She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby TCFarmer » Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:07 pm

I think you'd be happy with the 2300.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Apr 12, 2012 11:45 am

I think I may be looking at the Tritronics Pro 100 G3 EXP, my breeder is a dealer and she says that one should be a good one.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby TCFarmer » Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:06 pm

You will like the 100.
TCFarmer
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:56 pm

Just a little up date from here in Northern Alberta, the first pic is from April 12th and the others are from April 14th.

What the HECK!!!

Gauge enjoyed it

waiting on April 15th to get out

Later Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Apr 25, 2012 3:56 pm

Going in for her 12 week shots today not sure what to expect, my boy just got his 4 year pre school ones and was a trooper. Gauge is now sitting very well and starting to hold her sit for longer periods of time, I can move around the room on her as well. She is also doing down with treats and we are starting on a slip lead in the heel position while walking which is coming along well. In the field we are using the whistle sit and here with good success, sitting and holding outside seem to be more of a challenge I think there are more smells and distractions.

We are going to do some clip winged birds again this week to keep the fire burning in her but she is doing bumpers well but I am dying to get her some water to get into. Most of the ice has just left and things are still really cold here I am thinking we will not see water for at least another month. She has however got a chance to do some wading without any coaxing from me and even decided to walk thru some ice in shallow puddles to get a closer look at some geese.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:33 am

Well just a short walk this AM with four bumpers at about 25 yards into cover. Gauge is doing very well and came busting out of the tall grass tail straight up. I think I am going to introduce place this week or next. We did some live birds on the weekend and I let them go after using them before they get too handled (I have pretty good access to lots of live birds).

I planted a few lock winged birds after dragging a scent trail for about 50 feet for her to find then led her to the trail and helped her get close. It appears that one guy decided he was just going to hide and hang out in the field in the tall grass after being let go. We went back for a walk later and the nose went down and she started in on the tall grass it was pretty funny to watch she was so focused. When she got to a couple of feet she paused and picked up one front foot almost like she was pointing (she wasn't really but knew something was there) and she flushed the pigeon out. I think she felt pretty good about herself finding that bird again.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:06 am

:thumbsup:
GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby esiegel91 » Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:07 am

That's a good looking pup

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
esiegel91
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun May 06, 2012 9:02 am

Thanks here are a few pics from our walk a couple of weeks ago I think she was about 12 weeks in these

One of her favorite spots I do not know what she will do when she gets too big LOL

Thanks Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon May 07, 2012 9:16 pm

Well pretty proud of my little black dog today I have been working with her on the sit and stay in position, here and fun retrieves for some time now with a little intro to heeling. I have watched the Hillmann DVD and read the Goodwin book over and over again when looking for something new to start I was at he exact same topic in both the book and DVD. Not planned but I thought to myself why not. It is a sitting drill...sit the pup with leash on walk out 5 feet or so to start and toss a bumper and have them remain sitting. After a couple of days Hillmann moves out distance and walks around and pick up bumpers while having the dog sit, Goodwin also talks about this for a progression to work up to.

Well I have not done this and I know Gauge is bumper crazy but we have been working on sit and stay and wow was I surprised. I did the first 5 feet with a 2 foot toss and she stared it down but didn't move. I thought great she doesn't get it that she is to go get it, called her name and she was off like a rocket. So I moved out to 8 feet and a 2 footer followed by up to 10 foot toss. in 10 mins I was out 20 feet or so tossing 10 footers. She only broke once while I was walking in and out and around I got back out to 10 feet got cocky and turned my back on her LOL. My mistake but I wanted to see what it would take to make her break. We went back and sat down and I walked out keeping and eye on her to correct her and let her get it right.

This is a fun change of pace, easy drill without much space needed. I wonder how long to push the time of the sit with a 14 week old pup? We were up to maybe 2 mins but it seemed like 15 LOL.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Tue May 08, 2012 6:38 am

Ain't it fun! Puppies are great! They're such sponges!

Sometimes in our haste to see just how much they will do, we push the envelope to where they fail. You'll do you and Gauge a favor by not ever allowing her to fail. Take it step by step. That way you won't ever have to re-train something she'd already been doing right.
Since she's sitting (and staying), now is a good time to start increasing the time at sit. A little drill I do is just what you were doing, backing away with her at sit. As you see her getting ready to break, give her the 'tweet-tweet' "here" whistle and call her to you. Praise. Then take her back to the sit place. You'll see that the time increases rather rapidly. Then back up to the corner of the house, disappear for a second then reappear, still commanding "sit". Keep that up. Gradually increase the time out of sight until you can disappear and reappear around the other side of the house and walk all the way back to her with her still sitting. Should be able to do that in a couple of days training.

Looks and sounds like you are doing a great job with Gauge. She's a lucky pup. Keep us informed.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Sun May 27, 2012 10:24 pm

I need to get some updated pics for sure after looking at this thread. Well tonight Gauge got her introduction to gun fire using a 12 gauge with blanks and 209 primers coupled with live pigeons. It sure wasn't long closing the gap on 100 yards that is for sure she was so bird crazy that she never even blinked and near the end we were shooting within 5 yards of her. Looks good to move on to another larger blank now. I was very nervous doing this and was really worried that I would make a mistake but from following everyone's advice and talking to my breeder it went without a hitch.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Mon May 28, 2012 6:38 am

That's great phil. :thumbsup:
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby 940AC » Mon May 28, 2012 8:47 am

:lol:

Love that pic hanging out on the stairs.
940AC
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon May 28, 2012 9:42 am

Here are a few more pics 16 weeks for Gauge and 8 years for my girl, we were running errands and apparently it was sunny out.

Poor Gauge always the brunt of the joke LOL

Just another day at the office

Sorry for the quality they were taken with my phone

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu May 31, 2012 11:02 pm

Well looks as Gauge will be the highlight at my daughters school tomorrow she gets to go for show and tell. I told the teacher to take the kids to the field instead of going to class please all pray for me and for Gauge to focus tomorrow LOL.

Up date coming
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Jun 01, 2012 7:17 pm

Well gauge was a hit today and she did pretty good for all the kids around. Bad news is I didn't get any pics since on the way there I got re ended and couldn't find my cell phone after getting hit (I do have a pic of that) LOL But never the less we made it there a little late but in one piece, my truck not so lucky $2841 in damages to the rear bumper, his truck was worse that is why I drive a full size HD truck.

Mackenna had to tell all about Gauge and where she came from and all her training tools we use. The we did three short back retrieves with Mackenna being the thrower for me. On sit and steady where I walked out to throw and a puppy double as Hillmann calls it. Then we had a quick question and answer time and that was that but finished with pets form some kids and teachers.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Tyshe84 » Sat Jun 02, 2012 1:46 pm

Just got caught up on Gauge...looks like a great pup. Can't wait to get mine.
Tyshe84
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:26 pm

Tyshe I am sure you will have as much fun as I am with Gauge. She got a new bed but got invaded the first night before kennel time.

I am pretty sure that this one is a big ol' smile

She also got a new collar with info tag riveted on....I think she was a little proud LOL

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Tyshe84 » Thu Jun 07, 2012 7:17 am

They know when they are looking good. Anyone who disagrees has never owned a dog.

I need to get my pet one with info riveted in...
Tyshe84
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Jul 02, 2012 5:28 pm

Well it has been a while since there has been any updates on Gauge so here we go.
Teeth...check LOL she just lost her last puppy tooth this weekend someone on another thread said it would be fast and it sure was I guess I missed it when it started happening and only caught the end. She is doing very good and is a retrieving machine when it comes to training she is working well and I really think she knows the difference between work and play time with the ball and kids. Saying that she does play well with the kids and always brings the ball back. Their game is lose the ball in the high grass LOL the kids always lose.

Here is a short video of Gauge at 5 1/2 months working on the sit command.

Thanks
Phil
Last edited by Phild on Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Phild
hunter

Postby Rick Hall » Mon Jul 02, 2012 6:15 pm

Good girl.
If you think I'm wrong, you might be right.
Rick Hall
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Mon Jul 02, 2012 7:36 pm

Good girl Gauge!

:thumbsup:
GMHR-II Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Drake's Bay Super Duty (2004 - 2013)
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:14 pm

Pretty neat! Good looking pup.
Is she 5 1/2 months? Not weeks... like you wrote?
jerdogg
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:44 pm

LOL yeah months I changed it thanks....she would be a big 5 1/2 week pup...40 lbs
Phild
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum