Grizzly 1448 Remodel

A duck boat forum to discuss duck hunting boats, mud motors, and everything related.

Moderators: jamesmc, Dogman, NCSUDucker, nitrousneil

Re: Grizzly 1448 Remodel

Postby GooseHunter131 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:05 pm

Looking good!! Glad you like the Parkers paint. It's good stuff. Keep the pics coming! I love to see boat transformations. Huff
GooseHunter131
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sat Mar 10, 2012 9:38 am

Thanks alot guys. I got a pretty busy Saturday today so I probably wont get a whole lot accomplished until tomorrow but I got the stencils yesterday and need to start practicing with those. I think I might just stencil the outside but I am not totally sure yet. The weather looks like its going to break this week and we are going to get some 60 degree days so I need to get moving on this thing in time to start fishin.
t_baker
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:11 am

You got one heck of a deal on that boat and your work is looking absolutely amazing. Keep the updates and pics coming. :beer:
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:22 pm

Well i spent a few hours stenciling the transom. I really was very unhappy with how it turned out. I used a dark brown first to do the "spots" and then black to do the "bark" and then the kahki to do the marsh grass. I was happy until I put the marsh grass down in the kahki. It made it WAY to light. I am debating weather or not to just skip the stencils all together or try to find a darker tan color for the marsh grass. Any advice or pics would be great. I will probably grab a switch panel tomorrow at work and start figuring out this wiring mess sometime soon also. My goal is to be done by next saturday. Saugeye are starting to bite at the lake so I need to get a move on....FAST.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:25 pm

airborneduckhunter wrote:You got one heck of a deal on that boat and your work is looking absolutely amazing. Keep the updates and pics coming. :beer:

Thank you. I try to keep everything i own in great shape weather its mechanicly or cosmetic. This boat wont be any differnt
t_baker
hunter

Postby airborneduckhunter » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:22 pm

You're welcome. Let's see some pics of the stencil job thus far. It may just be that you put the grass too close together which is giving it such a light look.
"People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf."-George Orwell
airborneduckhunter
hunter

Postby Puddle jumper82 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:41 pm

Great build youve got there. As for the khaki being to light, you can lay the grass stencil back over whats done and spray brown lightly over the khaki to darken and add a shadow effect. Best when done with airbrush but rattle cans work too. With the wiring I use 3/8 or 1/2 in. rubber fuel line, run your wires through the line first then install. You can run extra wires for future addition or a few pieces of string to make repairs as painless as they can be. I like the fuel line cause it wont rattle, break, and its a clean install. Hope this helps and good luck.
Puddle jumper82
Newb

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:15 am

airborneduckhunter wrote:You're welcome. Let's see some pics of the stencil job thus far. It may just be that you put the grass too close together which is giving it such a light look.

I was so unhappy I repainted the transom once it was finished.
t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 6:17 am

Puddle jumper82 wrote:Great build youve got there. As for the khaki being to light, you can lay the grass stencil back over whats done and spray brown lightly over the khaki to darken and add a shadow effect. Best when done with airbrush but rattle cans work too. With the wiring I use 3/8 or 1/2 in. rubber fuel line, run your wires through the line first then install. You can run extra wires for future addition or a few pieces of string to make repairs as painless as they can be. I like the fuel line cause it wont rattle, break, and its a clean install. Hope this helps and good luck.

I tried that...I was still unhappy. I think I am going to try a darker kahki/tan and see how I like it.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Joepowe8 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:50 am

Does the paint hold up good over that raptor bedliner? I've got a gallon waiting to be applied but we cant decide on the color. I did a lot of lookin before I bought the gallon and raptor seemed to be the best for what I wanted.

BTW, looks good. That 14footer looks a lot bigger than mine.
A drunk man's words are a sober mans thoughts.
Joepowe8
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:57 am

As long as you put the paint over the bedliner within 24 hours it will hold up fine. I have been spraying raptor on customers and my vehicles for 6 years and for a DIY bed liner it is by far the best. Be sure to prep the surface with 80 grit. Use etching primer and spray at the desired pressure.
t_baker
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Tue Mar 13, 2012 1:55 pm

The remodel is coming along AWESOME. A little work and paint goes a long way!

carolinagreenhead wrote:I need to quit looking at this thread. Your making me want to do another project. My wife would run me out of the house!!

:lol3:

I thought the same thing. I'm getting the itch to start one, after fishing season and before hunting is when I like to pack in the projects.

t-baker-

heres a picture of my stencil job. Using styx river and going by their instructions....(my first ever paint job)
Attachments
bt stencil finish side.JPG
bt stencil fin bow.JPG
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:04 pm

I took a cardboard box tonight and painted it up and did some stencil work to it. I basically came up with not using all the marsh grass, instead just spotting in the grass. Take a look and let me know what you think.

t_baker
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:08 pm

grizz18 wrote:The remodel is coming along AWESOME. A little work and paint goes a long way!
t-baker-

heres a picture of my stencil job. Using styx river and going by their instructions....(my first ever paint job)

Thanks for the picture and the compliments. Whats the chance that you still have those instructions and wouldnt mind emailing them to me? Maybe there is something i am over looking? I have not done alot of stencil work and the instuctions I got with mine were very poor.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Neogahbow » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:18 pm

Not sure where you are hunting but, marsh grass looks a little light in color. Not say'ng there any thing wrong with it but, light for my taste. Your boat is looking really geat, keep up the good work! Thanks for the pics.
Winds from the East, ducks fly the least! Winds from the West, ducks fly the best!
And if the winds don't blow, the ducks don't fly and the fish won't bite!
Neogahbow
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:22 pm

Neogahbow wrote:Not sure where you are hunting but, marsh grass looks a little light in color. Not say'ng there any thing wrong with it but, light for my taste. Your boat is looking really geat, keep up the good work! Thanks for the pics.

As I mentioned in above posts...that is my issue with doing the stencils now. The kahki is way to light. I am going to get some darker tan/brown and am leaning towards doing the stencil in the above pattern.
t_baker
hunter

Postby grizz18 » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:14 am

t_baker wrote:
grizz18 wrote:The remodel is coming along AWESOME. A little work and paint goes a long way!
t-baker-

Thanks for the picture and the compliments. Whats the chance that you still have those instructions and wouldnt mind emailing them to me? Maybe there is something i am over looking? I have not done alot of stencil work and the instuctions I got with mine were very poor.

Sorry, I lost the instructions a while ago. Try calling Styxriver and see if there is anyway you can get them to send you a set of instruction, or maybe google around. May even try ebay.
grizz18
Squatch Life

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:43 am

I think your forgetting one very important step in your stenciling. I have the same MOSG pattern and was really displeased because the grass was too light and overpowering. Use your brown and green to highlight the grass. This will give it depth and tone it down. Then your background will show better and have more detail. Don't forget shadowing as well.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:38 am

carolinagreenhead wrote:I think your forgetting one very important step in your stenciling. I have the same MOSG pattern and was really displeased because the grass was too light and overpowering. Use your brown and green to highlight the grass. This will give it depth and tone it down. Then your background will show better and have more detail. Don't forget shadowing as well.

Thank you for the advice. I will play around with my cardboard some more tonight. At this point i am really tempted to leave it the OD green seeing as how my blind will hang low enough to cover the boat most likely. Plus I am itching to go fishing pretty bad. Weather went from low 40's last week to Mid 70's this week!
t_baker
hunter

Postby carolinagreenhead » Wed Mar 14, 2012 10:56 am

Look at the links in my signature. Both are the same pattern for the most part. One is not highlighted at all. I didn't know any better. The other is highlighted with close up pics so you can see the difference and what it does.
carolinagreenhead
hunter

Postby Natural Camo Face Paint » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:19 pm

I like that camo look you did a great job should fit in all over as i see it.
Sven Fleischaker
32675 hill ave
Redwing Mn 55066
651-380-2058
Natural Camo Face Paint
hunter

Postby t_baker » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:36 pm

Thought I would give this a bump and update it. Changed a few things lately.

Had some issues last year after I got the boat. Moral of the story. Long shaft on a short transom. Fixed that with the same year Johnson that I had on it just short shaft. Motor was white and hidious so I painted it long before I put it on the boat and put a new prop on it.

Also got all the lights wired in that I ordered from Toller shortly after I made this thread. Never posted pics. Not the greatest because the blind is covering them but they really put the light out.

Got rid of the blind that was on it. It worked but had to be up in order to be in the boat. Acted like a sail from time to time.
Couple pics from last year.

Decided that I wanted a scissor style blind. So I built one and ordered a load of raffia and brushed it.Killed a few teal out of it so far this year so I guess it works.

Got bored today and drug the stencils out. Happy with how it turned out.

In the end I have been very happy with this boat. Glad I went with the 14. Its perfect for 2 guys and a dog and it hides about anywhere.
t_baker
hunter

Postby omaha » Tue Sep 24, 2013 6:57 pm

Wow if I lived near you I would pay you to paint my boat
omaha
hunter

Postby t_baker » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:40 am

omaha wrote:Wow if I lived near you I would pay you to paint my boat

I know some good shipping company's. :wink:
t_baker
hunter

Postby z51 » Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:54 am

Nice job.
Last edited by z51 on Wed Sep 25, 2013 8:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
z51
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Waterfowl Boats, Motors, & Boat Blinds