She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby Phild » Wed Oct 16, 2013 11:38 pm

Well Gauge has number 75, 76 and 77 in the bag after tonight. We had enough time after work to go out on a field walk along our creek where we hunt. Tonight was a time where I am glad I put a vest on Gauge, we had 4 teal come off the water and I downed 2 of them at about 30 yards out gave Gauge the shout and she was off. Seeing that she was coming off land she is going full force as I am sure you have seen your dogs and just before she hit the creek I heard a loud crack. I took my eyes of the second duck and seen Gauge in a pile of dead willows that were sticking out of the mud. There was one there a good 2 inches round broke off and she was making her way thru the rest of them. She was not paying attention and ran full speed ahead into the dead sticks. If it had not been for her vest I think she would have been seriously injured. So protection and warmth are two great reasons to use one on your dog.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Rutin » Thu Oct 17, 2013 5:26 pm

Sounds like shes progressing very well! Cant wait for more pics throughout the season, best of luck
Sargent Taylor's Hevi-Shot (Sarge)
Great Ballz of Fire (Maverick)
Rutin
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Oct 18, 2013 8:35 pm

Here are a few from today these 3 make 80 birds this year for Gauge. Not all mine I hunt with a few different guys who are kind enough to let Gauge go get their birds lol

A little accident last week the A400 fell in the lake I took it home blew it out with compressed air then went on a goose shoot that night where my buddy thru a shovel full of mud in the open action. I dumped it out and shot!

Gauge with 77 in her mouth

The two geese make 80

Gauge figures that if she can learn to shoot she won't need me lol

Some of the species we get in the lake I was in today

Inside the goose caboose ready for a field hunt in the AM for some Canada's the greaters are down from the North for all my US friends

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Oct 18, 2013 10:48 pm

What is all the talk without video???
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Oct 28, 2013 4:35 pm

Well things in the North are getting pretty cold all minus temps in the mornings and ice on the way, well there already has been ice for a bit. Great news is on the weekend Gauge got to break 100 birds this season, I went out Saturday morning and shot my limit 8 but that brought us in at 99 birds lol can you believe it? So I heard some shots off not to far from me drove over had found two guys hunting, no dog, no canoe just hip waders. They said they had 4 birds down in the taller grass but couldn't find them. I offerd Gauge and they obliged, We went out into the lake just before the grass I lined her up and called dead bird, where's the bird hunt'em up. A few mins later out she came with a live mallard lol. We did the other three patches of grass and got all 4 birds. They shot 4 more for her putting her at 107, they were pretty impressed and never hunted with a dog before and loved watching her work.

Sunday we went out again and got 5 more, to make her total 112 :thumbsup: We were hunting with anohter older dog, no real training to speak of and not to knock the other dog but Gauge out marked her on every bird. I was disapointed in myself and Gague on the first bird of the day however, the other dog was about 30 yards away and the owner shot a bird. His dog slowly started walking out and kinda in the wrong direction, Gauge after 5 mins of staring at the spot the bird landed broke from her dog stand and was off before I knew it she was past the other dog bee lining the bird. I let her go :hammer: only becasue I knew the other dog was not in the right area. I should have called her back and then sent her but I didn't ..........lesson learned. I apologised to the other guy and he said don't worry about it my dog was off any way.

Later I got permission to send her on a double that was shot by the first gunner who was about 40 yards down from us becasue Sako was a bit off the mark. The one bird landed just to his right about 50 yards from us in the lake and Gauge marked it spot on, picked it up and took it to Chris, we hunt together a fair amount and she will listen to him pretty good. The second was a winged bird that sailed off into the field behind us and still had lots of life. We went to the field and I calle ddead bird hunt'em up and she bounced around in the grass for a long time and then the nose went down, tail straight up and she started, I said Gauge go the bird and the other guy said no she doesn't, I just said give her a couple mins lol. About 400 yards from where it was shot she drives her head in the snow coverd grass and comes trotting back with a fine shovel head with one broken wing, alive as can be. I must say that was a pretty proud moment for me. I hope to get a few more days in before we totally freeze off. I do have a trip for pheasnats and ducks later in November planned for Southern Alberta so that might give us 150 for the year I am hoping. That would be a good number for a first year hunting.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Oct 28, 2013 7:13 pm

I have to say you and gauge are having fun this season and with a lot of retrieves im hoping to get around 50 retrieves but we are in almost 2 different worlds when it comes to ducks.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Oct 29, 2013 3:56 pm

Hunting with my kids and Gauge is the coolest and most fun I have had hunting since I first experienced hunting as a kid. I can't believe I waited this long in life to get a good retriever, I think it would be fair to say that there will always be a hunting dog in my house from now on and Liam (being more of a hunter than Mackenna) will want and have a dog as well when he gets older.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Nov 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Well Gauge and I have been busy trying to get that 150 mark for the year and it looks like it just isn't going to happen. We went out today and ran into ice and lots of it. There were a few open spots and lots of birds flocked up in huge flocks but always just out of gun range it seemed, or further. I did manage to knock down #116 for her and out she went breaking ice to get it, about 5 or so feet of ice from the shore to open water the bird was off to our far left and rather than having her swim all the way back I ran down and called her in and she broke ice back to shore.

I know I once wondered if a Lab would tolerate the cold of Northern Alberta and I originally wanted a Chessie. After this season and today especially I have no concerns with a Lab (Gauge in particular) working in cold temps and cold water. She only got cold one time in the blind after 14 retrieves and 3 1/2 hrs most of it sitting between birds wet and not moving.

WORD OF CAUTION not sure how many of you shoot over ice and open water but things can go south in a hurry, Gauge was giving some roaming time and wandered out after a muskrat, went out over the ice into open water and broke off the end. She had a hard time getting back up on the ice and I honestly thought I was going to have to go in and get her. It was a pretty scary moment where I decided that is it no more shooting over the ice that is too far for me to go out and get her. It was about 12 to 15 feet out not sure if I could have broke that far or would have went swimming.

Gauge's break thru

She managed to climb back up on the ice

Watching far off birds with a nice ice patch starting around her neck

Ice coming in every were

Last posed pic for the season, (maybe I still have one more trip planned south LOL)

A common site I got to enjoy seeing this year, duck in hand and Gauge by my side.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby sneaky » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:21 pm

Great looking dog Phil, and great work training her. It was super encouraging watching these videos.
Duckwise wrote:Duck Calls have saved more ducks lives than they have caused to be taken thats for damn sure.
sneaky
hunter

Postby copterdoc » Sat Nov 09, 2013 11:37 pm

And to think that he almost bought a Chessie instead.
copterdoc
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Nov 10, 2013 6:13 pm

you are more than welcome to come south to GA and stay with me and hunt divers and wood ducks.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Nov 10, 2013 7:21 pm

copterdoc wrote:And to think that he almost bought a Chessie instead.

I was looking hard but when you know nothing then you only go by hear say. I will now be an advocator for Labs and cold temps well at least Gauge. With the proper gear they will stand about as much cold as you would like to hunt in.

Krazy that would be a dream hunt to do for sure, hunting wood ducks is on my bucket list. Hey seeing that you are from GA have you ever heard of a mud boat company called Prodigy Boats? I am looking at getting a custom duck boat made in the future and they are based out of Jasper GA. I might just be making a trip down to pick up a boat, we could even test is out hunting woodies if the timing is right.

Sneaky thanks for the kind words I must say I knew nothing but having a good breading, lots of access to information and a few people to give opinions and advice from here really helped. There is nothing more fun than hunting with a dog, your dog that you trained. Well unless it is hunting with the dog and your kids lol.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Nov 11, 2013 5:25 am

Yes I have heard of prodigy boats haven't done a lot of research but a lot of guys on the ga outdoor news forums like them. And we get tired of shooting wood ducks cause that is about all we get.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:19 pm

Well If I ever do come that way what is a trip to GA with out going to Atlanta? You are only 3 hrs away form Jasper as well not far at all after traveling 2609miles LMAO.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 18, 2013 12:01 pm

Well sad times are setting in our season is over not due to the dates being over but becasue of the weather. All the water is frozen over, 2 feet of snow in most places winter has reall set in here in Grande Prairie, Alberta. Gauge and I finished of the season with a pheasant hunt in Southern Alberta. We traveled 10 hrs to get to where the birds were and over 1057kms or 650 miles. A fair drive for a hunt but it was well worth it and Gauge was in her glory being able to run around searching and hunting compared to sitting for hrs on end in a blind or dog stand.

We were hunting with a couple of old guys that had hunted the area for years both wild and released birds. Gauge worked the first day with a Springer to get the idea of what she needed to do. She did okay I thought, I never hunted them before and the two dogs together got up a couple birds. One of the guys showing us around, the dog owner said that Gauge did a great job of her first time hunting and he thought is would be a real crap show with a first time dog. He said he was really surprized and couldn't believe how well Gague listened and took commands.

Day 2 Gauge hunted on her own, well my buddies Blue Heeler tagged along but he bounced a lot. After a couple hrs of hard pushing bush for wild birds Gauge finally flushed one and you could see the light switch go on. It was like she said "If I search hard and find birds the will fly and get shot and I get to go get them" LOL. I never see a dog cover so much ground looking for birds, all it took was a littel encouragment with "where's the bird find the bird" or a "hunt'em up" if I wanted her to hunt an area I could call her back and cast her in the direction I wanted her to go, not sure if that was the way to do it but it worked. Day 3 was even better than day 2, Ben the springer was 10 and was a bit tired and sore so Gauge got to do most of the hunting in cat tails 4 feet deep covered in snow and flushed out 5 wild birds on the last day.

This last hunt brought her total to 126 birds for the year, I couldn't be more happy with our first year hunting. Time to relax and be a dog for the winter and come spring start back in on steadiness, tripple marks and blind work.

Pictures and a couple of videos to come.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:49 pm

Gauge and her first Pheasant

Gauge, Ben and Grizz the heeler

Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 18, 2013 8:54 pm

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Duckdon » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:20 pm

I was just wondering about your pheasant hunt. Now I know. NICE job.
I made it home Ok. Roads were good as I got north of Grand Prairrie.
The dogs were done with sitting in the kennels for sure.
Don
Forgive me for being arrogant. I own 2 Drahthaar's.
Duckdon
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Nov 18, 2013 9:29 pm

Great to hear Don, glad you were not traveling the roads this past week they were the shits, cars and semis off all over and highways closed.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun Nov 24, 2013 12:34 pm

Sad day yesterday I went and took my blind out for the year, I am sure all you are in full swing using yours and good luck to you. Here are a few pics of how we take the blinds out in Northern, Alberta. November 6th we had no snow and ice was just starting.

No fear of falling thru 8" of ice in 18 days.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Dec 11, 2013 4:01 pm

Not much to report in teh world og Gauge, -20's to -44C :crying: one night and 4 feet of snow. We have accumliated as much snow as all of last year already. It's going to be a long winter with lots of ball inside.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Morphsuit » Thu Jan 02, 2014 8:08 pm

Hey Phil check your messages please!
Morphsuit
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:07 pm

Sorry for the delay message sent. I have been busy cheating on you guys over at mud motor chat, I have been thinking of getting a custom mud boat made and getting a surface drive motor for it for fishing but more importantly duck season. I was thinking of a custom 19x56 or 60 bottom and a Gator Tail GTR35 stage 2 motor to push it. I have a thread going with some CAD drawings if you care to check it out. Only problem is the boat and motor are about a 5000 mile return trip for me to pick up lol so about 8000kms. I have done trips as far as 9000 with my 5th wheel but that was 32 days.

Here is the thread http://www.mudmotortalk.com/mmt_v2/view ... =2&t=48989

Here is design #8 i think lol but I have to redo it again the front is too long and narrow it needs to be shortened up. This is an 18'6' X60" bottom with an 80 " beam on a 1:16 scale CRAP the image doesn't fit, click to get the full image.
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:06 pm

Well I have some pretty sad/bad news that I got the past few days, don't worry Gauge is fine and fat from being such a hard winter with little action lol. Well lets see if I can get this right, so hear is the skinny after seeing the surgeon I have been having neck problems for a few months now and I finally got an answer. I have a herniated cervical disc between C5 and C6. It is at the point now where intervention needs to take place soon the operation is for a herniated cervical disc is called an anterior cervical discectomy and fusion (ACDF). Pretty much this http://neurosurgery.ufl.edu/patient-car ... ated-disc/ of I could go to the States to some clinic for a steroid shot for $20,000 that may or may not work if they would take me. Have had people advise against them totally.

I will not be getting a boat built this spring but I do hope to be back in shape to do some training with Gauge after all the healing is done. Should be about the same time as the snow goes here any way lol.

Thank you everyone for all you have contributed
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:14 pm

hope the surgery goes well and you heal quickly so you can get back out and start training. if belle wasnt able to pick a bird up at least 3 times a week she will literally go crazy.
krazybronco2
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum