She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby Labber » Sat Jul 27, 2013 8:46 am

Phil,
I would only review the disciplined casting on land, and use no more pressure than is absolutelty necessary. I would only do a day or two unless it is really poor. You can start the swimby at the same time as reviewing disciplined casting on land. The first thing you will do in swimby is pile intro.
When you are doing swimby, you are working at a closer distance from the dog than you do in TT.
The slower pace of water work, creates (in my opinion) both a need and an opportunity to show and communicate (help).
When you get failure confusion or confidence issues during intro of each new step, try to show by tossing a bumper. Once the dog understands what is expected, that may be the time to use the collar.
Some people adopt the practice of dropping down one level on the collar for water corrections. Something to consider.
Water is a place of vulnerability for dogs. Lots of freebies!
Read through this link.
I printed it and took it with me for reference the first time i did swimby.
http://www.retrieversonline.com/swimby.htm
Labber
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 02, 2013 8:38 am

Well with work being so damn busy I have not started swim by but I have been doing land and water marks and stretching her out just a bit. 100 to 125 on water and last night for no other reason that to do it becasue I had a thrower we went all the way out to about 200-225 just to give her a good run she was alone all day while I worked. It was very light cover just in a grassy field, or maybe I wanted to see if she had field trial distance in her :rolleyes:

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri Aug 02, 2013 9:07 am

Phild wrote:Well with work being so damn busy I have not started swim by but I have been doing land and water marks and stretching her out just a bit. 100 to 125 on water and last night for no other reason that to do it becasue I had a thrower we went all the way out to about 200-225 just to give her a good run she was alone all day while I worked. It was very light cover just in a grassy field, or maybe I wanted to see if she had field trial distance in her :rolleyes:

Later
Phil

so how did she do with the long marks?
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Aug 03, 2013 9:55 am

She did pretty well, I started at about 100 then 150 and then 200 I would not consider them overly hard marks due to the cover but once I had her out to 200-225 on the first mark she did not go near far enough and started to hunt the 150 area. I sat her and gave a back cast that made her clue into ahhh its further now. Light was poor we were in a shadowed part of the field with the sun to our back and the throws were not good lol didn't break skyline and were in the sun lit area. So she did not pin them but was close enough for her nose to do the work.

Water marks out to 100 -125 were also pretty simple straight out marks and she did fine but she did square the bank on the way back in and was really sucking wind lol.

This is not something I normally train on, I just wanted to see if she could do them I talked to my trainer and mentioned FT's and he said not everyone can just walk into a beginner test that the distances were that much greater and they may be too hard. Tell me I can't and I will try my damnedest to show you I can kinda thing lol.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Labber » Mon Aug 05, 2013 7:37 pm

Phil, Don't be shy about stretching her out. Be aggressive. This is one time when I do repeat marks. I usually make the mark big, and VERY visible, and throw it to an easily identified object, like a lone tree or bush. Make sure the dog will find it easily when it gets there. When the dog is on the way back, I start backing up, and then repeat. I might add 50 yds to each retrieve, but the bumper throw remains exactly the same each time. The dog runs the same line. Make sure you are on flat simple terrai to start.
Port (Guages littermate) is now doing 300 yd singles on water & land. Simple marks just long.
When gauge is doing that 300-350 yd single well, make it a memory bird by throwing a shorter 50 yd go bird as part of a double.
Then make it the memory bird of a triple. then go back to doubles and do it with the long bird retired.
Always build on the pevious work. If things get messy, back up & simplify, and help the dog. You build confidence in marking by exposing them to it. She is at the age where she is just about ready to start rock & rolling. Distance means almost nothing once they are exposed to it.
Labber
hunter

Postby crackerd » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:14 am

Phil, if you know Labber like the retriever world knows Labber - and he's got the vested interest of having a littermate to your pup - better know you're getting golden advice that needs to be followed to a "T" (Double-T) and beyond. Every bit of it. What great good luck you've got in having Scott take that interest in you and your pup.

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Aug 06, 2013 12:18 pm

Thanks guys I will do this for sure the only problem is I need a good thrower for this LOL I can't imagine walkign out 350 yards 6 or 7 times to load a launcher and making her sit and wait LOL that would be killer on her. Maybe I will pack my bike now for training too LMAO.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby crackerd » Tue Aug 06, 2013 2:36 pm

Phild wrote:Thanks guys I will do this for sure the only problem is I need a good thrower for this LOL I can't imagine walkign out 350 yards 6 or 7 times to load a launcher and making her sit and wait LOL that would be killer on her. Maybe I will pack my bike now for training too LMAO.

You may need a thrower, but getting another good Canadian adviser (advisour?) is the next best thing. That would be Mr. Dennis Voigt, particularly in how he addresses "Standalones" for training alone: http://www.retrieversonline.com/standalone.htm And I can tell you that as a thrower yourself, X-training shoes or Keens work just as well as an ATV for getting you out there - and are healthier for you, too. :wink:

MG
crackerd
hunter

Postby Labber » Thu Aug 08, 2013 7:14 am

Good advice from crackered re stand alones.
I can walk 300 yds or more with Port sitting at the line, throw a mark with a shot and send him on his name. He is not yet returning to the mat on his own, but i might start teaching that. The only pain about this is when he decides he's waited long enough and I have to walk back to sit him. It happens less & less frequently now.
Labber
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Aug 08, 2013 4:05 pm

Oh I can sit Gauge at the line put out a white bucket on the line where I would stand, walk out 100 yards, send her, heel her to me take the bumper and tell her matt and she will go sit beside the bucket. I was doing that before I got my winger, I am sure I could stretch her out and make her sit longer adn move further out I just like being beside her when I send her. Maybe I will go back to that again I thought that it may mess her up not being there.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:39 am

Bad news duck blind 1.2.11 has been washed out with the flooding we had this spring, it made it thru the ice but the lake came up I am guessing over 5 feet and flaoted it out. I guess railway ties 4feet in the ground was not enough. Looks like duck blind 2.1.16 will be made on a skid system this season and put on a platform base that is removeable. I will be starting the build this weekend with the help of some from friends maybe, just need to provide beers lol. Just over 3 weeks till opening day.
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 09, 2013 10:49 am

Damn I thought I posted a pic of Duck blind 1.2.11 lol here she was
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 09, 2013 11:56 pm

Oh my I found this while looking up the Mach3 and triple threat calls this is priceless.
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 14, 2013 9:31 pm

Been awhile for my own video update, here we have Gauge working on sit, down and here.

This one is day three of swim by, we were working at a different pond for force to water and the whistle tread water but I decided to move because the cover was just too heave and thick for me to move around the pond. I will just use both sides at this location.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 23, 2013 10:50 am

So we are just about done the left over casting exit of swim by and old Mr. Beaver decided to come see what was going on. You want good distraction for training swim by get yourself a beaver in the pond. The moving in the water then the slap of the tail, poor Gauge thought there were marks fallign everwhere. She still took her casts mind you the back cast was a bit off swimming to the beaver but that gave me a chance to stop her and back cast her again and again. I will be switching pond sides tonight and doing the other side as I only have one exit.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Aug 29, 2013 9:59 pm

Gauge's progress on swim by, this is the opposite side of the pond day three.

And duck blind version 2.0.18

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Sep 01, 2013 7:21 pm

Well today was open day for waterfowl for Gauge and me, we went out with another guy I know so I could handle while he shot just to make sure that Gauge knew what was going on her first hunt. Well all the hard work and training, choosing a great breeding and getting a great dog paid off. This was my first hunt with a dog, my dog that I trained made it all the better it was absolutely amazing.

We headed out to the reeds at 6:30 am put a make shift dog stand in the water for her and gave her the kennel command, up she climbed and I went to set decoys. Ten minutes later we were waiting, I started in on the call and I could see her excitement build she knew that something new and exciting was going on. The first small flock of Mallard's rounded the corner heading for the creek into the decoys. I waited and waited my buddy was ready and I yelled take 'em as he came up the birds flared hard down the creek he fired off a single shot and picked one out of the bunch. The bird by this time was 30 yards off and behind us over my right shoulder, Gauge was on my left. Moments later a loud splash came from the bird piling into the creek, not knowing how muck she seen I gave the call....."Gauge." She leap off her perch and cornered the reeds heading down creek.

Moments passed it seemed like forever, I could here her swimming and swimming and thought to myself oh no a disaster she didn't see the bird and is hunting. I walked out around the corner and seen her chasing down the cripple about 200 yards away by now heading down creek with the current. She was gaining fast and that was when she picked up he first Mallard form a hunt. I quick "here" and back up the creek she came swinging back into the reeds and with a couple kennel commands she climbed up on her perch to present to me her trophy.

It was a very proud moment for both of us, I was worried how the first real hunt would go, my buddy said man that was a great retrieve I don't think she even seen it go down. I let my buddy take another bird and seen the light go on for Gauge, releasing her a second time I knew that she was in the game. I went and picked up my gun and soon after we shot two pairs of doubles both of which were scooped up without a second look. Not too long after that I hit a winger poor shooting and it landed in the deep reeds far right. Gauge took off in hot pursuit she made the far bank where she thought the bird went down, started her hunt and came up short, I blew a sit whistle, gave her a back case bounding into the deep cover I decided to head to her and help get her in the right location, moments later out she came bird in mouth.

I couldn't have asked for a better opening day, great marking, picking up doubles and even taking casts. Gauge picked up 9 birds today and we never lost a one. Five Mallards, two Gadwall and two Teal. Thanks to everyone who helped me with all my questions I can't wait for the rest of the season.

Later
Phil

The Wait

The Prize

The Team!
Phild
hunter

Postby sparelink » Sun Sep 01, 2013 9:10 pm

Looks like a great hunt. Congrats for all your hard work. I will be going through the same thing in a few weeks with my pup who turns one Sept. 12.

What did you use for your dog stand? Looking for something temporary until I can get my invisilab ordered.
sparelink
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:42 am

Good on the both of you.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:00 am

sparelink wrote:Looks like a great hunt. Congrats for all your hard work. I will be going through the same thing in a few weeks with my pup who turns one Sept. 12.

What did you use for your dog stand? Looking for something temporary until I can get my invisilab ordered.

I cut the back and arms off one of those snap in place folding lawn chairs with a square base lol, I needed something temporary as well but think I'll save my $200 lol

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Sep 02, 2013 9:04 am

Rick Hall wrote:Good on the both of you.

Thanks Rick I don't have the inventory of pics like you and the coyote have yet but I will work on it lol
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:12 pm

Mighty fine work Phil, but the real congrats go to the Gauge/Phil team. Probably the greatest feeling I've ever had hunting was that very first bird my first lab picked up over 40 some years ago! We're all proud of you and enjoyed watching the progress of you and Gauge! Congratulations on a well done job!!
Last edited by tenfingergrip on Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 03, 2013 5:44 am

awesome!!! loved the first retrieve chasing a cripple story. think you got a duck dog!!!
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby stevietangles » Tue Sep 03, 2013 9:22 am

Hey Phil
Im sure you are a happy father after such a opener with Guage.
I am sure Sue and Chris are happy to see one of there pups going in the right direction.

I wish you guys a great season.
all the best.
stevietangles
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Tue Sep 03, 2013 1:49 pm

stevietangles wrote:Hey Phil
Im sure you are a happy father after such a opener with Guage.
I am sure Sue and Chris are happy to see one of there pups going in the right direction.

I wish you guys a great season.
all the best.

Hey Steve .... we think you have one going in the right direction too!!!

:thumbsup:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum