Competition Duck Calling

Information on duck calls and duck calling tips.

Moderators: okiequacker, callinfowl, stumpjumper, Mallyard

Re: Competition Duck Calling

Postby dsmzr68 » Wed May 23, 2012 3:27 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:And when put together should sound something like this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8RyZmaIoMs&sns=em

I tried your calling routine and feel much better now that the paramedics left-- the oxygen they gave me really helped !!!! Seriously you sounded great on youtube, congratulation I envy your ability. Thanks for the routine layout- very nice ! Now if you are interested in custom calls I just started making them 6 months ago when I retired.LOL
dsmzr68
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Tue May 29, 2012 3:02 pm

alright this is for you guys that have competed for a while , wut sound do you look for in your competition call when you tune it. wut do u think is best for comp. I have my call tuned where it is easy to blow but naturally when you do this it is a little quiet.Is this sumthing i need to be concerned with? ive been told that how loud the call is isnt a main concern.It sounds great and is real smooth other than that
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby Meatss » Tue Jun 12, 2012 1:08 am

SouthernWingsAssaultTeam wrote:alright this is for you guys that have competed for a while , wut sound do you look for in your competition call when you tune it. wut do u think is best for comp. I have my call tuned where it is easy to blow but naturally when you do this it is a little quiet.Is this sumthing i need to be concerned with? ive been told that how loud the call is isnt a main concern.It sounds great and is real smooth other than that

Tuned is tuned.
Tuning should have zero to do with tthe volume of a call. Thats all in exhaust bore and tone board design. :huh:
Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Fri Jun 29, 2012 2:10 pm

Make sure your hails are not thin like mine :yes:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby huntandride » Mon Jul 30, 2012 9:58 pm

Anyone have any more tips on a ringing hail call.. I just got a mvp and want to get into contest calling. Ive been getting serious about learing to call since last november but ive never had a call to blow a ringing hail with so its causing me quite some trouble. I noticed some guys like the cheeks puffed while some stay more "normal". What do you guys like to do. I really need help with this. Is it a pressure thing like a spit note? Or blowing a lot of air or just fast air? Thanks!
huntandride
hunter

Postby SouthernWingsAssaultTeam » Tue Jul 31, 2012 4:20 pm

I use a word like "hut" and use the same mechanics as normal but using more air.Alot of the ring has to do with tuning.It is gonna take a few reeds to get it where you are happy with it.i would get a bunch of reeds save the original reed,put the new reed in and cut a tiny bit off at a time until u get it like u want at first.I like mine pretty easy to blow so the reed is short.listen to the videos on youtube and try ur best to match it.I had trouble with this too for a while.And maybe one of the more experienced guys can come on and explain it a little better.
Rodney Hill
Echo championship calls prostaff
Avian X Fieldstaff
SouthernWingsAssaultTeam
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Tue Jul 31, 2012 7:49 pm

Open up your hand and blow clean, air. Make sure your throat is open. Move your hand around until it is ringing, but you will most likely have to open up your hand. I can post a video for you in the next couple of days.
mayhem96
hunter

Postby huntandride » Wed Aug 01, 2012 1:34 am

Thanks for the help guys. Im starting to get it more i think. It sounds a little buzzy and not quite as clean so i might start messing with the tuning. Im trying to match the sound to the youtube videos but it has surpirised me. i thought that it would be a little louder
huntandride
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Aug 01, 2012 7:07 am

huntandride wrote:Thanks for the help guys. Im starting to get it more i think. It sounds a little buzzy and not quite as clean so i might start messing with the tuning. Im trying to match the sound to the youtube videos but it has surpirised me. i thought that it would be a little louder

The MVP is probably the quietest comp. call out there :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Aug 01, 2012 10:54 am

mayhem96 wrote:
huntandride wrote:Thanks for the help guys. Im starting to get it more i think. It sounds a little buzzy and not quite as clean so i might start messing with the tuning. Im trying to match the sound to the youtube videos but it has surpirised me. i thought that it would be a little louder

The MVP is probably the quietest comp. call out there :thumbsup:

About middle of the road.
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby huntandride » Wed Aug 01, 2012 12:30 pm

well for as many guys have won with them and after re reading Trevors break down sounds like volume isnt as big of an issue if you can just blow the call right. I also remebered I have a buddy that will be back home at the end of August and he has always offered to help me with calling.. might have to finally take him up on his offer
huntandride
hunter

Postby Meatss » Tue Aug 07, 2012 9:07 pm

huntandride wrote:well for as many guys have won with them and after re reading Trevors break down sounds like volume isnt as big of an issue if you can just blow the call right. I also remebered I have a buddy that will be back home at the end of August and he has always offered to help me with calling.. might have to finally take him up on his offer

Remember........................the louder your call, the louder the mistakes :thumbsup:
Lord forgive me for I shoot hens.
Meatss
hunter

Postby huntandride » Tue Aug 07, 2012 10:18 pm

Yeah. I tried to record my self with my ipohone yesterday, It didnt really sound that good and i couldnt figure a way out for to load the video on the computer
huntandride
hunter

Postby duck1nut » Thu Aug 09, 2012 8:18 pm

When you guys talk about being powerful in your calling, what are you talking about? Is it loud calling?
duck1nut
hunter

Postby duckman1106 » Fri Aug 24, 2012 10:53 am

Power has some to do with volume, but also with aggresively hitting your notes. I don't know if the question about how to ring the call was answered, but if you squeal it over, then back off a hair, you should be in the right place to ring it.
The Mallard Militia: We kill more ducks before 7:00 am than most people kill all day!!
duckman1106
hunter

Postby BAMF » Wed Sep 05, 2012 6:52 am

Contest calling shouldn't be judged by volume, but that's just me. I'm new to the sport but think I'm doing pretty good. Im using a Gaston
BAMF
hunter

Postby Cafowler » Mon Oct 22, 2012 7:30 pm

huntandride wrote:Yeah. I tried to record my self with my ipohone yesterday, It didnt really sound that good and i couldnt figure a way out for to load the video on the computer

Try backing off about 40 feet or so.... Clarity might be better.... :-)
Somewhere a small town has awoken, only to find the village idiot has left and taken his shotgun....
Cafowler
hunter

Postby Scott. » Sun Nov 25, 2012 6:55 pm

Fixing to buy a comp call. I'm a big fan of RNT, but I'm open to suggestions. What ya'll got?
"Honorable scars are not to be penalized."
"There are two kinds of people in the world without beards. Women and boys. I am neither."
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEE
Scott.
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Sun Nov 25, 2012 7:00 pm

Scott. wrote:Fixing to buy a comp call. I'm a big fan of RNT, but I'm open to suggestions. What ya'll got?

LCC Open Water. It's very loud, but still has a lot of duck to it. The other I would tell you to buy would be a Black Flapper Plus from Tim Grounds. I'd put these two calls up against a MVP or BOSS :thumbsup:
mayhem96
hunter

Postby duckman1106 » Wed Nov 28, 2012 8:42 am

You just need to find the comp call that fits you. Echo Boss and RNT MVP are the two calls you'll see most on the stage at the worlds. The reason is two fold. Because they are both really good comp calls and because there is a wealth of contest calling knowledge that travels in those circles. Buck Gardner has the Kryptonite, I think GK just came out with one, and there are a few more out there. But if you get good enough to go to Stuttgart on Thanksgiving weekend, you better have an RNT hat on or they won't let you win. :yes:
The Mallard Militia: We kill more ducks before 7:00 am than most people kill all day!!
duckman1106
hunter

Postby Scott. » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:20 pm

I ordered another Original so I can tune it and change things if I want to. If I dont like it, I will probably get an MVP. I just really like RNT.
"Honorable scars are not to be penalized."
"There are two kinds of people in the world without beards. Women and boys. I am neither."
WOOOOO PIG SOOOOIEEE
Scott.
hunter

Postby Joe Guide » Sun Dec 02, 2012 3:07 pm

Greetings....

I've judged North Carolina, South Carolina, Georgia and IL at both the state, regional duck and goose calling contests since 1987 when I first judged the southeastern regionals which was then out of Atlanta, GA.

REMEMBER...

One scratch. And you're gone...

Never push the time limit... and consistant top three contestants always work on your routine for 20 minutes or more, three times a week for weeks prior to their competition.

Regards,

JOE GUIDE
Coastal N.C.
(Read SUNRISE ON THE SANTEE) It's about the great flooded timber (public hunting) for Mallards on the upper Santee River's 16,000 acres of Sparkleberry.
Last edited by Joe Guide on Wed Dec 05, 2012 6:43 am, edited 2 times in total.
Mr. Nash, he had me take out a Mr. Money from England, who was "De' Shooingest Gent'man" I'd ever did meet! ***Check out [Joe Guide YOU TUBE hunting Videos]***
Joe Guide
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Mon Dec 03, 2012 4:15 pm

Joe Guide wrote:I've judged NC, SC, GA and IL at both the state, regional duck and goose calling contestss:once 1987 when I first judged the southeastern regionals.

One scratch. And you're gone...
Never push the time limit and work on your routine.

What's your name?
mayhem96
hunter

Postby Trevor Shannahan » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:02 pm

Joe Guide wrote:Never push the time limit... and consistant top three contestants always work on your routine for 20 minutes or more, three times a week for weeks prior to their competition.

It's no fun if you don't push the time limit :yes: I'm notorious for it, but have never been DQd, I have a pretty good sense of time when that light comes on.

I can tell you I practice maybe the day before a contest unless its a big regional or worlds. Even then I only start a week before the contest and blow 2-3 routines a day. With duck calling you never really lose it, you just gotta get your air control back. That only takes a day or two for me
Trevor Shannahan
Freestyle Outdoors
Trevor Shannahan
hunter

Postby mayhem96 » Wed Dec 05, 2012 5:53 pm

Trevor Shannahan wrote:
Joe Guide wrote:Never push the time limit... and consistant top three contestants always work on your routine for 20 minutes or more, three times a week for weeks prior to their competition.

It's no fun if you don't push the time limit :yes: I'm notorious for it, but have never been DQd, I have a pretty good sense of time when that light comes on.

I can tell you I practice maybe the day before a contest unless its a big regional or worlds. Even then I only start a week before the contest and blow 2-3 routines a day. With duck calling you never really lose it, you just gotta get your air control back. That only takes a day or two for me

Didn't try to blow a routine until late last week. Couldn't even finish my triple. Finally got back on track this week and have been slamming them out...IDK why though...

I would say it takes a few days to get my air control back for me.
mayhem96
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Duck Calls and Calling Forum