NH 2012 Duck Season

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: Ross R, JustinNH

NH 2012 Duck Season

Postby molsen316 » Sat Feb 25, 2012 12:44 pm

I am trying to figure out what the waterfowl season dates will be this year. Looking back a few years, it always seems to open the first Tuesday in October (except on year where it opened on a Thursday). Does anyone know how they determine the dates or have any idea what it will be like this year? Appreciate any help.
molsen316
hunter

Re: NH 2012 Duck Season

Postby Mike M. » Sat Feb 25, 2012 11:02 pm

I don't hunt in your fine state but generally, the state fish and game dept. has to set their season dates within the time frame set forth by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. Generally, the NH fish and Game and MA fish and Game Depts. set their season dates around the end of August within the frameworks set forth by USFWS.
A serious reduction in the population of black ducks would mean the end of waterfowl hunting for the majority of the New England sportsmen.

Rachel Carson, 1947
Mike M.
hunter

Postby Benny8 » Sun Feb 26, 2012 6:47 am

molsen316 wrote:I am trying to figure out what the waterfowl season dates will be this year. Looking back a few years, it always seems to open the first Tuesday in October (except on year where it opened on a Thursday). Does anyone know how they determine the dates or have any idea what it will be like this year? Appreciate any help.

Molsen- I am going to give you my best guess at season dates-this is going by the rule of the late season starting the day before Thanksgiving. Our season(as well as others), is a 60 day duck season. We usually have a two week split between seasons. So my guess is October 9th-Nov 11th for the early season and Nov. 21st-Dec. 16th for the late season. Of course this is just my estimate. Like Mike said, we won't know the true facts until August.
Benny8
hunter

Postby JustinNH » Sun Feb 26, 2012 10:40 am

I would have to agree with the above two posts.

I am an accountant, so the 8 business says of any month are busy (conflict of interest since opening days always fall in this time period!) so I try to get my boss an estimate of when I need to take off. I hope itstarts the week of the 8th, that way I can also take a day off on the first week small game and not be swamped. We'll see.

btw, :welcome: to the forum
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby rjbadfish » Sun Feb 26, 2012 3:01 pm

There is also word in the air that NH will have a "northern" zone this year with a straight 60 day season with no split. Not sure how this could effect coastal and inland seasons.

Our season is based upon the feds research and determination of duck numbers in the Atlantic flyway and Goose numbers in the Maritime sub flyway. Anyway you look at it, you will still only be allowed one black duck a day and there will probably still be no true definition of a black/mallard hybrid...
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Postby molsen316 » Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:24 am

Thanks for the info. Guess we will not really know for sure until August.
molsen316
hunter

Postby HuntsCTRiver » Thu Mar 01, 2012 6:16 pm

rj,
What do you think the odds are of the "Northern Zone" actually becoming a reality? I would be tickled pink to not have to go out of state to hunt in November
HuntsCTRiver
hunter

Postby rjbadfish » Sun Mar 04, 2012 4:25 am

HuntsCTRiver wrote:rj,
What do you think the odds are of the "Northern Zone" actually becoming a reality? I would be tickled pink to not have to go out of state to hunt in November

From what I was told it is almost guaranteed to happen
Ray Jackson

Have you noticed that common sense is not as common as it used to be???
rjbadfish
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting