Hardening your home-Make your castle a real Castle

A forum to discuss home defense and personal defense to keep out crime.

Moderators: La. Hunter, badandy970, Montanafowler

Hardening your home-Make your castle a real Castle

Postby Montanafowler » Fri Feb 24, 2012 12:12 pm

Most of the topics on here are about what gun to carry, but i haven't seen anything about proactive hardening of your home against would be invaders.

Most thieves will scope out homes before they plan their invasion. They want to know how many people are there, are they armed, what kinds of things can they take and what is the easiest way to enter without being seen/heard. The typical home owner probably has standard doors and locks on their front and back entryways, and windows that are breakable or may be unlocked at any given time. There might also be some sort of alarm system present-but maybe the homeowner is ignorant and doesn't always arm it.

There are products out there designed to harden a home and make entry into it extremely difficult.

Security Doors

These don't openly display that you're locked down like a wrought iron gate does. These appear to be regular doors. They aren't very expensive and can easily be installed by the average homeowner. There are many different styles available for your personal choice. Along with a security door, a hardened door frame and lock should be used. A security lock will have multiple contact points into the door frame, essentially making one solid barrier that won't allow the door to hinge toward the interior and allow a foot or object to penetrate. A standard door may not break, but a door frame can easily be splintered and a lock broken. combining a hardened door with a proper door frame and lock will withstand the hardest kick. i've seen products that can actually withstand an attack from a door breaching device.

one website for hardened security doors:
http://www.mastersecuritydoors.com/?tpa ... ID_Inswing

the website for Door jamb Armor, this product withstood kicks and a police battering ram. they have the video on the website.
http://www.armorconcepts.com/Our-Soluti ... Jamb-Armor

Windows

Windows are unfortunately, the biggest weakness in all homes. There are products though that are designed to help harden windows against forced entry. Laminate sheets can be installed so that if anyone were to try to enter through a window, the glass is held in place. the glass will still break, but you will still have a barrier between yourself and the bad guy.

3m security window film:
http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/e ... ge_Series/

3m window film demonstration:

These are just a few products on the market that allow you to harden your home to defend against home invasion. If you are concerned about home defense, then you should be equally concerned about hardening your home. The gun is a last line of defense, not your first. If you harden your home properly then you should never need to pull your weapon.

This is not an advertisement, these are just some products i have come across in my own research for home hardening, i encourage you to research home hardening products and tactics so that you can protect yourself in every way possible.

Harden your home, and make your "castle" a real Castle!

Written by
Montanafowler
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Re: Hardening your home-Make your castle a real Castle

Postby gander_lander34 » Tue May 29, 2012 1:11 am

We all know that a doors weakest point is at it's hinges. (Why do you think the military and SWAT teams blow them there?) In the city where I live it is now common for thieves to not even bother with a dead bolt or any other type of lock. They just completely bust the door off at the hinges. There is a very simple way to combat this problem and quite a bit cheaper than buying a whole new door. First is buy one more hinge for your door. So instead of the standard 3 you now have 4 hinges. Next, instead of using the standard screws for the hinges that come with the door or the hinge set, buy some 6 inch deck screws and replace all hinge screws with the new deck screws. This will make your door much more solid and provide you with that much more protection for just a few dollars and a trip to the hardware store.
gander_lander34
hunter

Postby lumpy2181 » Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:49 pm

Great info guys. Any advice on internal doors? Would that be over kill or extra protection?
Bgold wrote:... I don't think we're doing it right though and my butt sure hurts...

That's what she said!!!
lumpy2181
hunter

Postby carlschmarl2 » Fri Sep 28, 2012 9:56 pm

Here's what we did to our home.

In addition to our ADT Security system, we installed Strike Master Pro's to every exterior door and installed a camera/dvr system. Our camera system isn't the best, but at least it's something and all avenues of approach to house/garage/back yard area are covered. The dvr box is kept in my gun safe in the basement. The safe is a larger/heavier Sturdy safe and it's bolted down to the concrete floor. Our vehicle keys go in a lock box which is bolted down as well.

If someone wants to get in, they’re going to do it. But to the common criminal, they’re hopefully going to look at my preparations and decide to hit the house down the street. If nothing else, everything is meant to slow down the BG and buy us time until the authorities can respond.

For a home invasion we have contingency plans in place for that as well…

ETA:Our camera system is also set up to be viewed from remote locations via the network...

Strike Master Pro II
http://www.asafehome.net/

Cameras:
http://www.zmodo.com/8ch-cctv-h-264-standalone-dvr-outdoor-security-surveillance-ir-camera-system.html

I've thought about getting a few of these to place around the house...but I haven't found anything worthwhile yet...
http://burglarbomb.com/

All first floor windows had a 4mm Security film placed over them. It's enough to stop a brick but that's about it.
http://www.suntekfilms.com/safety/suntek-window-films-safety.aspx
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby Montanafowler » Sat Sep 29, 2012 9:56 pm

lumpy2181 wrote:Great info guys. Any advice on internal doors? Would that be over kill or extra protection?

probably overkill, but you could upgrade to solid wooden doors inside. i think it's overkill because i believe that if you have a strong perimeter on the outside of your house, you shouldn't have to worry about the inside.

in addition to my original post, a few other ideas are motion activated lights, thorny shrubs around windows, good fencing, and a loud dog.
Booney3721 wrote:Try being a dishwasher/Grill cook/ellectrition/garbage disposer and your owner/boss is a fat greek woman who cals you names as Retard, stupid, idiot, molocah, f*** face and tard, and tells you that you was the inspiration for abortion and birth control.
Montanafowler
Forum Moderator

Postby carlschmarl2 » Sun Sep 30, 2012 7:22 am

Dogs are usually a great early warning system.

My lab and Great Dane wouldn't hurt a flea, but they wil bark loudly to alert us as soon as someone pulls into the driveway.
"Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium"
carlschmarl2
hunter

Postby steel entry doors » Wed Mar 06, 2013 8:17 pm

Relevant topic! I have a small home security business, i am always encouraging everybody to get their homes installed with security gates, doors, and what not. Although they are extra cost, installing them would add a certain layer of protection. Gives you peace of mind!
steel entry doors
Newb

Return to Home and Personal Defense Forum