crow hunting...? help!

Discussion on shooting predators & varmits and the trapping the furbearing animals.

Moderators: Preacher1011, nitrousneil

crow hunting...? help!

Postby wvugunner92 » Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:05 pm

Waterfowl season is over and I'm looking for something to get into. I was wondering if anyone on here could give me some good tips as to be successful crow hunting. My buddy has both the decoys and electronic caller but neither of us has put it to work. I see a ton of crows around are goose hunting fields this year and was thinking about seeking in the hedgerow and seeing what i could do. Any tips and advice would be appreciated greatly.
Lock em nd Drop em
wvugunner92
hunter

Re: crow hunting...? help!

Postby duckstopper333 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 11:16 am

Here's what works for us in the scenario you mentioned:
Pick a spot in the hedgerow that has shorter trees so crows passing over will be in range. We set out 10-20 decoys in the field, about 20 yards from the hedgerow, and 6-10 decoys as high as we can get them in trees in the hedgerow. The speaker can be on the right or left, but put it in a tree off the ground near a decoy. We make a small blind using camo leaf-o-flage and also wear face masks. We try to be ready before sunrise.

Start off with a non-fighting call to try and attract only one or two crows at a time and shoot the first crow that comes in range. Using a call that really riles them up might bring in a bunch, but as soon as you shoot they'll leave and not come back.
Good luck.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby TomKat » Mon Mar 12, 2012 12:35 pm

My tips for you-

DO NOT underestimate the eyesight of crows. They have excellent vision, make sure you have camo on and cover your face and hands!! IMPORTANT!!!

Also, you dont need super heavy loads to kill them, bigger than #6 is not necessary
TomKat
Dorothy

Postby ic3breaker » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:25 pm

Hide yourself in some cover some decoys will make it a lot easier for you. We've shot them from field edges while tucking into the woods. If you can call them with two people it will be a lot more effective. What has worked for us is to start with one guy calling and once you hear a response to have someone else start calling and as soon as they are in range pop out and shoot, unless you can get them from cover. Another thing that we started doing last year is getting on trails and putting a guy on each side and start calling then when you can hear the wings of the bird over head to jump out and shoot. That has proven effective for us in the woods on trails. Don't jump out until you are sure they are above you or they will spot you and take off. That is more of a run and gun method, don't use decoys just call them in and let the crows fly around searching for you. The first couple times out you might meet with some difficulties and get skunked but you'll see what works and what doesn't in your area pretty quick, there is a fast learning curve if you don't have someone to show you how to hunt crows. You'll connect with them eventually though, just keep at it. Gravel pits with trees near the edges are good spots to try too, especially if you can get near an elevated spot above your decoy and stay hidden.
ic3breaker
hunter

Postby greasegetter » Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:35 pm

check out crowbusters.com.They give you all the tips you need to get started
greasegetter
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Thu Mar 15, 2012 10:48 am

i prefer a mouth call to bringem in from far away and then i let my decoy with the call built in do the rest....I would highly recomend spending the $30..........heres the link to the electric caller i would get:

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Edge-Flo ... l+Products
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby cONG » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:00 pm

rabbit call work awsome for crows works everytime
cONG
hunter

Postby cjg » Sun Mar 18, 2012 6:15 pm

I find I do better without decoys. I use an electronic caller and try and find a place where the trees aren't very high, when they circle over looking for the crow/owl fight they will stay just over the trees, if the trees are to tall, they will be out of range. Seemed like when I tried to do this with decoys they would hang up out of range and watch the decoys.
cjg
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:33 am

cONG wrote:rabbit call work awsome for crows works everytime

this is true they work great as a finisher to get them in close... i have found it extremely helpful on those blue bird sky's when they just circle really high
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby ic3breaker » Mon Mar 19, 2012 7:56 pm

if you run the rabbit first and then wait for some crows in the distance and then start crow calling you get a chance at some song dogs, and maybe a fox too.
ic3breaker
hunter

Postby one2many » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:20 pm

#1jumpshooter wrote:i prefer a mouth call to bringem in from far away and then i let my decoy with the call built in do the rest....I would highly recomend spending the $30..........heres the link to the electric caller i would get:

you must have superman lungs to use mouth call for far away crows,or far away for the two of us are nowhere near the same
my e caller is much much much louder then my mouth calls
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

Postby #1jumpshooter » Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:06 pm

one2many wrote:
#1jumpshooter wrote:i prefer a mouth call to bringem in from far away and then i let my decoy with the call built in do the rest....I would highly recomend spending the $30..........heres the link to the electric caller i would get:

you must have superman lungs to use mouth call for far away crows,or far away for the two of us are nowhere near the same
my e caller is much much much louder then my mouth calls

I would agree that most ecallers are louder then my lungs can produce but the ecaller i was promoting is relatively quit but sounds like a murder of crows so it is an extremely effective asset
#1jumpshooter
hunter

Postby ic3breaker » Wed Mar 21, 2012 9:35 pm

You don't always need volume, it depends on your situation and where you are. We call by mouth a lot of time no calls and get crows, I know a guy who calls in coyote and bobcat with just his mouth vocalizations. That isn't very loud compared to an e-caller or even a hand call, but he's had more success than I have.
ic3breaker
hunter

Postby duckstopper333 » Thu Mar 22, 2012 6:45 am

I've used mouth calls in the past, but have now switched exclusively to an e-caller. Most of the crows that are called in are focused on the e-caller speaker so they aren't looking at the shooter/mouth caller, which helps. An e-caller can be left running even when you aren't seeing any crows. Passing crows that aren't seen by the shooter sometimes just drop in from a direction you weren't watching. You can eat your lunch and not worry about having a mouthful of food when you see crows LOL.
duckstopper333
hunter

Postby one2many » Thu Mar 22, 2012 2:56 pm

i use mouth calls too but no way its bringing crows in from far away
I'm way too baked to drive to the devil's house.
one2many
hunter

Return to Predator Hunting & Trapping Forum