Duck Hunting Forum banner

New shotgun

2K views 20 replies 15 participants last post by  youngster57 
#1 ·
Im looking to get a shotgun. I was looking at the 835 Mossberg. How much does one cost and are they reliable. Also what are someother shotguns under $400

#2 ·
If you want a gun that will last, that can be droped in the slew, dragged through mud and dirt. And still shoot ducks after all that. Go with the remington 870. I have been shooting mine for years, and it was passed down to me from my dad, who shot it for many years before me. :hammering:

#4 ·
i got my benelli nova in max-4 for right around $400, and i love the thing... if you want to buy an 870 express go to a pawn shop and buy a used one... the new ones have a tendancy to rust bad, and mine went back to the company 5 times before they would give me a refund... however everyone i know with an older one love them...

#5 ·
jj, I had never heard that before, thanks for the tip, I was thinking of upgrading to a new one that could shoot 3 1/2 inch shells. like the supermag, or wingmaster supermag.

#8 ·
BurnZ said:
If you want a gun that will last, that can be droped in the slew, dragged through mud and dirt. And still shoot ducks after all that. Go with the remington 870. I have been shooting mine for years, and it was passed down to me from my dad, who shot it for many years before me. :hammering:
:withstupid:

Mines not new and its a great gun, probably 3 years old.

#10 ·
I have had the 835 and 500. Both good guns. No problems. I think a Nova would be fine. I don't have one but I do have Benelli guns and never an issues. I have four 870's and they are my personal favorite for a low dollar pump. The old wingmasters (I have two) can't be touched for quality and dependability. That's why the are the most sold and famous pump of all time. Sorry but Mos. will never get there. I have a 870 SPS that has been a flawless duck gun. The SPS more refined and fit with the better internally finished parts like the wingmaster. It also has all the extras like the wingmaster. I have found the SPS to also have a better finish than the standard express. I hunt with it in the snow and rain all the time and I do nothing but a light wipe down with no rust problems. I also have an express super mag camo. It's a great gun. So far no problems. I don't like the express in general. Many look like they are rusting on the rack, but not all. Many feel like they have had the action half fit and the trigger are no so good, but if you look at a bunch you can find some good ones. Mine feels as good as my SPS in the trigger and action. The new camo dipped express guns don't seam to have any rust issues like the standard wood stock express. I would recommend the SPS first and if you need to really get down in price get a camo express and spend some time looking at several to find a nice smooth one.

#12 ·
I would stay away from the new 870 Express'. The quality of the firearm has slackened in recent years. THe wingmaster's are still high quality guns though.

#15 ·
My most recent 870 I got about a week ago. Mossy Oak camo supermag $279.00 at Wal-mart. Even had sling studs. I found one that has a very smooth action with a good trigger. I shot 4-boxes of shells today and it functioned great. I will throw a 1000 through it this summer to break it in good. The camo finish is very good quality and should prevent the rust problems the express can have. Under $300.00 for a camo dipped 3 1/2" Remington is hard to pass up if you can find one with a reasonably smooth action.

Gun fit is the most important. Go to the gun stores often over many trips and handle all the guns in your price range and maybe a few just above. After many different days of handling them all you should find one that stands out and after a while it is the only one that consistently feels the best. Buy that one. All the reasonable priced pumps from Win., Mos, Rem, and Benelli are good guns for what you pay. If you find that one of the guns that's a couple hundred more is your dream gun then save a little more and get that one, or find one like it used.

#16 ·
You can't go wrong with a Mossberg 835. I have been abusing mine for over 12 years now. They strip down easily and can take the abuse. A few of my friends bought them after they saw mine. All of us are happy with them. I never hesitate to throw mine in the bottom of the boat while everyone else is worried about theirs and how to protect it. I hunt on the ocean too and it performs fine out there as well.

#17 ·
i had a very old moss. 500a and it worked great but i wanted to upgrade and got a moss. 835 in max-4 with s;ing mounts, tru glo, and a ported barrel for 250 bucks. so far so good, but that old 500 is a heck of a gun.

#18 ·
I would go with the Mossberg 835 before a 870. My buddy's 870 is always having problems. 3.5" shells hang up in it really bad. If you want a serious waterfowl gun, you might want to look into a Baikal MP 153. It is a 3.5" semi-auto that I can't get to jam. Cabelas has them right now for $279.00 and that price includes 4 chokes. Remington now markets them under the name Spartan, and backs them with their garauntee. Do a search for "spartan" or "Baikal mp 153".

#21 ·
i own a Nova ducks unlimited edition and it has never had one problem and i have abused it. I drag it through rocks and dropped it in the lake when hunting last season pulled it out and fired not a problem it will always be my work horse but the 835 is an excellent gun i thought about getting one myself but i just love my nova and cant get rid of it.

Whatever you get its all about the fit and if its comfortable.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.