Duck Hunting Forum banner

.22 auto, Browning,Ruger,Beretta ?

4K views 13 replies 9 participants last post by  toolmaker 
#1 ·
I too am looking for a .22 auto. I didn't want to hijack the other thread.
I have it narrowed down to 3 models
Browning Buckmark, Beretta Neos, Ruger Mark IV

I've ruled out the S&W because of the people I've talked to
all said the same thing, picky taking ammo. I've owned a couple
other S&W auto's and had nothing but problems. I love my 686
and will never get rid of it but I'm done with their Auto's for now.

Also ruled out is the Mosquito, read too many bad reviews and you
tube vids.

I'm looking for feedback on the Buckmark,Neos and Mark IV
I've heard that the Buckmark is most accurate but the Ruger
eats anything you feed it. As far as the Neos. I really liked the
feel of it. The barrel and rail come off together so you don't have
to re-zero your optics.

Unless I hear anything to sway me I'm looking to get the Buckmark
with the bull barrel, rubber grips and fiber optic sights.
Thank you in advance for your input.

See less See more
#2 ·
I love the looks,feel and the bottom ejection of the Browning but it is a high dollar item.

Just depends now a days if you like metal,wood or plastic guns................ I am old fashioned and have not warmed up to the "Black Guns" as yet but they are the new kid on the block and shoot very well.

My 1st was the Remington Nylon "Space Gun" ,as we kids called it..................... times sure have changed.

#4 ·
Tomkat,
I'm glad you got a good one. Not crazy about the plastic buffer that seems
to wear out on them. S&W must be aware of the problem because they include
extras. That and the iron sights for me were difficult to pick up, no paint on
the post or rear sight. Again, some people love them. I just don't care for it.
I'm not going to discount the fact that other owners have either shelved theirs
or gotten something different.

#6 ·
I have a buckmark, smith and wesson 22a and my brother now has my Ruger. The only one I shoot is the smith, I've yet to wear out the nylon bushing and I shoot in my backyard everyday if its nice out. That things eats everything I've ran through it including the sub-sonics. I dont know what your buddies done to his but all my friends now have them and they have been great for all of us. Save yourself soem money and give'm a shot. This smmer I'm actaully gonna be reviewing the Browning Silouhette, Smith and Wesson 41, Ruger, and Smith 22A with a varity of ammo and doing a big write up on them on another forum.

#7 ·
Buckmark. Mine has killed more cottontails than all of my rifles and shotguns combined. Aside from the great trigger and accuracy, I really like how when the slide is locked back you can poke a finger all the way through the action to clear a jam rather than trying to use a key or pocket knife like I have to do with my Ruger. Two of my friends have Neos'.......bad triggers and not even close to being as accurate as the Buckmark or the Ruger.

#8 ·
I was dissapointed in my ruger. After less than 100 rounds it got sent off for warranty work and would not eject federal's or winchester's when it did work (not why it got sent off). I think I may have got a lemon but I would personally choose a browning

#9 ·
My Ruger single six, .22/.22mag, took a lot of squirrls and ground squirrls,owls and frogs, in its day way back in the early 60's
in the fields of the sacramento valley. Most were shot on the dirt leves , where the old gravel road ran miles and miles to
get to the old duck hunting area. I have to admit that long rifles gave the best accuracy and we tried not to shoot the mags
since the blast hurt our young ears. Back then no one use ear and eye protection...............
A friend had a Browning Forester auto that was really sweet but that would be many years down the road before I got to have one of those,but thats another story.

#12 ·
Well thanks for all the input. Budget had a big impact
on my decision. I went with the Neos with a 6" barrel.
Picked up a cheap Red Dot, I'm a terrible pistol shooter.
Killed 17 gophers already. Kinda nice to have my
.17 Mach II for the long shots and now have the .22
pistol for the close ones.

Thanks again for all the input.

#14 ·
I got an AMT Lightning. it is a ruger copy with improvements... nice gun

millet sights, finger lip on the front of ther trigger guard, all stainless steel, adjustable trigger!!! pachmyer grips...all standard!!!

they got sued and ruger made them stop making them...but if you can find one.... i think youll like it more than a ruger

they are a flat sided action not round like the ruger.

the tool

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.