Decoy question?

Post your views here in the Ohio duck hunting forum. From lay out boat hunting on Lake Erie to the fields and rivers of OH.

Moderators: Ohio Wildfowler, andrew_kirby, jsa, cartervj

Decoy question?

Postby Apoc » Sun Mar 11, 2012 3:47 pm

I have been buying decoys used here and there and now I have 41 mostly mallards. I plan to hunt mostly from my kayak and shallow places I can hunt with waders. My question is how many do I need? Iv read in some magazines where it sounds like they are using hundreds. I don’t think I could carry all the decoys I have plus gun, shells, and anything else I might need. Also I was wondering if I should buy some other breeds. Iv been seeing pintails and wood ducks. They seem to cost a lot more. Will they help that much? How many wood ducks would I need for them to help my spread?
5257 why is this so small? :mad:
These are Carry Lite decoys. Are those female pintails or are they supposed to be something else? I think the guy I bought them from was selling them as blacks.The bodys of the two on the right are identical to the female mallards I have.
Last edited by Apoc on Thu Mar 15, 2012 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Re: Decoy question?

Postby ducknazi » Wed Mar 14, 2012 12:41 pm

Match the hatch-that is put out as many as you're seeing.

I have shot birds over large spreads on big water and over 6 decoys. Depends on the area. Little beaver swamps don't require many. As far as the woody decoys, a few tossed out in areas you've seen them can never hurt.

tell us a bit more about the area you hunt-NOT specific location.

Generally, most birds will decoy to mallard decoys, but if there are divers in the area, a few bluebill dekes can help.

DN
ducknazi
hunter

Postby Apoc » Wed Mar 14, 2012 7:53 pm

I mostly plan to hunt some local open swamp dnr wetland not many trees but fairly open not very deep. Also some ponds and a local lake if I can draw a blind. Those may be a little deeper. I had some wood ducks come into a dove setup I was hunting last year so I plan to try to hunt that also if it floods. It is a hay field that sets low next to a creek out of the wind. I have access to pretty much any type of environment but Im guessing the best spots are the dnr wetlands and the nearby lake that will be crowded right. :lol3:
13 Doves
2 Woodys
2 Gadwall
1 GW Teal
Apoc
hunter

Postby ducknazi » Thu Mar 15, 2012 1:40 pm

hard to say for sure, but a bag of +/- 24 decoys, mostly mallards, with a few pinnies and woodies should more than do the trick until you hunt lakes and larger bodies of water later in the year when a few diver dekes may help.

DN
ducknazi
hunter

Return to Ohio Duck Hunting