She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: captainkevan, swampbilly 1980, HNTFSH, hunt-chessies

Re: She's Here Dakota Creek's Gauge

Postby jerdogg » Mon Jul 02, 2012 8:49 pm

Lol, I was figuring that but hey, who knows what your feeding her......
Where did you get her from? Sorry if you already posted that.
jerdogg
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Jul 02, 2012 11:00 pm

Gauge came from Dakota Creek Retrievers in Ontario, the owner is on here as Dakota Creek...awesome people and a super pup from day one! Not only is Gauge great in the field training but she is an amazing family dog with absolutely the best temperament you could ask for. She is a real sweetie.

http://www.dakotacreekretrievers.com/looking_for_a_puppy.aspx

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Jul 09, 2012 3:25 pm

This weekend we got to go camping by botha lake an river...for Gauge it was heaven. I am amazed at how strong of a swimmer she is a just under 6 months. The river was flowing very fast to the point that I thought she would be swept away and I was on pins and needles the whole time around the water. My kids never went above their knees. Finally she couldnt take anymore and barreled in I gave her a call to come out so she turns up stream and starts swimming against the current she didn't make anyhead way but it was like she was on a swimming tread mill LOL. I let her go and then helped her in with her check cord still very nerve racking. I was much a much better parrent at the lake and let her swim all over LOL.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Jul 20, 2012 2:25 pm

Well I have been working on heel with Gauge for the past few days and it seems to be coming along good as well I introduced a pile of bumpers for her to work with thinking that she would have trouble but I gave it a shot. Here is a short video of her third time at a bumper pile I think it is out in the 40 to 50 yard range I never really checked. Before I hear it yes yes yes I know I messed up between the 3rd and 4th bumper and didn't pick it up confusing her...again I will admit I am the limitation in her training LOL. But is sure is fun working with her.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby stevietangles » Fri Jul 20, 2012 9:13 pm

hey Phil
you are doing an amazing job with her.
keep up the good work you have a real winner there.
stevietangles
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Jul 20, 2012 11:19 pm

Thanks Stevie how is Brown doing these days?

later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby PADuckhunter » Sat Jul 21, 2012 7:06 am

I have seen Gee the female your dog is out of run many of a NAHRA hunt test and she is a super dog. Your pup I am sure will be a great marking and upland dog too when it gets older. The breeder Chris and Sue are exceptional people and good trainers with their dogs. I almost got a pup from that litter but right now just dont have the time to be working with a new pup at the moment (busy training my two black labs).
PADuckhunter
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Jul 21, 2012 12:41 pm

PA that is great to hear and yes they are great people eh? Sue reviewed the video and told me all my mistakes so I will be sure to correct them. Gauge the pup from Gee is a super dog, great with kids and other dogs, exceptional temperment, eager to please, high drive for retrieving, even higher drive to live birds and easy to work with so smart. The only thing that I wish she had less of is the need for attention LOL man she loves her pets first thing in the morning and if I am gone for a day look out she would go thru a door to get to me. It only last for a few mins so I guess i can live being loved to death that long.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Sat Jul 21, 2012 3:30 pm

Now Phil .... I don't think we said anything about "mistakes" .... I think we said "slow down and take a breath!" LOL!! You're doing great!

:biggrin:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Sat Jul 21, 2012 4:17 pm

You may not have but I know they are mistakes LOL hell I even bet Gauge knows
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:39 pm

Well I must be doing something right, today the baby sitter took the dog as well for the afternoon and she when came and picked her up she leashed her and walked her home. She commented on who nicely and easy she was to walk now, she use to pull before we started heel. She said that when they came to the corner Gauge even sat and wouldn't move LOL, she was saying come on girl, here puppy come on LOL....Gauge only moves on here and heel LOL guess I should have told her that, said she had to pull her to get her to move. I really didn't expect her to sit and stay sitting by herself at a street crossing for someone else.

This is my pat on the back to myself LOL. Gauge is now 6 months and 45lbs.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Aug 02, 2012 8:36 am

Phil, I think you are doing a great job with Gauge! It's refreshing to see a new trainer take a young pup and turn it in to a fine hunting companion the right way. Unfortunately, for every 1 Phil there are 10 others out there who either don't get a program, don't follow a program, or can't comprehend what's written or viewed and turn it into effective training. Keep up your good work!

I watched a few of your videos and if I may offer a suggestion, if you are not already doing it (didn't see it on the videos), I would start using and would have already been using the one blast "sit" whistle each and every time I commanded "sit". Objective being 1) it will be much easier to get her to the remote sit, 2) she will look at you when you are running the "baseball" or T drills, and 3) when you have advanced to handling and blinds it will not be a hard transition to have her stop and immediately, sit and look back for a cast. When starting to work on handling, I always blow an emphatic "sit" whistle (and sometimes say "hey"), even though they are already sitting, when working a "cast over to the pile" or "cast back to the pile". This ingrains a response to look at you, waiting for a cast. It makes it a little easier if you have them sitting at "the mound", to blow the "sit" whistle, toss the bumper to either 1st, 2nd or 3rd, blow the whistle again then cast. This gives them the anticipation of a retrieve coming after they hear the one blast sit. If you are already past this point in time, sorry for the suggestion. If not, you may want to try it. May be a rough spot or two, but now is the time to start working on the remote sit and start weaning off the verbal. She'll always respond to the verbal.

Hope your season up there is as good as the numbers reports. Sept 15th? What kinda shape are the crops in?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Aug 02, 2012 9:12 am

Thanks tenfinger, I never thought of it that way and that far ahead on the remote sit, I will now switch to only a whistle sit, I was doing both for no real reason other than maybe the whistle was not in my mouth or something, lack of knowledge as well. She is pretty good out to about 20 yards on a whistle sit now but only if a bumper is not in play, if there is a bumper she she is nose to the ground hunting it up and I have in the past tried to sit her when she was off but seen that there was no way she would sit if there was a bumper to find. So to help her in cover I walk in the genreal direction and then she got on the path, I have not set myself up to fail and have not tried this again LOL.

Crops are looking good here we have had alot of rain and heat following so things are going good, I hav a line oa a few pea fields for this season but have been thinking on sending Gauge to a pro for three months so she will no see any action this season if she goes and if she stays she will still not see much action other than sitting in a blind while I call and decoy birds.

Thanks for the input it is always appericiated,
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Fri Aug 03, 2012 8:02 pm

Well as you all know Gauge and I have been working on our back cast, she naturally went to her left side so I was working on the right back. Well she was pretty solid on it so we moved on to the left back. Naturally she had no clue what was different but after stopping her and telling her to watch me in a short 15 to 20 min session she was spinning both ways to left and right. It even really looked like she knew what I meant LOL. I was not just giving all one side but mixing them up two right, one left, one right two left, I just wanted to give Gauge a pat on the back and share her progress. Now that she knows something is different it is practice practice practice.

I want to thank Dakota Creek for all her and her husbands help as well for the chat tonight and many other times and all the people from DHC.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:04 am

Well we are back from a week camping at the lake before we left we were working on right and left hand backs. She was pretty good on the land but when she got near water she seemed to be so distracted by it that everything she knew went out the door. It took nearly three days to get her to relax enough by the water in order to do the casts from the bank. So it is back to the field for regular schedule again, I think a couple of days back on land and she will come around.

Just a quick question how do you deal with keeping your dog out of the water while they are near water? We would go to the lake for 3-4 hrs at a time and we would do a few marks then work on some casts then she would play with the kids. After 3 hrs or so I would take her out and all she wanted was back in the water and if she didn't get in all she would do was whine whine whine it was like she was a crack head not getting her fix. If I left her and went in the water with the kids....well it was unglued time she would have a fit.

I am wondering if this will be a problem when she gets older and she starts hunting? She will almost be a year and a half by the time of her first season hunting but if she loves water that much it could be hard keeping her out LOL.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Thu Aug 09, 2012 9:43 am

Phil,
Are you working her in the water at all? Any marks in the water? Any lines into the water (where she didn't see a toss, but you brought her up at heel, sat her, "dead bird", hand down, "Gauge" and she retrieves? And to add on, several bumpers in a line in the water and send her for each one. Lining and/or pile work is a prerequisite for this. Any backs into the water where she sits with back to water while you toss over her head into the water, 1 blast whistle, and "back" with hand straight up? She's of the age now where those are some good drills in prep for the water blinds and handling in the water. I assume she will now sit while you toss bumpers and stay steady? Also, are you changing up her training grounds on a schedule. They can become very accustomed to the same regimen/field then go nuts at a new place. The more different places you can take her, the better.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Aug 21, 2012 9:51 pm

Well quick up date on where we are at in the world of training. Tonight we worked on right and left hand backs again Gauge is getting much better but still if the bumpers are close she will go shopping at least once per pile. Then moved to right and left overs which are also pretty good. I lay out anywhere between 4 and 6 bumpers half on each side 10 or so yards apart out to 30 yards. I heal her to the middle and bring her around with a here. Walk away and face her and then cast either left or right, alternating or some times all three or two I mix it up so I know she is not guessing.

So tonight I decided to work on whistle sits on the way to a short single mark.....what do you know she sat, turned around and looked at me and waited for a back :biggrin: depending on which side the mark was I would cast her left or right. I did let my ego get the best of me and threw well out of check cord range and let her get more than half way, blew the sit and she blew the command....(they need a kicking ass little man). Lesson learned, I just hope I am doing this right.

Oh and I let her run into a flock of about 200 geese that were in our field the other day thinking she would have been intimidated ...guess not LOL I will have to put the video up.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Wed Aug 22, 2012 9:42 am

Sounds like you're well on your way to a good 'un! Don't worry about the shopping the pile, she's still young and will get over it. I usually, with pups that want to shop, as soon as they get a bumper in their mouth give several quick ''call in/here" whistles and verbally give "here/here/here', clapping hands etc. But if you don't want to do that, just bide your time and she'll finally get over the shopping.
Weather should be getting a little more conducive to training up that way now?
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed Aug 22, 2012 11:48 am

Shopping is not a big deal it just bugs me LOL. We are getting lots of heat still in the 30's so 90's I guess not likely hot for you but it is here. I just feel like that I am making one step forward and two steps behind some times, like the stopping her on a whistle sit while running for a mark is wrong....and here I thought I was preping her for the single T drill. There is no one to train with, major help comes from my breeder :thumbsup: Dakota Creek and all you guys on here but I am working with my limitations.

I have a pro trainer lined up that is willing to take her for 3 months but due to distance and work and going away I will only be able to go visit on the third month when I pick her up. I was hoping for once a month but looks like it will not work that way if she goes and then the seperation issues for the kids (lol...just them really).

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Aug 30, 2012 3:08 pm

7 months in two days, 46.8lbs we were out working on a 4 spoke wagon wheel (her here is coming along good she is turning with me to the right and continuing to sit without the check cord or second whistle), and a back pile out to 50 yards.

Waiting for me to have a drink of coffee LOL

This was our photo op but someone wanted to give kisses instead

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby EnzosMom » Thu Aug 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Love that last pic! She is gorgeous!
EnzosMom
hunter

Postby Dakota Creek » Thu Aug 30, 2012 6:50 pm

Phild wrote:This was our photo op but someone wanted to give kisses instead

Later
Phil

Kisses just like her sister!! :biggrin:
GMHR-III Dakota Creek's Royal Navigator MH (AKC & CKC)
MHR Pine Acre's Dakota Sand Creek SH WCI
Dakota Creek's Royal Gem
Dakota Creek's Long Shot
Dakota Creek's Wreaking Havoc
Dakota Creek
hunter

Postby Phild » Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 pm

EnzosMom wrote:Love that last pic! She is gorgeous!

Thanks...you are right :biggrin: not bias or nothing but we love her.

Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 31, 2012 8:46 am

Phil,
You are now what is called, "hooked for life"!

By the way, she really is a nice looking lab. Check the contrast between your first post pictures and these past ones. Sure grow up fast, don't they!
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Sep 17, 2012 8:08 pm

Well I just had my second talk with the trainer last night and he said that everything was going fine, Gauge has now become accustom to the time change and is on track with all the other dogs for airing and feedings.

Funny thing was he asked me if she was exposed to live birds and I said yes..kinda like I was being questioned LOL turns out that Gauge does not have a taste for get this DUCKS :huh: I know they are new to her but he said that she really was not crazy over them, she did return one to him but only by the wing like it had the plague of something LOL. He said not to worry it is just a new taste, smell and feel for her.

He also said that he was really suprized at how stron willed she is for a small female, when she gets somthing into her head that she is not going ot do it he said she can take a lot of pressure. I do not know if this is a good thing of not but he said he sees this occasionally as well and is nothing to be concerned about. I guess this could be a good thing when she gets it inot her head that she is going to get a cripple ....have to stay positive here.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum