All Drakes?

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

All Drakes?

Postby Nathan N » Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:55 am

Hey everyone. Long time lurker, first time poster. I am in the process of repainting some old duck decoys for next fall. My first dozen floaters turned out pretty good so I am now working on a dozen mixed magnums and super mags that I will be converting to field decoys due to keel damage. Last year we ran a mixed spread of about 8 dozen honkers along with a dozen fb mallard drakes and 4 fb Pintails. So here is my question. Due to the coloration of hens, should I repaint the dozen I am working on as all drake mallards or do you think I should paint a few as hens? It seems so unnatural to run all drakes but I also highly doubt the natural coloration of hens will really add much if any visibility to the spread. Please let me know your thoughts. Thanks.
i shoot spoonies wrote:

shouldbeaguide should rename... shouldabeenswallowed
Nathan N
hunter

Re: All Drakes?

Postby Bob Caygeon » Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:53 pm

I think if u use full body geese you have enough visibility. I would paint some as hens.
Bob Caygeon
hunter

Postby BGipson » Tue Apr 10, 2012 8:49 pm

I would paint them as cacklers cuz field duck decoys are ineffective in my opinion. Get a couple mojos and put em close enough to the blind to knock down if ya see geese coming.... or you could always pay the extra and get em with remotes :rolleyes:
Every day I try to be the person my dog thinks I am. If I have accomplished this when my time comes, I feel I will have had a pretty good life.

FowlGrunt Field Staff
BGipson
hunter

Postby duckman2525 » Wed Apr 11, 2012 5:16 pm

I use all drakes in the woods, hens just don't show up, and its never seemed to hurt us any...i figure the same would go for a field
If it don't have a green head...it's not a duck!
duckman2525
hunter

Postby woodduck31 » Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:02 pm

I've gone to using dark hens in all of my set ups and in fact we use black ducks with great success. I just think a dark hen shows up better and takes advantage of some light conditions where white or light colored decoys don't show up. A mallard hen virtually disappears in a corn field, but a black duck is still visible. The times I've hunted timbered areas in southeast Kansas, good calling and ripples on the water were plenty to decoy birds.
woodduck31
hunter

Postby Nathan N » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:48 pm

Sorry for not posting an update sooner. I painted 6 super mags up as black duck drakes and 6 as mallard drakes. Just didn't see much value in hens. Now i am working on painting 6 magnum black duck floaters and then I have 4 dozen more old floaters to repaint as mallards. These will be a 50/50 mix of hens and drakes. Oh and I will have about 4 dozen mallard drake heads to flock once I am done with repaints. A lot of stuff to get done but I have Netflix in my garage so it ain't too bad :wink: Thanks for the help guys
i shoot spoonies wrote:

shouldbeaguide should rename... shouldabeenswallowed
Nathan N
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting