The Floating Marshes of Louisiana- USGS Video

Main forum for general non waterfowl discussions as well as general duck hunting information about travel, rules and regulations, and other duck hunting info along with the general topics.

Moderators: Tealer, Indaswamp, Dep6, La. Hunter, steve-o, #1wingnut, lostpup, Preacher1011

The Floating Marshes of Louisiana- USGS Video

Postby Indaswamp » Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:35 pm

:thumbsup: Da Floatant! this is what Me and Rick Hall are talkin about...watch the land MAKE WAVES!!! :yes:

**Edit-skip to ~3:38 to see the marsh make waves...but the entire video is cool and educational.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Never fart in your waders, it'll give you WORTS.
Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Re: The Floating Marshes of Louisiana- USGS Video

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 10:39 am

bump...

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby T Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:17 am

So...youre gonna take jensen and I to this devil ground so I can trampoline on dry ground?
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:23 am

T Man wrote:So...youre gonna take jensen and I to this devil ground so I can trampoline on dry ground?

if you try to 'trampoline' on it, you'll punch through, and we'll have to pull you out. And no, we've learned our lesson the hard way. You yankees will remain in the boat while the grown folk do any marsh walking required. :thumbsup:

(where we hunt now is river delta with a firm bottom. very little floatant, and I doubt we can even find a patch worth the trouble to show you.)
assateague wrote:I'm not THAT cheap.

-on the viability of Pabst Blue Ribbon as a thirst quenching barley pop.
Indawoods
hunter

Postby T Man » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am

Too far south to be a yankee...to far north to be a southerner (although historicaly Kansas was a predominately southern state during the civil war)
Botiz630 wrote:How much does an apostrophe cost down south? Must be quite a bit, based on how sparingly you use them.
T Man
Super Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:27 am

T Man wrote:So...youre gonna take jensen and I to this devil ground so I can trampoline on dry ground?

if you jump on it...you might get nick-named "water boy"... :lol3:
If we were going to our cousin's lease-you'd get introduced to the floatant where the marsh is sinking and no new silt is replenishing the receeding/sinking land. check your pm's, just sent you a video of the delta... :thumbsup:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:30 am

T Man wrote:Too far south to be a yankee...to far north to be a southerner (although historicaly Kansas was a predominately southern state during the civil war)

if you live north of I-20, you're a yankee for marsh walking purposes. We are seriously thinking of arranging a pirogue race between the two of you for our own amusement.

Bring a couple extra changes of clothes. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

Indawoods
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:34 am

Indawoods wrote:
T Man wrote:Too far south to be a yankee...to far north to be a southerner (although historicaly Kansas was a predominately southern state during the civil war)

if you live north of I-20, you're a yankee for marsh walking purposes. We are seriously thinking of arranging a pirogue race between the two of you for our own amusement.

Bring a couple extra changes of clothes. :lol3: :lol3: :lol3:

:lol3: :lol3: :clapping: against the current... :yes:

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:38 am

Indawoods wrote:if you live north of I-20, you're a yankee for marsh walking purposes.

I'm thinkin' I-10.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indawoods » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:39 am

Rick Hall wrote:
Indawoods wrote:if you live north of I-20, you're a yankee for marsh walking purposes.

I'm thinkin' I-10.

I stand corrected.

Indawoods
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:52 am

I would not call it "dry"....

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Feb 21, 2012 11:56 am

realistically, how screwed are you if you punch through? would it be like getting stuck under a sheet of ice? :eek:
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby Rick Hall » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:02 pm

No appreciable current (or it would erode from below) to pull you under the turf, so that's not going to happen. Just a real booger to get back up on top if it's deep underneath, particularly if you were foolish enough not to carry a push pole or other long stick to provide some leverage without breaking through, too. A gun may or may not offer enough surface area to be useful.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:03 pm

Montanafowler wrote:realistically, how screwed are you if you punch through? would it be like getting stuck under a sheet of ice? :eek:

it varies from marsh to marsh....but at our cousin's lease, you punch through and there is no hard bottom for 8-9 feet-just decaying plant silt that is a soupy mess. It's a PITA trying to get back on top if you punch through.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:04 pm

Rick Hall wrote:No appreciable current (or it would erode from below) to pull you under the turf, so that's not going to happen. Just a real booger to get back up on top if it's deep underneath, particularly if you were foolish enough not to carry a push pole or other long stick to provide some leverage without breaking through, too. A gun may or may not offer enough surface area to be useful.

X2...there are some spots where the marsh is so thin that you have to walk on push poles to retrieve a duck dropped on an island.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:07 pm

Montanafowler wrote:realistically, how screwed are you if you punch through? would it be like getting stuck under a sheet of ice? :eek:

depends. the marsh in the video was practically dry ground compared to what i'm used to. The first two things you learn are stepping from root ball to root ball, and going immediately to your knees when you feel the marsh start to give way (which is completely counter intuitive.) pushing off to hurry through the 'thin' spots just guarantees a wet butt.

when you push through, about the only thing to do is flatten yourself out, grab hold of whatever's handy, and belly crawl to firmer marsh. getting wet is a forgone conclusion. having someone nearby to toss you a push pole is handy.

I've never punched all the way through. I would imagine I wouldn't be here now if I ever had. The roots usually slow you enough that you don't go over chest deep.

Indawoods
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:10 pm

we have few floating marshes that jr and I hunt. I have broken through and gone to my armpits, the water under is silty and thick and is like grease when you are trying to get out. takes a bit of patience and a lot of work to get out, there has been times I have gone in where a muskrat had weakend the flotant that I am not sure I could get out wthout my gun to use as a bit of an aid
Buy it, use it, break it, fix it,
Trash it, change it, mail - upgrade it,
Charge it, point it, zoom it, press it,
Snap it, work it, quick - erase it,
Write it, cut it, paste it, save it,
Load it, check it, quick - rewrite it,
Plug it, play it, burn it
jehler
thread hi-jacking expert and a great guy

Postby Indaswamp » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:13 pm

jehler wrote:we have few floating marshes that jr and I hunt. I have broken through and gone to my armpits, the water under is silty and thick and is like grease when you are trying to get out. takes a bit of patience and a lot of work to get out, there has been times I have gone in where a muskrat had weakend the flotant that I am not sure I could get out wthout my gun to use as a bit of an aid

I did not know there was floatant marsh in michigan.

And if you hit a nutria hole down here -you are done! you will punch through.

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indawoods » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:14 pm

jehler wrote:we have few floating marshes that jr and I hunt. I have broken through and gone to my armpits, the water under is silty and thick and is like grease when you are trying to get out. takes a bit of patience and a lot of work to get out, there has been times I have gone in where a muskrat had weakend the flotant that I am not sure I could get out wthout my gun to use as a bit of an aid

nutria holes are whole different brand of "#&hhd dx ^gf$cutfrv#2(*&^bhj**CENSORED BEEP BEEP". You ought to try a slice some time when you're feeling particularly cocksure of your marsh stepping expertise.

Indawoods
hunter

Postby buckmeister » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:16 pm

Once your feet punch through the crocs wil get you if your lucky, otherwise the buzzards will eat you slowly.
"Give me liberty or give me death"
buckmeister
hunter

Postby jehler » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:24 pm

Indaswamp wrote:I did not know there was floatant marsh in michigan.

there is, not a permanent ecosystem like you have on the delta but large ponds in the latters stages of eutrophication will often have a large flotant layer. the marsh in this picture is one. most of the area is ankle deep with reeds and such but others are almost like dry ground until you stand for a minute. in some places there is enough peat that you can kump up and down and nothing, other areas its root ball to root ball like woods was saying. the worst is the areas inbetween that your walking aong and poof, your in it..... woods is spot on about going flat or going to your knees, t is very counterintuitive. the only reason I went armpit deep was because I did't want to get wet :fingerhead: funny seeing jr going down with waders that are 3 sizes to big :lol3: that's the kind of thing that mkes parenthood worth it.

In the area that this picture was taken have pushed a 12 foot pushpole all the way through the flotant and not felt anything solid....no idea how deep it is.
jehler

Postby jehler » Tue Feb 21, 2012 12:26 pm

on my laptop with a poor keyboard, sorry about the spelling :hi:
jehler

Postby Montanafowler » Tue Feb 21, 2012 6:30 pm

Indaswamp wrote:

it varies from marsh to marsh....but at our cousin's lease, you punch through and there is no hard bottom for 8-9 feet-just decaying plant silt that is a soupy mess. It's a PITA trying to get back on top if you punch through.

well now that makes a guy wonder how many bodies are stuck under those things!
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby AKPirate » Tue Feb 21, 2012 9:49 pm

We have muskeg over permafrost and sometimes, during the short summer, a "lens" of water will get under the muskeg and you fell like your walking on a trampoline. I was chasing caribou about 100 miles south of Prudhoe Bay off the haul road and I got out in the middle of this stuff. I thought I could get across it quickly before breaking through the mat of muskeg. I finally realized the mat of vegetation was getting too much water over the top of it and there were no rocks (signifying dry ground) in sight anymore. This "mat" is maybe a foot or so thick. I broke through to my armpits and never touched bottom. Crawled out of that on my hands, chest, and knees before I got to solid ground. The water underneath had to be in the low 30s. My buddy was a half mile away as we were spread out to intercept the herd. Scary stuff.
AKPirate
hunter

Postby goldfish » Wed Feb 22, 2012 10:20 am

We've got bog in areas like that (best I can tell, can't see the vid). No way to tell how deep the liquid (it's hard to call it water, more like natural sewage) is beneith if you find a soft spot. Typically when you get to the edge of it to put your canoe/kayak into the water, there appears to be a bottom 2 feet down, but you would be sorely mistaken to try and step off the floating mass because it's just muck for another few feet below what you think is the bottom.
If you are having a bad day, just remember...

Someone has Snooki as a mom
goldfish
hunter

Next

Return to The Honey Hole