Turkey decoys help

Pheasant, turkey, dove, grouse, partridge, quail, squirrel, rabbits, etc.

Moderators: The Cat Island Drake, birddog crazy

Turkey decoys help

Postby shootable Goose » Thu Mar 01, 2012 8:06 pm

Ok new turkey hunter here. I got the calling down. So what the story on the decoys? How many? What brands are good? Silhouettes? Full bodies? I know nothing about turkey deeks. Also how far away should I be sitting from them? Thanks
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Re: Turkey decoys help

Postby Cujo1 » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:45 am

This is a subject with many opinions. Here is mine, First, make sure decoys are legal in the state where you are hunting. There have been many turkeys killed without decoys, so don't feel that you have to have one. I use different decoys for different times and situations. I usually use decoys when hunting open areas or fields. The birds have a tendancy to hang up if they can't see anything making the call. Now if you set up where they have to come in the woods, or around a corner to look then a decoy may not be required. I use a feather flex strutting jake or a feather flex standard jake more than anything else. I sometimes use hens but not that often. I don't use decoys every time in fact a lot of time I take them and don't put them out. One thing that bothers me about most decoys is how loud they are on a quiet day when you are putting them out. Some crinkle and crack so loud it will scare off anything around. I am all about stealth. I also have to walk, I don't have the luxury of hunting areas where I can drive within 50 yards of a blind and sit down. So I normally travel light and decoys are the first thing to get left behind on a long walk. I personally do not see any reason to spend a bunch of money on high end decoys like DS or Avian. My cheapos seem to work just fine, It is by far more important to be where the turkeys want to be and that is found by extensive scouting. Toms will come to the front to approach the decoy like this one did. Make sure you can shoot in front of the decoy. Set the decoy where it can be seen like this one on a power line. It was set at 35 yards because of set up, visibility, and cover, I normally want them about 20 yards. Set decoys so if another hunter decides to shoot your decoy they are not shooting at you. Hope this helps. PM me if I can help.
turkey.jpg
All turkeys must die!

bighop wrote:Destined to be a child of the system now. Bounced around from house to house, abused, mistreated, earning his way on the streets. There's probably an expensive crack habit and a pair of those hind-leg wheels in his near futre.
Cujo1
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:53 am

CUJO......is correct.

Most of the time I use a jake and a hen together. Lots of different brands out there and all will work. I prefer the full body decoys like the carry lights but zink, dsd, and many others look super great. I have killed several turkeys with the old feather light foam decoy but have since upgraded. I used the pretty boy full strut decoy for the past 2 seasons and have had mixed results. Lot of the 2 year old birds seem to shy away from this decoy. All in all I would suggest a jake and hen. Best of luck with whatever you choose!!!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby jbshunter » Fri Mar 02, 2012 7:56 am

uploadfromtaptalk1330696482553.jpg

Here is the pretty boy.
Given the shaft!!!
jbshunter
hunter

Postby shootable Goose » Fri Mar 02, 2012 9:26 am

Thanks guys. I'll have to check on if they are legal or not but I have seen an old beat up turkey decoy when I was elk hunting.  Left by some other hunter, but that obviously doesn't mean its legal. 
Anyway I'm going to be hunting pretty heavily wooded areas with meadows that are about 30-75 yards wide. I'll have to do some 
More scouting but I'm thinking if I set up a few yards in the trees I won't even need decoys. 
This happened to me when I was on elk stand. About 20 turkeys can walking across the valley and walked 10 yards in front of me and then up into the trees.
Bill Herian wrote:I would rather decoy ducks, but geese, geese are another story. Jump shooting geese is like playing dodgeball with fat kids. And I love dodgeball.
shootable Goose
hunter

Postby bat man » Tue Mar 06, 2012 7:48 am

tons of good decoy info at bestturkeydecoy.com

dig around in the old posts for lots of info
bat man
Newb

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Apr 28, 2012 7:37 am

I don't ever use a decoy when I'm the shooter, but almost always use them when I'm calling for someone else, especially kids. It helps to keep the attention away from the hunter. I prefer to keep the bird looking for me and not get hung up out of range because he already sees me and expects for the hen to come join him. All of my biggest birds have been when hunting without a decoy with the exception of my first merriams and this bird skirted the decoy, obviously nervous about it and made for a longer shot than usual.

Here in Idaho it's a bigger problem for me to get them out without being seen, not to mention having to carry one more things up and down these mountains. I had to pack that merriams back up 600 feet of elevation over a 2 mile hike, I'm just getting too old for that.

Decoys have their place, sometimes they help, sometimes they hurt. My dad won't hunt turkey without them and will put 3 or 4 of them out. When I used to hunt at the Kansas Governors one shot hunt, one of the guys in my group used 6 turkey decoys and had canada geese come into the green wheat field he was set up in.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby luie b » Sat Apr 28, 2012 10:21 am

Turkey decoys are so overrated it's not even funny. We never hunt with dekes and between my dad and I we've killed dozens of birds. When you don't have a decoy it makes you WAYYYY more mobile because stepping out in the field before a set to put out some stupid decoys can easily bust you many times. I prefer to be mobile when turkey hunting, if I hear a bird off in the distance, I go to him and get to about 100 yards then start calling to him. If you just sit around in the same spot all day the chances of you calling in a bird are a lot slimmer because there's a lot of hens out there to intercept that tom when he's coming your way.
**2014-2015 Illinois Waterfowl Season**
Blue-winged teal - 14
luie b
hunter

Return to Upland Game