Duck Hunting Forum banner

Is it bad to freeze duck twice?

11K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  slowshooter 
#1 ·
I took some duck out of the freezer and cut up some breasts to make some jerky, all of it wouldn't fit on my racks so I put the other 5 or so breasts back in the freezer. I heard today that it is bad to re freeze meat, should I toss it or is it fine? Any help is much appreciated!

#3 ·
I've done it before and ate it and I'm still alive and didn't have any issues I did it with a bunch I goose meat not to long ago thawed out a bunch of breast I didn't feel like grinding up after I cleaned the birds and just froze the breast I recently pulled them out and ground it all up into burger and froze the majority of it again and it's not the first time I've done it i guess it might taste a little better if I didn't refreeze it but whatever I wasn't about to throw out almost 20lbs of meat that is still good in my opinion my feeling is unless it has set out for a while close to room temperature rather than being cold it's probably still safe unless you don't cook it fully

#6 ·
Each time you freeze and refreeze meat you break down the cell structure. That releases the juices in the meat which is why you see liquid gather in a freezer bag on defrosting. You can cook with that liquid but you can't put that flavor back into the meat.

Each time you refreeze and defrost you lose quality.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.