She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 pm

Well finally the wait is over she is a very good little girl and is excellent in the kennel. It was a little cold this morning 1 degree C but we had a good walk and some fun with the bumper. She is 9 weeks old today.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:31 pm

Thank God. Posts when the pup actually arrives and there's pics are infinitely more interesting. :lol3:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:32 pm

Why are you using orange bumpers?
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:42 pm

Little color can make a pretty gal prettier in pictures. And probably not much of a visibility issue at baby dog distances.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:14 pm

Rick Hall wrote:Little color can make a pretty gal prettier in pictures. And probably not much of a visibility issue at baby dog distances.

That's it. Musta been the 'plan'.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:17 pm

HNTFSH wrote:Why are you using orange bumpers?

I did not know there was a color preference to use, I have white ones too that I used yesterday but I thought the orange would show up better in the field...not that they are being tossed that far. Let me know I do not want to start out wrong.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:20 pm

Never mind I went back to my book (she was running blinds LMAO).......I should have remembered that one :hammer:

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:25 pm

Phild wrote: I did not know there was a color preference to use, I have white ones too that I used yesterday but I thought the orange would show up better in the field...

That was the only reason I mentioned it. No big deal today but knowing the difference helps later. Despite my being corrected about mentioning it. :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:27 pm

HNTFSH wrote:
Phild wrote: I did not know there was a color preference to use, I have white ones too that I used yesterday but I thought the orange would show up better in the field...

That was the only reason I mentioned it. No big deal today but knowing the difference helps later. Despite my being corrected about mentioning it. :lol3:

If there is any thing at all I post, say or have a picture of that is wrong, close to wrong or if it looks like I am thinking wrong....KICK MY ASS and correct me. I can leave me # toll free if that helps.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:44 pm

HNTFSH wrote:

You weren't being corrected, I was trying to be cute. But it does bug me when I snap what would be a better shot if the bumper were orange, as was the case with this puppy pic, which wasn't nearly as interesting (at least to my eye) the first time I caught it with a white bumper:

If I were trying to be serious, I'd have mentioned both the rope on the bumper and the rope on the dog that are "no-no"s to this get-it-right-from-the-first-toss-without-a-trip-up (pun poor but intended) non FFer.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:48 pm

Wow I have been a poor student thanks corrections made, but why none on the bumper?
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:50 pm

Phild wrote:If there is any thing at all I post, say or have a picture of that is wrong, close to wrong or if it looks like I am thinking wrong....KICK MY ASS and correct me. I can leave me # toll free if that helps.

Unless that post was intended for HNTFSH's eyes only, you're asking for confusion to nth power. Or haven't you yet noticed the truth behind the old witticism that the only thing two out of three dog trainers can agree on is that the third is clueless.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:57 pm

Phild wrote:Wow I have been a poor student thanks corrections made, but why none on the bumper?

So a pup running in with it won't inadvertently step on it and trip and/or pull the bumper out of its mouth. That, or fall into the bad habit of carrying the bumper by the rope. For folks who routinely do formal "hold," anyway, those may not be issues, but I'd rather my pups were conditioned to carry to hand as a matter of course during all of their retrieving work. Also to steadiness as a matter of course from the onset (albeit briefly at first), but that's yet another example on which opinions vary greatly...
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:58 pm

Ew Ew! I know this one...Having rope on dummy encourages "cigaring". and like Rick says, they'll trip on it that's an excuse to get in trouble.

Please don't ask how I know this and it's a pain to correct. :eek:

Do I know you Phil D?

Sweet dog.
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:03 pm

Thanks Rick you can kick ass too...I am no trainer by any stretch. I just don't want to mess up my girl LOL.
Phild
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:22 pm

Real nice looking pup !!! Enjoy and don't worry, just keep spending time with her and make it fun!! :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby redlabbarry » Thu Apr 05, 2012 3:52 pm

Great looking pup!
redlabbarry
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Apr 05, 2012 5:30 pm

Really nice looking pup, Phil. I know she'll get the proper training as you seem like you've got your head on straight. Good luck and form you a great hunting companion. It'll be the most rewarding thing you've ever done. Don't hesitate to ask before trouble.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:33 pm

Rick Hall wrote:
Phild wrote:If there is any thing at all I post, say or have a picture of that is wrong, close to wrong or if it looks like I am thinking wrong....KICK MY ASS and correct me. I can leave me # toll free if that helps.

Unless that post was intended for HNTFSH's eyes only, you're asking for confusion to nth power. Or haven't you yet noticed the truth behind the old witticism that the only thing two out of three dog trainers can agree on is that the third is clueless.

The funny thing Rick is that Phil thinks permission for such needs to be granted.

So Phil as you can see no matter of time here on the DHC dog forum will right the aptly posted witticism ship.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:43 pm

No problem guys and thanks for all the comments ....she is a fine dog (I'm a bit partial). So tonight's trip to the field included
1) walking on the lead
2) having her drag the lead (no bumpers)
3) lead off for some fun bumpers...white with out the string
5) a few practice with the "sit" while on leash with treats ..she is getting this quite fast I will vary sit with treat and sit with praise
6) a nice long fun walk in the tall grass...she really barrels into the thick cover and has a great time

And now she is sleeping already....I think she is still on time change and goes to sleep the same time when we are 3 hrs ahead here. Any thoughts on puppy jet lag and their scheduled times being thrown off?

All her meals have been switched over to the new time zone as well as her regular poop times but her bed time is way early. This AM I was up at 4:30 LOL I am sure she will come around.

Thanks for everything
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Thu Apr 05, 2012 6:49 pm

Have fun Phil!

Don't know about pups but the red-eye from Los Angeles last week to NC followed by a 500 mile drive sure wiped ME out! :lol3:
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:08 pm

FWIW-the best puppy bumper is a small foamy paint roller....light, easy on the teeth, and easy to carry.(helps instill good habits from the get go...no dropping; or less of it anyways) A regular bumper to a pup is like throwing a goose for a grown up dog.
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Indaswamp » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:11 pm

Rick Hall wrote:

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :clapping: Think we've proven that in spades here lately Rick....
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:14 pm

I use the paint rollers in the hall way with her a little I didn't think they would be much good outside. I use the smaller puppy sized canvas ones outside.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:31 pm

I wish my pup would sleep until 4:30 am!!! My little one has me up around 1 am, then again about 3, and then usually beats the alarm by a few miniutes near 5:30.......ugh! LOL :lol3: :lol3: But on the bright side "0" accidents and goes straight to the door and then outside to pee each time she wakes me up. I am crate training her and she is doing great.
Like you, I take my pup out each day for a nice walk/exploring, we do a few Sits mixed with a few retrieves, but mainly just spending time together. I create her or put her in one of the holes of my Topper when I am working the other dogs and she has learned that barking/whinning gets her no where, so she just takes a nap! :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum