3 Day Duck Hunting Bender (Friday)

A place to discuss Maine hunting. Topics include Maine's reknowned sea duck hunting.

Moderators: DUKHTR, Dogman

3 Day Duck Hunting Bender (Friday)

Postby duckmann » Sun Nov 14, 2004 5:43 pm

Friday report: Was up on Long Pond today on the other side of Rt. 9 and although we had to chip through 1/2 inch of ice at the landing we were still able to place our decoys and take a beautiful hooded Meganzer and a couple red breasted. Must have seen about 30-40 Meganzers was a ton of fun. . . what a beautiful area.
duckmann
hunter

Postby Dogman » Mon Nov 15, 2004 4:18 pm

Hoodies are one georgous duck,someday I hope to get one to mount and place in my cabinet.I hope the season improves into Dec,been a little slow for me lately.
My lab is still the best hunting partner there is.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Woodies

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:15 am

Yes, the hooded is a beautiful duck. I however would really like to mount a wood duck BUT I have yet to see one during the duck season. I had several land in my goose decoys during the sept. season.
duckmann
hunter

Postby Dogman » Tue Nov 16, 2004 9:19 am

I get several Wood duck each season.Nice one mounted in my display case.I'm surprised to hear you don't get any since Maine seems thick with them.Maybe they move out earlier in your locale I guess.Too bad,you'll just have to come south for the 2005 season and bag some then :thumbsup:
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Wood Ducks

Postby duckmann » Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:54 pm

I hunt a lot of open water during the season and "think" I need to concentrate more on smaller streams and possibly do some early season jump shooting to get a chance at a trophy "wood duck". I spent this Fall noting where a large number of Oak trees are located (St. George River, White OAK pond, etc.) and a few others and may try them the first of next season. HAHAHA already planning next year!

Anyone have any other suggestions? Would having a few woodie decoys help?
duckmann
hunter

Postby buschwacker82 » Tue Nov 16, 2004 7:32 pm

I usually throw between 4-6 woody dekes out separate from my mallard spread closer to shore... I also had very good luck with the Quaker Boy woody call this season..... Jump hunting on small streams is usually a good bet on finding some woodies as well... Good luck. maine is packed full of woodducks in the early season.
buschwacker82
hunter

Postby Dogman » Wed Nov 17, 2004 6:51 am

I'm sure you'll do better on smaller water,woodies love the trees and back water areas.Especially oak trees,find some good oaks hanging over water and you have a good wood duck spot.
Dogman
Forum & State Moderator

Return to Maine Duck Hunting