early season geese calls which 1 is the best

Information on goose calls and goose calling tips.

Moderators: quackerkiller, Ross R, Oregon Honker

early season geese calls which 1 is the best

Postby Bufflehead dude » Thu Feb 23, 2012 12:19 pm

I need a good Canada goose call for the early goose season. i need it in the 100 150 dollar range. ready for September !!
Season total 2012 2013
Canada goose 1
Blue wing teal 1
Mallard 5
Wood duck 12
Hooded mergansers 3
Ringneck 1
Bufflehead 1
Blue bill 4
Bufflehead dude
hunter

Re: early season geese calls which 1 is the best

Postby njgoosekiller » Thu Feb 23, 2012 4:33 pm

Field Proven Matrix. :thumbsup:
njgoosekiller
hunter

Postby noweil » Thu Feb 23, 2012 9:29 pm

Go to Midway USA and you can get a Big River Long Honker Flute for 15.00 and change plus shipping. I find that big geese like that deep flute and you can save 100.00 bucks. How'd the merganser taste?
CRP was responsible for 25.7 million additional ducks produced in the U.S. Prairie Pothole Region during 1992-2003.  Source DU.
noweil
hunter

Postby Teddy Sherwood » Fri Feb 24, 2012 10:24 am

Check out the Banded Calls Crazy Train its made to sound like bigger geese and will be perfect for those resident honkers
Teddy Sherwood
hunter

Postby Bufflehead dude » Fri Feb 24, 2012 2:27 pm

noweil wrote:Go to Midway USA and you can get a Big River Long Honker Flute for 15.00 and change plus shipping. I find that big geese like that deep flute and you can save 100.00 bucks. How'd the merganser taste?
Didn't eat it try not to shoot trash ducks that we don't eat thought it was a wood duck :lol:
Season total 2012 2013
Canada goose 1
Blue wing teal 1
Mallard 5
Wood duck 12
Hooded mergansers 3
Ringneck 1
Bufflehead 1
Blue bill 4
Bufflehead dude
hunter

Postby bowfish » Fri Feb 24, 2012 6:02 pm

I still have my long honker call on my lanyard along with my lynch mob goose noose.But I only use the long honker call in the early season. Go to ebay type in lonk honker call there is one for 6.99 no bids.
bowfish
hunter

Postby ColoradoGooser » Sat Feb 25, 2012 10:30 am

Bufflehead dude wrote:I need a good Canada goose call for the early goose season. i need it in the 100 150 dollar range. ready for September !!

GK Calls Canuck will kill them early season right on through to late season,one call that will do it all!
"No man's Second Amendment rights are safe when the legislature is in session,especially when Democrats are in charge" Mark Twain

I carry a gun,because a cop weighs to much
ColoradoGooser
hunter

Postby jrode237 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 5:59 pm

For $100-$150 your best early season call...... flags. You shouldn't need a special call; just know how, and more importantly when and when not to use it.
jrode237
hunter

Postby waterfowl1030 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 7:54 pm

jrode237 wrote:For $100-$150 your best early season call...... flags. You shouldn't need a special call; just know how, and more importantly when and when not to use it.

:thumbsup: very good point right here, in the early season, there is no need for a lot of calling. The birds havent been hunted for 8 or 9 months so just a few clucks and moans and some flagging really does the trick. as far as calls go tho i suggest something with a good deep goosy sound for early season. My go to call really all year is a saunders g.p., love that thing
Big Sean's Championship Calls Field Team
waterfowl1030
hunter

Postby Doyle Tobel » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:13 pm

Gander Valley ~ PCS~ This call will help you smoke those early season geese. The PCS is one of the best all around calls I have ran, not sure what it is but the tone has been murder for us early season. Had a few buddies running other companies calls and we are all about the same skill level. They even admit the PCS has been our go to call.
Doyle Tobel
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:02 am

Honestly early geese are straight up retards. If u find a decent field you'll slaughter them. U don't need a call that's designated for early season. Every group u get in early season decoys twice if urn in a good field.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby WIDrakeKiller » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:06 am

Honestly early geese are straight up retards. If u find a decent field you'll slaughter them. U don't need a call that's designated for early season. Every group u get in early season decoys twice if urn in a good field.
WIDrakeKiller
hunter

Postby tripleb » Fri Oct 19, 2012 12:33 pm

Get a goose call that sounds like real geese. If you want to know what real geese sound like ..... visit Big Sean's Championship Calls website and listen to them in the opening audio file. Real geese sound like that when they're excited at the close approach of other geese, but ..... in small groups, as they often are in the early season, they aren't talking nearly as much. The pitch of the audio file is right, but they are in smaller groups and don't do as much calling.

If you want to hear a goose call which sounds like real geese ... listen to Big Sean run his "Mr. Big" call. Those are the pitches of the clucks you will normally hear them make. It's just that being in smaller groups, they don't talk as much as shown on the audio file or in the video of him running the call.

People talk about using deep sounding calls for local birds and high pitched calls for migrators. I spent quite a bit of time listening to our local geese and, with an occasional exception, they're high pitched when they're excited. You need a call that can make realistic high pitched clucks, yet, give you some lower pitched moans, too. There are a lot of different calls which can do that, though some may be easier or tougher to run than others.

BTW, this is not a plug for Big Sean's calls or a criticism of them. I don't own one, nor have I ever run one, nor does anyone I know own one, but his audio and video files demonstrate the majority of sounds real geese make when others are approaching and I think he has a firm grip on what real geese sound like.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:07 pm

You know.. if you really study and watch and listen to geese... you will notice that all geese sound different... ( to an extent offcourse). But some are high pitched some deep and so forth. I think its good to have a high pitced call and a deep call and depending on the day and the birds switch it up or blow wich ever your teamates or temate is not.
Wobbling Wings Waterfowling
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 8:57 am

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:You know.. if you really study and watch and listen to geese... you will notice that all geese sound different... ( to an extent offcourse). But some are high pitched some deep and so forth. I think its good to have a high pitced call and a deep call and depending on the day and the birds switch it up or blow wich ever your teamates or temate is not.

They do sound different, but I've noticed that while some geese will use lower pitched clucks when flying, when they are closely approaching other geese, their pitches go up, as do the pitches of the geese calling from the ground. Even if there are lower pitched clucks, the ones you mostly hear are the higher pitched ones. Watch virtually any goose hunting video where they show birds close to the decoys or landing among the decoys .... they're high pitched.

That being said ... there is a good reason to have a call which can produce lower pitched notes ..... sometimes they just respond better to something other than what they're used to hearing. But, having used low pitched calls .... and high pitched calls, I get better response from high pitched calls .... calls tuned and run at the same pitches you usually hear from the geese. When I'm calling to geese, more often than not, I find myself having to increase the pitch of my calling to duplicate the pitches coming back from the geese to which I am calling.
tripleb
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Sun Oct 21, 2012 2:27 pm

Yeah no doubt, i agree with ya on that. But theres always a few of them real deep sounding buggers that are just ticked off and saying hey this is my food back off with his deep mur mur.. IK just think its good to have a deep and a high pticed call switch it up and whatnot!!
hunter

Postby tripleb » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:01 pm

Wobbling Wings Waterfowling wrote:Yeah no doubt, i agree with ya on that. But theres always a few of them real deep sounding buggers that are just ticked off and saying hey this is my food back off with his deep mur mur.. IK just think its good to have a deep and a high pticed call switch it up and whatnot!!

I was hunting a large public marsh last year ..... and by that time I had pretty much firmly committed myself to the concept that geese are normally high pitched, more so when excited, when I heard a goose heading away from my area that must have had balls the size of tennis balls he was so deep sounding. :lol3: So, you do run into them from time to time.

This morning, I was hunting a spot which would have been a "traffic" area, watching birds flying into a refuge. Many of them were slightly lower in pitch than what I normally hear when then are ready to land among other geese. And, of course, the moans, even when made by birds making high pitched clucks, are usually low pitched. So, even if you have a calls which can make high pitched clucks, you'll still have to make good sounding, low pitched moans.
tripleb
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Oct 21, 2012 4:47 pm

Shouldn't have to have different pitched calls for different times of the year. Stick with one call, learn how to run it effectively and the birds will react accordingly...JMHO :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Wobbling Wings Waterfowling » Mon Oct 22, 2012 8:21 am

haha thats funny.. And yeah i jsut like the idea of having a high pitched and low [itched. But i agree with all of you.. just pick one call and practice and you should be fine!!
hunter

Return to Goose Calls and Calling Forum