New Guy Needs Help

A place for young hunters to discuss topics of interest.

Moderator: captainkevan

New Guy Needs Help

Postby pork4life » Mon Feb 20, 2012 1:27 pm

How much should someone call whistling ducks like pintail, green-winged teal, widgeon, etc. Also which ducks should I use a mallard call, I have the Buck Gardner Baby Buck and the Primos whistle. I'm new to duck hunting.
Rick Hall wrote:If you look close, you'll see "momma" has a pecker.
pork4life
hunter

Re: New Guy Needs Help

Postby MossyMallard12 » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:28 pm

What I do is just mix in, around here Wigeons are RARE so I don't us it often. In between calling just blow the whistle. Around here Teal will eat up a peep from the whistle. You can even do Mallard Drake on a whistle.
Last edited by MossyMallard12 on Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby 2500hdon37s » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:10 am

Duck whistle is all you ever need to kill birds, no need to spend $100 on a duck call when you can buy a $10 whistle and hammer birds!
NRA and DU member, are you? if not you should be!

rabbitdundied wrote: I use my mojos in places I don't want birds to land.
2500hdon37s
Forum Moderator

Postby MossyMallard12 » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:17 am

I've never heard of any one using just a whistle before,but if you want a Mallard hen don't go and buy fancy $200 call right now on Wing Supply they have REALLY CHEAP CALLS ON CLOSE OUT!!! Here is the link http://www.wingsupply.com/categories/cl ... calls.html
Chillin', Killin', Grillin'!
MossyMallard12
hunter

Postby clays all day » Tue Jul 17, 2012 10:44 am

Im 17 and need to know if i can transport my own shotgun I know it can be loaded
clays all day
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:07 pm

clays all day wrote:Im 17 and need to know if i can transport my own shotgun I know it can be loaded

Every state has its own laws regarding firearms and age, but unless I didn't get your post right, you should NEVER be transporting a loaded firearm unless you are in law enforcement. Your shotgun should not be loaded until you are actively hunting, especially if you are young or otherwise inexperienced.
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Zochbirds » Tue Jul 17, 2012 4:10 pm

If you are hunting "ducks" the answer is yes you need a mallard call. But for me everywhere I go its a bix bag, so what I have on my lanyard is a mallard call (2 actually), a whistle for wigeon and teal, A goose call, and then a pintail whistle. I will usually start off 95% of the time with my mallard call when ever I see a duck no matter what. I have wigeon and pintails come in my spread all the time with just a mallard call. If your trying to get the bigger flocks to come in its best to match there call, so for wigeon use a wigeon call. Its pretty basic. Get good at identifying ducks from any range, any weather, any angle. Make sure you have all of those decoys too. Dont be trying to call in pintails and have no pintails in your spread, it just wont work. Same with wigeon and all the other ducks. In my spread I have mallards, pintail, wigeon,and geese. I will also have about 70 decoys out, 50% mallard 30% wigeon, 30% pintail, and 10% geese. Depending where I am hunting I will have divers. Last year I shot 72 ducks and only 3 of them being mallards and honestly I dont ever recall using any other call then my mallard call. Only duck I never call at our dont have decoys for is the teal. I think the little decoys are a pain in the ass and I dont like to shoot the hens all day since the drakes are hard to pick out. But they still come right in all the time without even calling. I hope this helps, If you have anymore questions PM me.
Spencer
If that doesn't get your blood boiling... nothing will.
2013-2014
Pintails-3
spoonbills-1
wigeon-10
teal-2
total:16
Zochbirds
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Tue Jul 17, 2012 8:17 pm

RustyGunz1960 wrote:
clays all day wrote:Im 17 and need to know if i can transport my own shotgun I know it can be loaded

Every state has its own laws regarding firearms and age, but unless I didn't get your post right, you should NEVER be transporting a loaded firearm unless you are in law enforcement. Your shotgun should not be loaded until you are actively hunting, especially if you are young or otherwise inexperienced.

I was elk hunting with my buddy and his 15 year old son. After the day was over my
Buddy handed his gun to his son and told him to unload them, put them in there cases and Into the back of the truck. Well sure as sh*t we got pulled over and both there guns were loaded. It was a hefty fine. :lol3:
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:57 pm

Teal http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QxGHL-ii2zM

Pintail, wigeon, and teal...along with mallard drake and othershttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY95_R5WXdA
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Jul 19, 2012 3:59 pm

NOPE. Some states require that you case your firearms before you can put it into a motor vehicle. Some you don't need a case but UNLOAD your gun or it's going to get taken away. :fingerhead:
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Return to Youth