Wonder Duck reviews?

Duck Hunting for puddlers like Mallards, Sprig (Pintails), Black ducks, Widgeons, Woodducks, Teal, and other ducks.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, Token, duckbuster06

Wonder Duck reviews?

Postby Yellowdogs » Wed Feb 08, 2012 6:10 pm

Wonderduck reviews? http://www.wonderduck.com/ Anyone use these? in salt water? with or without a mojo? The videos look good but it is alot of money just to give it a try.
Yellowdogs
hunter

Re: Wonder Duck reviews?

Postby duckstopper333 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:02 pm

I've had a couple like the type on the right for a few years. I've never used it with the wings. They're a little noisy, but I've had ducks land right next to them and they didn't seem to care. If you use them in clear water they work better. In weedy water the paddles will eventually collect some vegetation and stop moving.

The "Super Wonderduck" is a better choice. It has only one paddle, kicks up lots of water, swims in circles, and doesn't pick up weeds as much as the other type.

Never used either type in saltwater, but have used them with a Mojo.
duckstopper333
hunter

Wonder Duck reviews?

Postby hitnrun » Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:26 pm

I have used one for a few seasons. I have had to send It back twice for new motors. One of the motors went out less than a month after it was replaced. $30 will get you a pair of new motors though. When it works, it works well in my opinion. Kicks up a lot of water. Does collect vegetation if you don't clear an area around it or pick a spot deep enough.

Mine runs on two D batteries. I switched to rechargeables after awhile. D batteries are $$$! They last about 10 hours max on a full charge.

Never used one in saltwater, but I can say that these decoys get soaked and even collect water on the inside. Something to keep in mind if hunting in salt water. I have to wipe mine down every hunt.

And I have used it with mojos as well. Gives a different look to the spread on calm days.
Last edited by hitnrun on Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hitnrun
hunter

Postby Yellowdogs » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:13 am

I understand from the web site that they have reworked the decoy and that it is now "waterproof" and comes with a lifetime warranty. The idea of a swimming, moving, splashing decoy makes sense to me. I would think it would attrack ducks without flairing them the way a mojo sometimes does. The question for me is will it last and it sounds like they have not perfected it yet.
Yellowdogs
hunter

Wonder Duck reviews?

Postby hitnrun » Sat Feb 11, 2012 2:56 pm

JUST got it back today after having both motors replaced ($30). They seem stronger and better sealed at the attachment point on the shaft. Just have to wait a year to test.

Quick math:

~$100 new

First time sent in cost $55. Two new motors, waterproof switch and round trip shipping

Second time sent in cost $50 for two of the new "waterproof" motors and shipping.

So it's now $205 decoy!! You would think they could comp the shipping or make a deal on the motors or something since one of the first new motors went out 2 days after they shipped it back to me. But no. Just an unusual customer service policy...

YMMV
hitnrun
hunter

Postby SmilingDuck » Sat Feb 18, 2012 9:25 pm

Your lucky you don't use it in salt water your 200 wonder duck is gonna break down for sure.
SmilingDuck
hunter

Postby alloutwar13 » Sun Feb 19, 2012 3:29 pm

why not just get a pull string mojo and mount it so the wings just clip the first .5" of water? you would have the same thing just powered by your arm so unless that falls off youd be good to go.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Postby dbrown57 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 11:34 am

I have had up to four at one time. They are good because of the differnet look you get as oposed to a mojo. I just sent and old one in the be repaired and got it back in 4 days! They have great customer service and quick turn around. Each year the decoys get better and better. Now they have most every species of puddle duck and a variety of attachments. I have killed several ducks over them and believe they are one of the best motorized decoy out there, not only that but its an American company. Dont take my word for it but the duck commandet boys used them in their older videos before they got to be big reality tv stars.
PRO STAFF FOR CRITTER DONE GAME CALLS
dbrown57
hunter

Postby threedogs » Wed Sep 25, 2013 9:51 pm

Many years ago I purchased 2 of them. They were junk then with really poor customer service.
Thread Killer
threedogs
hunter

Return to Puddler Duck Hunting