She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, swampbilly 1980, captainkevan

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby Labber » Wed Sep 04, 2013 7:42 am

Congrats Phil, on the hunt that will stay with you forever.
Labber
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Sep 06, 2013 10:34 am

Thanks everyone, we are 14 birds down and 0 lost. Please don't get that confused with 14 shots and 14 birds LMAO. I am heading North for a couple of field goose hunts and maybe a river hunt this weekend with the kids. This will be Gauge's first time with geese so I do not think she will be retrieving, maybe a good time to introduce and let her get a feel for them and do a bit of training with them.

Should I even take her to the field in her blind and not let her get the birds? Work on patients and blind manners I was thinking. She will no be getting any geese that are not thrown by someone and that are not totally dead.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby labman63 » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:31 am

Congrats on the great hunt and fine dog work. Why would you not let her retrieve geese? That's the first thing that comes in here almost of my dogs first retrieves are on geese. Some of them stumble a little but the only way they learn how to handle them is to handle them.
labman63
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:51 am

I wouldn't be worried about retrieving as much as gun noise and tons of birds dropping. Depending how many ppl you hunt with, things can get hectic.
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:
Federal Xperts. Would be the only expert I'd want to deal with it

Xpert hunter ^
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Phild » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:14 pm

OmegaRed wrote:I wouldn't be worried about retrieving as much as gun noise and tons of birds dropping. Depending how many ppl you hunt with, things can get hectic.

She is great with mutiple guns and this hunt there will be only two, I just thought to build her confidance up on duck first before letting her tackle the big guys, she is only 52 lbs 54 soaking wet LOL I will play it by ear if she wants to go and it a stone cold dead one I may send her.

Later
Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:32 pm

Phild wrote:
OmegaRed wrote:I wouldn't be worried about retrieving as much as gun noise and tons of birds dropping. Depending how many ppl you hunt with, things can get hectic.

She is great with mutiple guns and this hunt there will be only two, I just thought to build her confidance up on duck first before letting her tackle the big guys, she is only 52 lbs 54 soaking wet LOL I will play it by ear if she wants to go and it a stone cold dead one I may send her.

Later
Thanks
Phil

I'd just stick to shooting singles on ones you want her to retrieve. Use it as more of a training than hunting experience after you shoot a few. My buddies lab retrieved about 15 this weekend with one being about 600 yds. And she is only 50lbs, but didn't miss a beat. Gauge will tear it up!
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Xpert hunter ^
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Phild » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:25 am

Well the birds were slow and few and far between but I mannaged to call some in for my friend to drop. We did only singles it was a very controled hunt, both for Gauge and his daughter who is 12 she did awesome. I didn't shoot I had my kids as well and a blind buddy, Liam who is 5 with me.

When the first bird went down Gauge was realyl stoked to hammer it she burst out of her blind heading across the field and arrived at a 12 or so pound goose lol, she looked back at me then the bird then at me as if to say "you want me to pick this thing up?" I must say it was pretty funny so I started encouraging her and walked toward herand she was deciding how ot pick it up, looking for a spot and nosing the bird for a good location. The goose picked its head up and looked at her and she did a little jump lol by that time I was there and was encouraging her and soon she found that she could pick it up by the wing area and off she came trotting proud as piss, goose head swinging away looking all around. She did drop the bird a couple of time but managed to wrangle it back into position. The second bird was much better I didn't walk out just gave her lots of praise and she managed to drag that guy back in too.

I will say they are a pretty good size bird for poor old Gauge at 52 lbs to haul across a field but with more pracitce and time I think she will learn how to handle them just fine. We did try form a sitting position to get her to fetch it form me holding it and man I can see why she even has a hard time getting her mouth open that far, she couldn't physically mouth around the birds brest. So it is either higher up on the neck or the wing joint. Both of these location makes the bird hang low when she comes in and it kinda drags and causes more work.

I am pretty happy for the first two geese she brough and it was a great day. I will try a few more controlled hunts with one gun and keep praciticing with her. Pics to follow.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Tue Sep 10, 2013 10:27 am

Phild wrote:Well the birds were slow and few and far between but I mannaged to call some in for my friend to drop. We did only singles it was a very controled hunt, both for Gauge and his daughter who is 12 she did awesome. I didn't shoot I had my kids as well and a blind buddy, Liam who is 5 with me.

When the first bird went down Gauge was realyl stoked to hammer it she burst out of her blind heading across the field and arrived at a 12 or so pound goose lol, she looked back at me then the bird then at me as if to say "you want me to pick this thing up?" I must say it was pretty funny so I started encouraging her and walked toward herand she was deciding how ot pick it up, looking for a spot and nosing the bird for a good location. The goose picked its head up and looked at her and she did a little jump lol by that time I was there and was encouraging her and soon she found that she could pick it up by the wing area and off she came trotting proud as piss, goose head swinging away looking all around. She did drop the bird a couple of time but managed to wrangle it back into position. The second bird was much better I didn't walk out just gave her lots of praise and she managed to drag that guy back in too.

I will say they are a pretty good size bird for poor old Gauge at 52 lbs to haul across a field but with more pracitce and time I think she will learn how to handle them just fine. We did try form a sitting position to get her to fetch it form me holding it and man I can see why she even has a hard time getting her mouth open that far, she couldn't physically mouth around the birds brest. So it is either higher up on the neck or the wing joint. Both of these location makes the bird hang low when she comes in and it kinda drags and causes more work.

I am pretty happy for the first two geese she brough and it was a great day. I will try a few more controlled hunts with one gun and keep praciticing with her. Pics to follow.

Later
Phil

Great to hear. I would say that's pretty typical for the first time. It's all downhill from here.

P.S. Also cool to hear you guys got the kids out - sometimes you have to remember it's not all about the killing, but putting time in with people (and dogs) that you care about
OHIODUCKA5 wrote:

Xpert hunter ^
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby Phild » Tue Sep 10, 2013 9:04 pm

Pics because what is a story without pics?

Mackenna in her blind pretty happy for getting up at 3:30AM

Liam and Gauge

My blind buddy (I didn't shoot just called and ran Gauge)

My Buddy and his daughter 12 years old...she knocked down her first goose......thanks to some great calling and decoy lay outs lol

Proud guy

Two for the day but the birds were not flying and pretty scarce

Packed up and moving to a pea field

This one is my favorite I love the fog in the background and the perspective from the blind, the gun is unloaded for anyone wondering.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Sep 11, 2013 5:30 am

awesome story again and the pics really help.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Spry Yellowdog » Wed Sep 11, 2013 8:23 am

Love the pics thanks for sharing

Spry
With a Dog...You never hunt alone.
Spry Yellowdog
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Sep 20, 2013 10:36 pm

Not much about dogs but I though I would add it to the list of things I do. Here are some fishing pics from last week fishing for sturgeon and salmon on the Fraser and Harrison River in British Columbia.

Here is the first fish of the trip, I was lucky enough to catch it a 65, 110lbs sturgeon

55 incher

My Pink Salmon

Buddies Pink

59 incher

56 incher and on the rod out back

This one was just to make sure no one called bull lol

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:03 pm

Well had another great hunt yesterday with the big guy Liam who is 5 and Gauge. We went out in the sneak boat and hid in some reeds there were lots of birds flying just out of gun range and the ones that did come in will it was easy pickings. I just put in a new pattern master code black duck choke and man what a difference. The range is much better than that of the factory Beretta chokes that came with my A400. I even picked up my first double with one shot for this season on two passing spoon bills, Liam looked at me and said wow dad you are a great shot and gave me a high five. Now that felt good :biggrin:

I did notice however that with all the birds flying, calling and heck even loading shells that Gauge got more vocal this time, more than usual. She would just about lose it if I decided to allow birds to land in the decoys and not shoot them. She would look at me, look at the bird and keep going back and forth then start to whine as if to say come on man do your job. I had to tell her not quiet, sit, light nick. It seemed to start to sink in that by the end of the day she knew she wasn't going to get a bird everytime she seen one, or when I shot lol.

It was pretty funny I must say one time there were lots of Canada geese in the area but i had two mojo's up and they would always be just out of gun range. After the 3 rd or 4th flock she turned her head, looked at me and barked two short barks right in my face and then turned away and sunbbed me giving me the cold shoulder LOL. It was like a slap in the face for not doing my job I guess. I did manage to bring down a nice mallard drake that came striaght into the decoys, flaired straight up and after yellign at Liam .........incoming duck no pun intended it splashed down with a giant thud 4 feet from the boat where he was sitting. Up he looked and with a hugh grin, not sayign a word I could tell he thougth it was pretty cool. Pic to come as always.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Sep 23, 2013 8:39 pm

well here are the pics from Sept 22nd, in Grande Prairie, Alberta.

Up and ready for the day

First green head of the year

I am the master hunter he declared

searching the skyline even with me taking a pic lol
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Sep 24, 2013 5:42 am

i think she has the duck hunting thing figured out!!!
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Oct 01, 2013 9:05 pm

Just when she had the hunting all figured out solo I threw a wrench into things and did a three man, two dog hunt today. It was a great time old Gauge is pooped now and we had some good training/learning experiences in honoring the other dog. We are still working on the crying and whimpering but it seem like she is looking for my attention when she sits for a long period of time and there is no action. It is worse if there are shots going off and she is made to sit and not go get anything. I did notice the other dog who is 3 also do the crying thing a bit when she sat for a long time, even thought it is not right it made me feel better lol.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Oct 03, 2013 9:08 am

Well a small world it is last night I had the opportunity to meet with Duckdon form the site, he was on his way thru to a dog test in Minnesota from Alaska and had to drive thru Grande Prairie to get there. It was nice to meet a fellow waterfowl/dog guy we had a good chat over dinner and had lost of hunting and dog stories to share. All the best on your trip Don and good luck with the test.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Oct 03, 2013 5:44 pm

Phild wrote:Well a small world it is last night I had the opportunity to meet with Duckdon form the site, he was on his way thru to a dog test in Minnesota from Alaska and had to drive thru Grande Prairie to get there. Phil

Cool! :thumbsup:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:43 pm

Well for all of you following "The Life of Gauge" here is her litter mate Port. If I could I would make him mine that would just be so awesome knowing the stock he comes from.

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums ... 01117-(CAN)-Dakota-Creek-Teal-of-Allanport

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Labber » Thu Oct 03, 2013 8:54 pm

Thanks for posting this Phil.
I have 3 Labs here at home & 2 university educations to pay for.
Port is now ready to start hunting.
Labber
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Oct 03, 2013 10:32 pm

No problem I hope it helps get him to a great home I just wish I could take him.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Oct 05, 2013 9:54 pm

Another happy first time duck hunter today and Gauge did awesome again in the foot and a half high waves on the lake. A limit of mallards and shovels with a couple teals in the mix. Pix to follow, busy getting ready for tomorrow AM.

Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Oct 08, 2013 8:12 am

Well just a little report on Gauge, I was keeping track of species for awhile but now I have just kept a count we are one shy of 50 birds for this season. Gauge has been working some pretty tough water for her first season hunting most of the night we go out to the blind the wind is really blowing hard and the waves coming off the lake are between 12 and 18 inches high. Her crying is getting better and she will recover from a missed shot faster now lol. By that mean why you miss she only reminds you that you missed for a short time. We are having a blast and have introduced three new guys to duck hunting and they are hooked I am sure of it. I have my older friend Grant 73 coming out again this year and he enjoyed his time out last night watching Gauge and taking a few cracks at some birds. He even got the first mallard last night.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:37 pm

Well a couple of new things not so much to do with "The Life Of Gauge" other than I am lining up three goose hunts here in the next few days. It seems that we have hit the peak of our Canada's and the are hitting the field hard wave after wave.

I am not sure how many Canadian guys or gals are reading this thread but for those of you who are Dakota Creeks Retrievers has now started carrying SUGAR coats after talking with Sue about the cold temps and water I am hitting now we felt that this would be a great addition for Gauge in the blind. We are getting down to -4C over night and the water is getting low too, fast.

http://store.dakotacreekretrievers.com/ ... sugar1.htm

Last but not least I want to give a congratulation shout out to Duck Don for his and Josey's second place finish in the largest Versatile Dog Test in North America in Hogo, MN. Way to go!!!! :thumbsup:

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Oct 13, 2013 1:49 pm

Best add some new pics I am falling behind, too much hunting and not enough posting to keep up with the times lol.

Liam laying down in the blind, "hunting is hard work dad"

I really like this one.

Got caught calling

Searching the skies

An inside look

Time to do the top cover again the wind is so bad it just blows off every week

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum