Question a Crow Hunting

If you are a migratory bird hunter, share your New Hampshire duck hunting tactics here.

Moderators: JustinNH, Ross R

Question a Crow Hunting

Postby HeritageHunter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:19 am

Season is just around the corner and I was hoping to get some clarification on a few things.

1.) Can you hunt crows with lead?
2.) Do you need to have a Federal Duck stamp on your person?
3.) E-callers are legal?

If someone has a good contact at NH Fish Game I will gladely call and follow up myself, but to be honest the few times I have called I only got to speak to the secratary and not a officer. The person was very nice and tried to help but I prefer to get my information fro mthe EPO's directly. I also cheched the fish and game site and only thing I could find was no HIP was required. Other than that crows were listed under the waterfowl section. Thanks guys.
Keep the tradition alive and take a kid hunting!!!!

Honor our soldiers. Their sacrifice has given us our freedom.
HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Re: Question a Crow Hunting

Postby JTR » Fri Mar 09, 2012 8:33 am

Rob,

I don't know about NH in particular, but in Mass, you don't need a duck stamp, and lead and e-callers are legal. Just in case you were thinking about crossing the border for some crows. :thumbsup:

I read somewhere that a crow eats 12 duck eggs on average every year. Don't know how accurate that is, but it makes me feel real good about killing them. My guess is that that number comes from farther up north where the majority of ducks breed.
Ruger's Retrieves: I lost count
JTR
hunter

Postby HeritageHunter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:37 am

JTR,
The number I heard was 12 eggs a day!!!! Also have heard from a few people that when a farmer starts planting in the spring they will swarm the fields and pick out the seeds recently planted. Can really cause a farmer some headaches as far as trying to get stuff planted.

I have a spot I have been scouting for deer the last few weeks and have been seeing a ton of crows. With the mild weather this year I think they did not migrate out as far and could be some fun this spring!

HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby TomKat » Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:19 am

My thoughts on crows-

They have the best vision in the entire bird kingdom.

They are smart and wary birds.

Something about fighting owls drives them crazy. They lose a lot of their survival instinct...

I have called in a fair number of them first thing in the morning with predator calls.

Crows like feedlots and pecan groves. I doubt you have them that far north, but pecans are great crow bait.

You really dont need anything bigger than #7 shot to kill them. If you are packing more than that, you are just setting yourself up for abuse. Enjoy it.
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby JustinNH » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:28 pm

Yes, lead is fine
No , no stamp needed
Yes, e-callers are ok to use.

I use whatever I have. Target lead loads, leftover upland loads, last year's steel. As long as I know what it is to adjust my lead, etc.

You can hunt 1/2 hour after sunset, unlike waterfowl.

I believe you can unplug your gun as well.

I prefer to use a mouth call... seem to have a lot more luck with it compared to my e-caller. Actually, I didn't bring the e-caller out once last year. Its nice because if there any around and you call correctly... they will be there in less than 1 min. If I don't have time to decoy and sit I will drive to different spots and call for 5 min. If nothing, i will move.

There are some on here that make my 10-25 crows a year look like a few hours worth of work, so I am far from an expert. But it sure is fun.
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby HeritageHunter » Fri Mar 09, 2012 2:54 pm

Thanks Justin. I actually called the CO at Fish & Game and he confirmed everything you said. :thumbsup:

I did the mouth call thing last year and had some success. But on my recent scouting trips I have heard the crows get really fired up and it was amazing to see the amount of birds that just piled into a group that was making a lot of racket. I ordered my self a cheap E-caller ($25) just for crows and will also be ordering a few dekes to go out this year with.

I believe the opener is MArch 16th so St Patty's day I will be celebrating it by being brushed in and hopefully throwing some lead into the sky!!!!!

HeritageHunter
State Moderator

Postby JustinNH » Fri Mar 09, 2012 3:35 pm

No problem, good luck and be sure to let us know how you do!

I'll be trying to make it out as well. Well, I know I will be, but I have only checked out one of my spots and it seemed to be a bit slow but I still saw some. :thumbsup:
JustinNH
State Moderator

Postby capt1972 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 6:42 pm

Yes. No. Yes.
capt1972
hunter

Return to New Hampshire Duck Hunting