Dave Smith or Avian X

A wild turkey hunting forum for hunting turkeys in the spring and fall seasons.

Moderators: stumpjumper, MossyGO!

Dave Smith or Avian X

Postby duckschooler » Tue Feb 28, 2012 7:18 pm

I'm thinking of going to a higher quality turkey decoy, not planning on spending "stuffer" money but I like both the Dave Smith's and the Avian X's. Does anyone have experience with either decoy?
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Re: Dave Smith or Avian X

Postby bat man » Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:09 am

google best turkey decoy. better than zinc and cheaper than smith.
bat man
Newb

Postby jbshunter » Wed Feb 29, 2012 8:00 am

I have the DS Jake and love it dont think you will be disappointed. (IMO) Works much better than the full strut decoy which I have used for the past 2 years with mixed results.
As far as the Avian X.... I have never used it.
jbshunter
hunter

Postby Illinois-Ducker » Wed Feb 29, 2012 4:57 pm

$300 for my stuffer.... Should be ready soon! Other than that, I have killed birds easily over the primos swinging hen.... Simple and cheap but does the job!
I am dedicating this year to waterfowl and waterfowl only....
Illinois-Ducker
State Moderator

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Fri Mar 02, 2012 4:15 pm

If I already didnt own a DSD, I would look into this decoy.. I think it looks as good as my DSD and its 1/3 the cost and half the price of Avian.. The 3 head thing is gimmicky but as a Pure hen decoy this thing is awesome looking. .

http://www.cabelas.com/turkey-decoys-cherokee-sports-007-transformer-turkey-decoy.shtml
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 10:48 pm

I just recieved my dsd feeder hen, upright hen, and the jake. They look amazing, and I don't think you will regret getting them.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby duxrus » Fri Mar 02, 2012 11:42 pm

I was "going to" buy some Avian X decoys at the NWTF convention but they were selling them for more than i could get them online with no show sales :huh: ....... I then proceeded to watch their "friendly" sales guy show someone how to DEFLATE and BLOW UP one.....he was well on his way of passing out by the time it was re-filled. That ended that idea. I had no idea they were inflatable. Just what I don't want to do after running the ridges....taking the time to blow up a dang decoy. :fingerhead:
duxrus
hunter

Postby bdavisbdavis727 » Thu Mar 08, 2012 8:18 pm

avian x... best decoy on the market IMO.. The only downside is they are a little heavy compared to other decoys but man they work, totally worth the $ once you see them in the woods..
bdavisbdavis727
hunter

Postby alloutwar13 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:08 pm

duxrus wrote:I was "going to" buy some Avian X decoys at the NWTF convention but they were selling them for more than i could get them online with no show sales :huh: ....... I then proceeded to watch their "friendly" sales guy show someone how to DEFLATE and BLOW UP one.....he was well on his way of passing out by the time it was re-filled. That ended that idea. I had no idea they were inflatable. Just what I don't want to do after running the ridges....taking the time to blow up a dang decoy. :fingerhead:

You dont have to deflate the Avian X every time just blow it up before the season and your good to go.
WisconsinWaterfowler wrote "I would rather get raped by a dude than have that happen to my d^&%"
alloutwar13
hunter

Postby chrispbrown271 » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:44 pm

I just bought the 3 decoy set of cherokee with the molded heads and have no complaints (of course I haven't hunted over them). They look good and sure are not as high as dsd's or zink. Personally if I could talk myself into spending the money I would go with zink I think they look better than the dsd's, but 80 bucks for a turkey decoy? That's just crazy considering a lot of people kill em without using decoys at all. I paid 38 bucks for my three cherokee decoys and I doubt I will ever pay more than that.
Chris
chrispbrown271
hunter

Postby don novicki » Tue Mar 13, 2012 9:55 am

I have a DSD hen and for the life of me I can't figure out why I bought it. The turkeys I have killed haven't even seen the dam thing. Although I do like the looks of that Cabela's decoy I personally don't think you need a decoy to kill a turkey. JMO I'm even thinking of selling the Smith.......
don novicki
hunter

Postby fowlhabit4 » Sat Mar 31, 2012 3:48 am

i have a 7 year old feather flex, works as good today as anything..... its a turkey, granted hes skitsoo, it keeps the eyes off you regardless of the amount of money u have to spend on a turkey decoy. Mine is weatherd but tried and true, i love that ole girl!
fowlhabit4
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:23 am

I have a B-Mobile and some feather flex hens and they still work for me,I have looked at all the newer decoys and do not see spending that kind of money on a decoy when the ones I have still work! Sure they look good,and will they work,I am sure of it,do I want to spend that kind of money,not when I can buy a whole flock of birds for the same price! It is like anything if you want it buy,but if your old stuff is still working why waste the money,use it for something you do not have that night help your hunt,like say camo,new vest,something! Or save it for gas money to go hunting,with these prices you might need it shortly!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby duckschooler » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:36 pm

I ended up buying the Avian X and it looks really good but I haven't had a chance to use it yet. My buddy and I are going on a team hunt Friday through Sunday so hopefully I'll see a real life comparison of a regular turkey decoy vs my Avian X. I'm from the new school of hunting thought that I try to eliminate weak links when hunting by maximazing potential and eliminating things that won't. Hopefully the difference in turkey decoy quality works, I know turkeys will come to any decoy but how close and how often is what I'm trying to maximize. I was really looking at the DSD but after the Avian X and buying a few calls I figured I'd test the waters.
#flock'em
duckschooler
hunter

Postby OKhunter » Sun Apr 08, 2012 8:58 pm

I had my first hunt using my DSD decoys this morning. The first hen that came in flogged my upright hen, and then the jake that came in tried to flog the DSD Jake, but I didn't let him. Shot him at 8 yard with my bow. It was a great morning.
OKhunter
hunter

Postby pete/pmr » Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:59 am

I seldom use my decoys,I went out scouting the other day(monday) to check out my new camcorder,and got over an hour of footage of two toms ,I called them in let them walk about 100 yards out called them back three more times just messing with them,finally I let them go off in search of hens! I just posted a video and some photos I think to this forum titled Scouting,I had them within 10 yards! Decoys are nice and serve a purpose,but they are by no means a deal clincher! There are times when they work,and times when they do not,it is a crap shoot! I have a turkey mounted that I use too use as a decoy,and it worked like a champion on days, and on other days it did not help! If a tom is henned up,it does not matter if you have 1 or 20 decoys out there,you have to get the hens to come too you,and hens could care less if she sees another hen 100 yards away,sometimes I think they want to keep the tom away from other hens, unless you challenge the other hen! I called a tom in for a friend of mine that had a dominate hen with him,every time she clucked he would gobble and follow her,so I would call and she would try to call over me. So I stepped it up,every time she started a call,I would hammer out a call to drown her out,this got her pissed and she came in to my decoy,and she dragged him with her! But had I not done that,she was leading him away to another field! But because I hammered over her calling she came over to put my decoy in its place! I have had toms with hens come in with no decoys,looking for the hen making the calls? It is a mood thing with each bird,I honestly believe it!

I have scouted toms and watched them chase other toms and jakes off,this makes me know he is territorial! So a gobbler decoy in his strutting area,will twist him up to come in....if you see he has 3 hens in his crew,then put out three hens and a gobbler/jake,when you set up to hunt him,then when he flies down and gets to his spot,he sees an intruder,(works for me)! The attitude of each tom is different,hunt them that way! Use the decoys when they will help,and do not use them when you do not need them....But always bring them with you,that is why I stick too light fold up decoys! My full mount decoy is only used when I know it will help,or think it will help! Other than that I do not bring it with me!
2013 Season Totals

Canada Geese 105
Mallards 43
Woodies 31
Teal 16
widgeon 8
Blacks 11
Goldeneyes 25 "Take-em"
Buffleheads 4
Bluebills 1
snows 27
Band Count 5
pete/pmr
hunter

Postby Pouledeau » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:12 am

duxrus wrote:I was "going to" buy some Avian X decoys at the NWTF convention but they were selling them for more than i could get them online with no show sales :huh: ....... I then proceeded to watch their "friendly" sales guy show someone how to DEFLATE and BLOW UP one.....he was well on his way of passing out by the time it was re-filled. That ended that idea. I had no idea they were inflatable. Just what I don't want to do after running the ridges....taking the time to blow up a dang decoy. :fingerhead:

Did he weigh 340 lbs. ... ??? Isssssssn't that bad. Those decoys are unreal.

Carry a small hand-held bycicle pump with you and you're good in 5 seconds. That being said pete/pmr is spot on. RARELY will I actually use a decoy. I've seen twice as many birds spook off decoys as I have seen birds come into them. They're NOT ducks. Biggest problem with a decoy(s) is mobility/stealth. 10 yards could mean killing a bird vs. hearing a bird, and if you're messing with a decoy, you may cost yourself an opportunity. Especially in tight cover. Unless you're hunting huge pastures or open woodlots ... just leave them in the bed of the truck ...
Pouledeau
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed May 09, 2012 9:51 pm

[QUOTE=ksgobbler;1063609632]Took some pics today of an Avian X and DSD.

First one is a size comparison. Avian X is much bigger than the DSD.

Some individual pics of each decoy

Shots of the back of the decoys

Image[/QUOTE]

]Image
I will say it took me 4.5 deep breaths to get me Bros Avian X hen inflated. He transports his inflated to avoid having to blow them up every time. Folded up is is not a whole lot smaller than the DSD. Weight is comparable and I think the Avian X might be a hair heavier, but since my digital fishing scale is on the fritz I couldn't get that.

If there are any other shots folks want of them let me know.
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby ks_waterfowler » Wed May 09, 2012 9:59 pm

I've seen turkey behavior this year that I never saw with my Featherflexes. I have also added a DSD jake. Are they worth the money, I think so. I was a huge naysayer about the ultra realistic birds, but seeing reactions (and I saw 3x more hunters than I did toms this year) of pressured birds to these things its unreal. I have had hens that I actually can't get to leave the decoys when I want to reposition. Never had that with my foamers. We just don't have very many turkeys in my part of the state and using a bow its been my worst year since 96.
These hens stayed in and around the dekes for 45 minutes

Left for 10 minutes and came out dragging his to the opposite end of the field.

This gal I couldn't make leave even after I came out of the blind. She just huddled closer to teh DSD
Image[/
whistlin_wings wrote:I grew up in a neighborhood with only 3 pools and a public golf course. Thug life is all I know.
ks_waterfowler
hunter

Postby bat man » Tue Dec 11, 2012 9:29 am

bat man
Newb

Postby tealdog » Sat Mar 23, 2013 3:34 pm

The Dakota knock off is a joke, so is the company.

DSD without a doubt is my answer to the original question :thumbsup:
tealdog
hunter

Postby ICDEDTURKES » Sun Mar 24, 2013 5:53 am

I am going to retract my post from last year.. The prototype that the catalog ads were down off looked fantastic, the look did not make it to the production birds.

After going to the convention this year and seeing the new DSDs with the updated paint job.. There is no comparison between them and the Avian..
ICDEDTURKES
hunter

Postby Hawkeye76 » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:13 pm

This will be my second season with an AvianX. They were the most realistic and tough I could find, and they come with a bag to carry the decoy in, so just inflate it and go.
When she asked me how drunk I was on a scale of 1-10, and I told her a B-, I knew it wasn't gonna go well....
HAIL STATE!!!
Credibility = Capability + Will
Rush Pike
I.Y.A.A.Y.A.S
Hawkeye76
hunter

Postby duckhunter175 » Mon Mar 25, 2013 6:35 am

I cashed in some Cabelas points for a DSD jake and feeding hen. These decoys look fantastic!!

The eyes are what strike me about the DSDs, taxidermy quality that feel like youre being stared at. They are also hand painted and made in the USA. The 2013 jake is also flocked across the top of his back instead of just flat black paint to mimic the feathers standing up to start a strut.

A win in my book we will see how they do on opening day!
duckhunter175
hunter

Postby Pete-pec » Tue Apr 16, 2013 12:04 pm

I have at least $500 worth of decoys, and trust me when I say this. Decoys, just like camo or blinds, or the gun, or the shell, etc. are designed for the hunter in mind, not the turkey.

DSD's I own. Do I need them to kill a bird? HELL NO! Do they look pretty? Yep! Do they help you kill more birds? That's a question for the turkeys, not opinionated humans who have seen results with the particular brand they choose, and nothing more. Apparently with all the differing opinions it is proven that they all miraculously work? LOL :yes: :thumbsup:
Pete-pec
Forum & State Moderator

Next

Return to Turkey Hunting Forum