Homemade Dog Equipment

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: Homemade Dog Equipment

Postby tenfingergrip » Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:58 am

This was a fun project back in '05 about the time dog blinds were starting out. Had some bulk cordura and some 1/4 inch fiberglass rods and lots of velcro. Got a buddy in the upholstery business to sew the slots to slide the rods thru. Hence, the "Doggy Dome". Unfortunately had to buy the elastic to attach the raffia grass. The raffia came from some hula skirts.

Full array of pictures on construction
http://s766.photobucket.com/user/tenfingergrip/library/Doggy%20Dome

The rods come out of the bottom and you can roll up the top. The bottom has a rope handle to carry, so its very portable.

Last edited by tenfingergrip on Fri Nov 29, 2013 6:21 am, edited 10 times in total.
tenfingergrip
hunter

Postby Indaswamp » Fri Aug 10, 2012 12:00 pm

tenfingergrip wrote:This was a fun project back in '05 about the time dog blinds were starting out. Had some bulk cordura and some 1/4 inch fiberglass rods and lots of velcro. Got a buddy in the upholstery business to sew the slots to slide the rods thru. Hence, the "Doggy Dome". Unfortunately had to buy the elastic to attach the raffia grass. The raffia came from some hula skirts.

pics???
The Cajun 7 Course Meal; 1 lb. of boudin and a six pack of Abita beer.

Save the Marsh, Eat a Nutria!

Indaswamp
Forum Moderator

Postby Joel » Thu Aug 16, 2012 7:44 am

Any one know how too use walkie talkies
To launch a winger?
make sure you scrach my Cooder, tickle my Cricket and feed Jake <thats my pups>
Joel
hunter

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Thu Oct 04, 2012 8:03 pm

cwilson...

Do you have any kind of drawings/plans/parts list for your wingers? If so, would you mind sharing?

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
hunter

Postby cwilson » Thu Oct 04, 2012 11:21 pm

SwitchGrassWPG wrote:cwilson...

Do you have any kind of drawings/plans/parts list for your wingers? If so, would you mind sharing?

Jay

I don't, but I will work on some blueprints for you.
cwilson
hunter

Postby SwitchGrassWPG » Fri Oct 05, 2012 5:42 am

I don't, but I will work on some blueprints for you.

Awesome. Thanks.

Jay
The only thing worse than a bad dog is no dog at all...
SwitchGrassWPG
hunter

Postby cwilson » Fri Oct 05, 2012 11:52 am

Here are the instructions for how I made my launchers. I have a bunch of pics but didn’t want to load up the thread. You can pm me if you want pics. The latch was kind of tricky and will be hard for me to describe how to do it. My dad found the actuator on amazon for around $4, but after that we just had to play with it to make it right as far as how to mount it and make the trigger and how to secure it all. I also cut the bottoms of my legs off at an angle so they can be pushed into the ground for stability. Good luck. I’m here if you have questions.
Regular Bolts
1 ½” X 4
3” X 2
I Bolts
2 with 3” of threads
2 with 1 ½” of threads
2 wing nuts
4 regular nuts
8 lock nuts
2 spacers about ½”wide
2 hooks to hold rubbers (mounted to your preference, I went a little over 2” up from my rear cross brace)
Hammock is 14”x14”
3/8” pulleys X 4
1 ½” bolt and lock nut (a couple washers) and weld a big ring on bolt head
Latex Rubber tubing 3/8” OD 1/8” walls
4 metal rings
You will also need 2 leg support cross bars. The front I measured the OD and used ID for the back/latch mechanism. I recommend NOT cutting these until you have the rest of the frame put together so you are sure they are the right size. Also if you measure/cut these brace pieces with real close clearances your launcher will not open/close freely. I recommend giving yourself just a little “slop” room so they fold up easier. I didn’t do this on my 1st 1 and it is harder to open/close. The front brace should be about 23 3/8” and the back 19 3/8”.

cwilson
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Wed Nov 07, 2012 4:23 pm

ndk3819 wrote:Haven't had a chance to work on it, easy way to do it would be to use the receivers from the earlier postings, I'm looking into converting a remote door bell. I'll post it when I get done if its succesful

That doorbell work out?
No such thing as a stupid question, only stupid people
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby BigMuddy » Wed Nov 28, 2012 9:33 pm

I made a dog box out of honeycomb aluminum airline storage locker . Its not the greatest looking box but its way lighter then those Diamond cut boxes , pretty tough and insulates pretty well . I'll post up some pics when I get some new batteries for the camera . Doubt you'll be able to copy it unless you or a nieghbor works for TWA or some airline like mine did, but it is ONE of a kind as far as I know !
BigMuddy
hunter

Postby OmegaRed » Thu Jan 24, 2013 7:30 am

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index ... ic=81685.0
Here are some plans I found on the bird launcher.

The following are the most descriptive and "commercial" I've seen. It converts a commercial manual launcher to an electronic type for about $75. If you had 2 way radios you could deduct $25 with that.

http://gundogforum.com/resources/Remote ... rPlans.pdf
If you can dream---and not make dreams your master;
If you can think---and not make thoughts your aim,
If you can meet with Triumph and Disaster
And treat those two impostors just the same.
-RK
OmegaRed
Fabio

Postby t_baker » Fri Feb 22, 2013 10:39 am

OmegaRed wrote:http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?topic=81685.0
Here are some plans I found on the bird launcher.

The following are the most descriptive and "commercial" I've seen. It converts a commercial manual launcher to an electronic type for about $75. If you had 2 way radios you could deduct $25 with that.

http://gundogforum.com/resources/Remote ... rPlans.pdf

Correctly placed this will also work on the homemade winger correct? Seems simple and effective enough.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Bartnmax » Mon Mar 04, 2013 4:34 am

There's been so much good stuff available lately that I don't mind paying nthe extra price for good gear to train my dogsw with.
If it works then I couldn't give a damn what it costs - I'll get it.
Items like the Bumperboy 2 shooter & DT Systems pigeon launcher.
Yeah they cost but they are top flight training gear.
So, 'bout the only thing I make myself these days are throwin' dummys (you fellas call em 'bumpers').
These I make from a 14-16 ich length of fire hose (canvas outer with rubber inner lining).
I sew up one end, stuff 3 tennis balls inside, then sew up t'other end, adding a brass eyelet & throwing cord.
I reckon these are great as they float well in water, bounce well when thrown on land (assisting marking practice with young dogs) & if storred in a bag with a few bird wings, the canvas takes on the bird scent (again helps young dogs develop their hunting/scenting). Lastly, the shape of the 3 tennis balls together encourages the dog to pick up & carry the dummy properly (mid way -on the middle tennis ball). This makes a big difference to young dogs & discourages them from grabbing & carrying dummys (bumpers) end on. They sounds pretty simple, but they are without doubt the absolute best dummys (bumpers) I've ever used with young (& older) dogs.
Bartnmax
hunter

Postby t_baker » Mon Mar 04, 2013 2:29 pm

I like that idea. We have hose testing this month and always end up throwing out some old hose. I assume your using 2 1/2? I may try to make a few out of some 13/4 and see what I can get inside them.
t_baker
hunter

Postby Bartnmax » Thu Mar 07, 2013 10:23 pm

t_baker wrote:I like that idea. We have hose testing this month and always end up throwing out some old hose. I assume your using 2 1/2? I may try to make a few out of some 13/4 and see what I can get inside them.

Yeah I generally use the 2 1/2 with the tennis balls.
Have also used 1 3/4 for younger dogs with rubber balls inside made from compression foam.
I've been thinking about giving sand bags inside the hose a try also to simulate a dead hare - just haven't got round to tryin that one yet.
Bartnmax
hunter

Postby roadbildr » Sun Apr 07, 2013 12:14 pm

Has anyone ever tried a remote car door lock actuator and using that for remote bumper release?

the only concern I have is if it has enough stroke...I found some new on Amazon for $35 / each (includes 4 actuators) but only one controller

might be worth a trip to the junk yard to see what options there are
roadbildr
hunter

Postby cwilson » Sun Apr 07, 2013 10:47 pm

roadbildr wrote:Has anyone ever tried a remote car door lock actuator and using that for remote bumper release?

the only concern I have is if it has enough stroke...I found some new on Amazon for $35 / each (includes 4 actuators) but only one controller

might be worth a trip to the junk yard to see what options there are

This is what I used for mine, and then just put whatever plug on the end you need.

http://www.amazon.com/Absolute-DLA110-U ... s=actuator
cwilson
hunter

Postby Phild » Mon Apr 22, 2013 9:52 pm

tenfinger I come in and you beat me to it already lol I just seen you dog blind very nice here is mine I just did tonight over a few cold beers and finally some + temps and sun

I use a full length of 3/4 pex pipe
8 x 3/4 T's
4 x 3/4 90's
4 x 3 footers
some old snow fence
some old blind material
and good old fashioned zip ties.

To make..............this lol

giving moral support

I think she digs it, said kennel once and she was in like white on rice

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby AveryB » Tue Jun 11, 2013 8:15 pm

I made some bumper holders for Averys kennel, but posted it on the DIY forum, heres a link:

viewtopic.php?f=111&t=231331
AveryB
hunter

Postby bushmaster380 » Thu Oct 31, 2013 1:33 pm

ndk3819 wrote:Here's a pic of my home made dummies for the launchers.

The image is no longer available. I am planing to build one. Could you re-post, please?
bushmaster380
hunter

Postby uppower » Wed Nov 06, 2013 6:57 pm

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1383785795.210626.jpg
My Boykins heated dog blind. Two stories with slated floor separating levels. Just put a small propane heater in bottom level. Keeps him toasty in between retrieves.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
uppower
hunter

Homemade Dog Equipment

Postby Minneguy » Wed Nov 27, 2013 5:38 pm

uppower wrote:
My Boykins heated dog blind. Two stories with slated floor separating levels. Just put a small propane heater in bottom level. Keeps him toasty in between retrieves.

Best idea I have literally ever seen
Do you mind if I still that idea? I'm looking at getting a drahthaar and am worried about keeping him or her warm after cold water retrieves

Minneguy
hunter

Postby MarlinMark » Thu Dec 12, 2013 6:05 pm

Clever indeed. Well done Sir

Mark
MarlinMark
hunter

Postby uppower » Thu Jan 09, 2014 7:23 pm

Minneguy wrote:
uppower wrote:

Best idea I have literally ever seen
Do you mind if I still that idea? I'm looking at getting a drahthaar and am worried about keeping him or her warm after cold water retrieves

Hey,
Sorry I didn't respond I haven't been on this site a lot. It worked really well and get him up high enough to see bird hit the water. Make sure it's a small heater and you really test it to make sure you don't burn your hunting partner!

uppower
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sun Feb 09, 2014 8:08 am

Built a PVC winger. Waiting on the ZW pouch and tubing kit to show up. Also went ahead and ordered DogTra electronics so when I upgrade to commercial wingers it'll be an easy switch. I planned to make two PVC wingers but only one for now to see how it performs. If I like it I'll make another if not I may try the steel tubing one that was shown a page or so back. Will post pictures once I get the pouch and rubbers attached and electronics
cn44
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed Feb 19, 2014 9:24 am

Here's the PVC winger I built. I used DogTra electronics wired to a car door lock actuator to trigger an archery release.

The dimensions off the top of my head are:
Top square 18x18
Front legs: 37 inches (two sections cut at 18 then split by a T connector)
Back legs: 34 inches
Support leg: 25 inches
The base is made up of a 12 3/4 inch long middle section then 2.5 inch sections going from the T fitting to the 90 degree fitting.

cn44
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum