V Boards/Y Boards in Rough Water?

A place to learn from others, share information and gain knowledge on duck hunting in Maryland, of the fabled Chesapeake bay.

Moderator: Cupped-n-Committed

V Boards/Y Boards in Rough Water?

Postby Michigan Sniper » Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:14 pm

I am from Michigan and don't know anyone who uses boards, but I was thinking about making some for scoters and oldsquaws. I was wondering how the V or Y boards handle rough-ish water (2-3 footers) and how much weight it takes to anchor a line of them compared to a mother line of 'regular' decoys. Any help is appreciated!
How many bluebills, cans, redheads, pintails, and black ducks can they shoot in Canada (and Mexico)?
Michigan Sniper

Re: V Boards/Y Boards in Rough Water?

Postby trophy7814 » Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:20 am

I use y boards in the bay and have yet to see one flip.You will be fine in anything huntable.The arms on my ys are a little longer than 2.5ft long(8ft cut into thirds),not sure how anything shorter would ride.I use window sash weights,not sure how much they way.Hope this helps

Re: V Boards/Y Boards in Rough Water?

Postby bunker215 » Wed May 23, 2012 2:11 pm

I hunt goose v-boards on the bay. arms are 30". never had a problem with them in chop. in fact, the only time i have any problem is when it's still out and they want to collapse if the hinges get a little loose. weights are 2-2.5lb. mufffins. i imagine you could get by with a little less weight for smaller silos.

Return to Maryland Duck Hunting