Plastic wood duck boxes.

A forum dedicated to conservation issues and listings of conservation Orgs

Moderators: NV Guide, Dogman

Plastic wood duck boxes.

Postby Morgan12 » Mon Mar 12, 2012 8:14 pm

Anybody using plastic Woodduck boxes that you buy? I'd like to try a few out but all of them I have seen have been around 60 bucks. They will be in Illinois and in the shade I have heard they will actually heat up the eggs to the point of no return in warmer climates. Also where are you guys getting your post? I used a 8 foot T post on 3 of mine but that still only leaves them 6 foot off the ground. The person who use to put them out has 12 foot poles on his. The kind they use on road signs, I dont have awhole lotta money I just spent 80bucks on Tpost and mounting hardware.
Morgan12
hunter

Re: Plastic wood duck boxes.

Postby Have Gun Will Travel » Thu Mar 15, 2012 7:08 am

I havent had a bit of sucess with the plastic boxes. I went back to the wooden ones after 2 years.
adustydawg2 wrote: maybe, just maybe, if you held your mouth right and prayed a little, you might get a 1 day invite before the end of the season. :eek: :hammer: Just a possibility. :bow: Send me a pm. :hi:
Have Gun Will Travel
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Mar 15, 2012 11:05 am

I live in East-central Illinois and I would say to build them out of wood. They won't last as long but imo you'll have better luck getting a "wood" duck to use them with success.
They aren't called plastic ducks are they?
They nest in hollow trees so it just seems like a hollow log with wooden caps on the ends and the right sized hole would work the very best. I cut up hollow trees all the time and never thought of making wood duck nest boxes out of them.
I'm going to have to do that now...

Acorn
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Morgan12 » Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:35 pm

Thats actually a great idea! Take the bark off so it'll last longer and it should work
Morgan12
hunter

Plastic wood duck boxes.

Postby Coleman24 » Thu Mar 29, 2012 9:28 am

I have always just used wooden boxes, idk that I even ever saw these plastic ones?
Coleman24
hunter

Postby rammajamma » Fri Mar 30, 2012 1:40 pm

I build all of mine out of cypress.

As for as post go, I just weld together to 8' t-post (metal fence post). I then weld a chain link at the very top for my hardware to slide into. They are not but about 6 ft above the water but the wood ducks still use them.

They are a little flemsy with the weight of a box on them. I was skeptical about that, but a tree sways in the wind as well.

I could make it more sturdy if I welded 4 post together (doubling the thickness), but it might be a little harder driving them into the ground. :)
rammajamma
hunter

Postby renegadeduck » Fri Aug 03, 2012 11:22 am

my club has used them. woodnt put em out if they were free. we went back to wooden ones
renegadeduck
hunter

Postby RustyGunz1960 » Sat Aug 04, 2012 9:36 am

Why do you think they call them WOOD ducks? Plastic boxes are for Flambeau decoys to nest in! :tongue:
RustyGunz1960
hunter

Postby Gen. Lee » Sat Aug 04, 2012 5:10 pm

Whatever you use for the box, make sure you use a predator guard...

I buy a 10 foot long post of salt treated lumber, dig a hole 2 or 3 feet deep, set post, and pour in a bag of quik-crete...Seems to work OK...Cypress or cedar are popular for the boxes in the South...

Good luck.
Gen. Lee
hunter

Return to Conservation/Biology