What to do in Cordova, AK?

Discussion topics include Alaska sea duck hunting and other species.

Moderator: badandy970

What to do in Cordova, AK?

Postby duckman27 » Sat Feb 18, 2012 10:38 pm

I might be working in Cordova for a few months this summer. What is there to do there hunting and fishing wise?
duckman27
hunter

Re: What to do in Cordova, AK?

Postby AK Ray » Sun Feb 19, 2012 10:11 pm

In the summer the only hunting until August is black bear. Come the first week of August deer season starts, but you will need a boat or a plane to get to the islands to find them. Black bears are all over town.

Fishing. In Cordova? I don't think there is any fishing down that way.

Actually you should ask, "What fishing can I NOT do in Cordova?" That would be an easier question to answer.
AK Ray
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 12:37 am

AK Ray wrote:In the summer the only hunting until August is black bear. Come the first week of August deer season starts, but you will need a boat or a plane to get to the islands to find them. Black bears are all over town.

Fishing. In Cordova? I don't think there is any fishing down that way.

Actually you should ask, "What fishing can I NOT do in Cordova?" That would be an easier question to answer.

The black bear season actually closes June10 and opens again September 10

I'm in Cordova (Cortucky) often and work on the ferry. There isn't a whole lot of road. Usually there is about 50 miles to go out to Child's Glacier, but the bridge at 36 mile is eroding away and closed there. A bike will get you to most places you need to go, even duck hunting. Duck season starts September 1st. The popular fishing spots are Eyak river at 6 mile. (Within 200 yards of the bridge is flyfishing only with no lead) where you can catch reds (sockeye) pink salmon, silver salmon and dolly varden. At 7 mile (Ibeck River) The pinks and Silvers are thick. Lots of cars and tourists. Down Whiteshed road in July is pinks, chums and an occasional silver.
In the ponds down by the airport and all the way down the road, cutthroat trout are prolific. There are deer on the mainland, but harder to find. Anyway, lots of outdoorsy things. Invest in Xtra Tuff boots and rain gear. Weather can be a little sucky. I'm in Cordova right now and will be here fairly often through October. I'm usually out and about when not working.
Oh one more thing, bring women. Odds are very stacked against you, FYI.
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Postby duckman27 » Tue Mar 06, 2012 2:31 am

Thanks for the help. I'm through step one of coming up there so I hope I can make it through the rest
duckman27
hunter

Postby waldo2382 » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:16 pm

what will you be doing when you're up here?
Alaskans for Global Warming

"Computer games don't affect kids; I mean if Pac-Man affected us as kids, we'd all be running around in darkened rooms, munching magic pills and listening to repetitive electronic music."
waldo2382
hunter

Return to Alaska Duck Hunting