlND
H2OfowlND
hunter

Return to North Dakota Duck Hunting