Duck Hunting Forum banner

Need help with my deer plot

1K views 2 replies 2 participants last post by  Anonymous 
#1 ·
I have about 10 acres behind my house, that backs up to two other propoerties of roughly 40 more acres. My land is all pretty much wooded, but there is a steady deer trail where I see them all the time. I have cameras up and know where they move around, but I dont know how exactly to build a decent food plot area sins it is wooded. I can get back there with my leaf blower and clear out as much as I want, but once I do that, is there any specific type of seed I should throw down? The winter here in WI is over now and grass has come out, so I figured it was time to get working on this project.
If anyone has any ideas or recomendations please let me know. I had just read a little and saw to plant some subterranean clover for shady areas..

thanks!

#2 ·
If the deer are comfortable using the area, I wouldn't bother with it. Besides, with minimal site prep and a forest canopy, I doubt you are going to get any volume of feed to grow. If you have mast from the hardwood trees the food tons per acre is probably way higher than what you will get to grow on the forest floor.

G
#3 ·
I read your post and it seem like the same situation for me. My dad recently told me he owns 40 acres of land 30 minutes away. I went to check it out found that the 40 acres of land is centered in Hunting Club. The hunting club has all pine tree throughout the their property and my land is just heavily forested. I did some scouting to find deer tracks and areas of resting. Should i even bother to invest in feeder or just steal the deer coming into my land for rest?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.