Hunting Traffic

For those who enjoy duck hunting in the fields, this is the place.

Moderator: Skyblaster7

Hunting Traffic

Postby garza7585 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:55 am

Hey guys,

I have some friends that have fields with corn and/or ponds on them. A couple of them are within a mile or two of a protected wetlands area. Now i've seen case where people will have land but you won't see a bird on it all season. It seems that there are particular fields that these birds want to use. If that is the case, is there a way to get ducks or geese to come give your spread a look?

I will put my time in scouting the areas and hopefully, there are birds that use the areas, but if there isn't what can I do (if anything) to get birds to decoy or come into range?

Jose
garza7585
hunter

Re: Hunting Traffic

Postby goosehunter64 » Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:29 am

If the geese are flying close or over the pond and the field, use both....and lots of decoys...both in the water and the field.
Sometimes you need to call the snot out of them...sometimes not so much....
Flagging can be a big help as well :thumbsup:
Rob.
Team WingLock
Lock'em "N" Rock'em
goosehunter64
hunter

Postby SPatrick » Tue Mar 27, 2012 1:24 pm

If its just honkers you are after flag em, and lots of calling, for ducks, a spinner or two in the field is the way to go.
Shaun Patrick
Avery Prostaff
HEVI-Shot Prostaff
SPatrick
State Moderator

Hunting Traffic

Postby Coleman24 » Tue Apr 10, 2012 7:04 am

^^ everything he said.. For geese a flag and quality calling. And spinners work wonders on ducks!
Coleman24
hunter

Postby garza7585 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:02 am

Yeah, that seems to be the general consensus. I'm stoked about this season coming up and September cannot come quick enough. I've got about 4-5 fields that I have permission to hunt with the potential of being able to hunt surrounding properties. I can't wait!!!

I got all summer the brush up on the goose calling technique and acquire some deeks... Sophomore waterfowlin season will be a success!!
garza7585
hunter

Return to Field Duck Hunting