Competition call

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

Competition call

Postby bakerboyz » Thu Feb 09, 2012 1:13 pm

My son has been bit by the competition bug. I'm not a competition caller. I just call'm & kill'm. He wants to get a call and I have no idea what to get. He has a wingnut call but I believe it is a little much for his lungs. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
bakerboyz
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 am
Location: Old Church, VA.


Re: Competition call

Postby mayhem96 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 7:21 pm

Probably something a little higher pitched would be what he needs. Probably has more to do with the tuning than anything. Get him comfortable to blowing one call. Maybe something like a FP Matrix or a smaller, higher pitched call. It can sometimes be hard to break a real deep call over and get the range you are looking for. But, definitely want something small, and responsive. I think Scott Threinen talks about when you are tuning the call, if you want it higher pitched, then leave less reed showing...move the wedge up. This makes perfect sense. Keep in mind that the less reed you have to move, the easier it is to blow. Definitely tell him there is a BIG difference in Comp. Calling and blowing a call when your out hunting! Hope this helps!! PM me or any other guys out there and we will be glad to help your son out!!
Ben
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Competition call

Postby waterfowl1030 » Thu Feb 09, 2012 8:50 pm

I too am just getting into comp calling, best advice i can give you is to get a copy of MOLT GEAR'S STAGE GRAMMER. This is the best dvd i have found to break down and explain comp calling. As far as calls come, a shorter call is going to sound great on the high end but, bringing the call down on the low end will be a little more difficult but yes tuning does play a part. My comp call is a bill saunders g.p. and it blows pretty easy. Couple things to do to make a call blow easier are to shorten the length of the reed, and also you can take some emory board and just lightly sand the reed, this will make the call turn over easier. Best advice i can give tho is to take your son to a cabela's or someplace that has lots of calls and let him run some. Like i've said, i like saunders calls and think they run really easy but thats just my opinion, if you have any other questions, feel free to pm me
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
User avatar
waterfowl1030
hunter
 
Posts: 290
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 3:02 pm
Location: Muskegon, MI

Re: Competition call

Postby bakerboyz » Fri Feb 10, 2012 7:34 am

He got the Stage Grammar DVD for Christmas and is coming along with the calling and routine. Like you both said it is the high to low and back he is having trouble with. We'll try you all's suggestions and see what happens. I have told him that comp calling and hunting are two totally different things. He got bit by the bug while we were working a competition with our DU chapter. He has until September before his go at it. I hope with my dose of reality and support he will stick with it. He really enjoys it. Mom is missing the quiet around the house.
bakerboyz
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 am
Location: Old Church, VA.

Re: Competition call

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 pm

My mom is the same way!! Good luck!! Let us know what call he gets!!
Ben
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Competition call

Postby duckmnn » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:24 pm

Check out Fowl obsession website.He has done alot of competing himself.Also his calls are a lot better price and are very nice .
User avatar
duckmnn
hunter
 
Posts: 295
Joined: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:33 pm

Re: Competition call

Postby duck1nut » Sun Feb 12, 2012 7:47 pm

You can also give John Taylor a call, at bay country calls. He makes a shorething that is also a very good call, and is good at helping people out.
duck1nut
hunter
 
Posts: 26
Joined: Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:39 am

Re: Competition call

Postby jwoodcock » Thu Feb 16, 2012 7:39 am

Call Tim or Hunter Grounds 618-983-5649. They have a great line of contest calls, but also have a lot of knowledge of the sport.
People from the hunting industry let you down. I have no idols in this sport.
jwoodcock
hunter
 
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:11 pm
Location: Henrietta NY

Re: Competition call

Postby the cashman » Fri Feb 17, 2012 9:21 pm

Not agreeing with the higher pitched call for a comp call. Most comp callers would tell you that judges tend to be a bit more responsive to a lower pitched call. A higher pitched call would be a bit more suited for the field. A good comp call is going to have a great range and nice low end.

That Bay Country ShoreThing is a great call. Give Mr. John a call and he'll set you up!
The Grounds line-up is about a fantastic a line up that is out there and both Hunter and Tim are great to deal with.
GK has a dang good line-up of comp calls too.
The FP adrenaline is a nice call too, give it a try!
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
User avatar
the cashman
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Competition call

Postby tripleb » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:22 am

the cashman wrote:Not agreeing with the higher pitched call for a comp call. Most comp callers would tell you that judges tend to be a bit more responsive to a lower pitched call. A higher pitched call would be a bit more suited for the field. A good comp call is going to have a great range and nice low end.

That Bay Country ShoreThing is a great call. Give Mr. John a call and he'll set you up!
The Grounds line-up is about a fantastic a line up that is out there and both Hunter and Tim are great to deal with.
GK has a dang good line-up of comp calls too.
The FP adrenaline is a nice call too, give it a try!


You're probably right about the differences in call pitches. But, if the kid is having problems with a Wingnut call in breaking it over, getting him a lower pitched competition type call is probably going to be even more difficult for him. I'd be inclined to let him stick with the Wingnut until he has a chance to develop some lung capacity and get to a waterfowl show or Cabelas and actually try some other calls himself.
tripleb
hunter
 
Posts: 1301
Joined: Sat Apr 09, 2011 8:39 am

Re: Competition call

Postby the cashman » Sat Feb 18, 2012 8:59 pm

tripleb wrote:
the cashman wrote:Not agreeing with the higher pitched call for a comp call. Most comp callers would tell you that judges tend to be a bit more responsive to a lower pitched call. A higher pitched call would be a bit more suited for the field. A good comp call is going to have a great range and nice low end.

That Bay Country ShoreThing is a great call. Give Mr. John a call and he'll set you up!
The Grounds line-up is about a fantastic a line up that is out there and both Hunter and Tim are great to deal with.
GK has a dang good line-up of comp calls too.
The FP adrenaline is a nice call too, give it a try!


You're probably right about the differences in call pitches. But, if the kid is having problems with a Wingnut call in breaking it over, getting him a lower pitched competition type call is probably going to be even more difficult for him. I'd be inclined to let him stick with the Wingnut until he has a chance to develop some lung capacity and get to a waterfowl show or Cabelas and actually try some other calls himself.


I get where you're coming from there. Those wingmann/wingnuts are pretty easy running from the ones I've used. If those calls are too much on his lungs, we've probably got to do a bit more learning and practicing, or that call could use a tune. I find the Zink line up to be pretty easy on air, I can't run run most of them because I've learned on calls that require more air than most of them.
N.O. Guide Service: D.D.F. Division Supervisor

Team J.Mc All-Stars

"A duck call in the hands of the unskilled is one of conservation's greatest assets" ~ Nash Buckingham
User avatar
the cashman
hunter
 
Posts: 61
Joined: Mon Jan 09, 2012 10:41 am

Re: Competition call

Postby Fowl-Attitude » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 am

I have called and helped judge my fair share of contests. It is not only the call you choose but getting that call tuned right. I seen a young man last season using a HYBRID from Gander Valley, this call sounded outstanding and it was a standout in volume that day. I was approached by him afterwards to get notes on his routine. That sis when I learned what call he was running. I will throw this call into list. Mark is a great guy to deal with as well, and I know he takes his customer service serious.
Callum Close .... then CRUSHUM!!!!
User avatar
Fowl-Attitude
hunter
 
Posts: 285
Joined: Sun Mar 02, 2008 10:35 pm
Location: MT

Re: Competition call

Postby bakerboyz » Tue Feb 21, 2012 1:19 pm

We're going to try a few different calls and even try to tune the wingman. Thanks for all the help.
bakerboyz
hunter
 
Posts: 40
Joined: Mon Oct 25, 2010 11:56 am
Location: Old Church, VA.

Re: Competition call

Postby rpsank13 » Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:15 pm

i would get a sean mann eastern shoreman it is a flute so it is pretty easy to use and even easier than a wing nutz calls and also it has a lower tone to it.
rpsank13
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Competition call

Postby huntandride » Mon Mar 04, 2013 11:18 pm

Id get a polycarb super mag and put tripple crown guts in it if you wanna stay on somewhat of a budget.
huntandride
hunter
 
Posts: 78
Joined: Mon May 07, 2012 9:45 pm
Location: Reno,NV

Re: Competition call

Postby rpsank13 » Sat Mar 09, 2013 7:31 pm

also the sean mann eastern shoreman has the world champions title and it is at a low budjet of 50$
rpsank13
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Competition call

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Mon Mar 11, 2013 10:38 am

Get him a Tim Grounds Triple Crown I don't comp call for geese but I can really get it going fast. Good low end too. Don't get him a poly call get him a nice one!
WIDrakeKiller
hunter
 
Posts: 433
Joined: Tue Feb 28, 2012 8:34 pm

Re: Competition call

Postby DMBgoosehunter13 » Mon Mar 11, 2013 1:19 pm

WIDrakeKiller wrote:Get him a Tim Grounds Triple Crown I don't comp call for geese but I can really get it going fast. Good low end too. Don't get him a poly call get him a nice one!


A poly supermag with Triple Crown guts is a nice one! :yes:
User avatar
DMBgoosehunter13
hunter
 
Posts: 525
Joined: Wed Jan 19, 2011 8:26 am
Location: Maryland

Re: Competition call

Postby rpsank13 » Fri Mar 29, 2013 11:53 pm

the triple crown is a really nice call but it takes a whole lot of air but sean mann eastern shoreman comes in at just 50 $ for the polycarbonate call, has won not only the world champions title but the worlds champion of champions title, and it takes barely any air to blow at all so just trust me it would be perfect.
rpsank13
hunter
 
Posts: 8
Joined: Mon Mar 04, 2013 9:09 pm

Re: Competition call

Postby 541-feet-down » Sat Mar 30, 2013 12:06 am

maybe the tim grounds real thang? shorter call going to fit his hands well I'd imagine. have the triple crown, super mag with TC guts and a real thang. the real thang is my overall favorite and personally has a fantastic low end IMO! all about preference though.
When you come into a morning meeting and forget your lanyard around your neck you may have an addiction.
541-feet-down
hunter
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Thu Feb 14, 2013 3:53 am

Re: Competition call

Postby HUNT24/7 » Sun Mar 31, 2013 7:12 pm

Before you sink some bucks into a new call, make sure it is tuned properly. If he is having trouble breaking it over, shaving the reed will make that easier & not really change the pitch of the call. This is something that you might not want to attempt if you've never done it before.
User avatar
HUNT24/7
hunter
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: N.B Canada

Re: Competition call

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 5:27 pm

HUNT24/7 wrote:Before you sink some bucks into a new call, make sure it is tuned properly. If he is having trouble breaking it over, shaving the reed will make that easier & not really change the pitch of the call. This is something that you might not want to attempt if you've never done it before.


Shaving the reed could cause the call to lose some of its crack
mayhem96
hunter
 
Posts: 1835
Joined: Sun Nov 27, 2011 5:54 pm
Location: Burlington, NC

Re: Competition call

Postby HUNT24/7 » Mon Apr 01, 2013 7:30 pm

mayhem96 wrote:
HUNT24/7 wrote:Before you sink some bucks into a new call, make sure it is tuned properly. If he is having trouble breaking it over, shaving the reed will make that easier & not really change the pitch of the call. This is something that you might not want to attempt if you've never done it before.


Shaving the reed could cause the call to lose some of its crack


True, but better than no crack at all.
User avatar
HUNT24/7
hunter
 
Posts: 261
Joined: Thu Jan 18, 2007 7:43 pm
Location: N.B Canada


Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 7 guests