Old Hickory Unit 1

Talk about Tennessee duck hunting if you enjoy the outdoors.

Moderators: Preacher1011, duckbumm, duck slayR, Itchy Coyote

Old Hickory Unit 1

Postby tcw » Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:16 pm

My buddy and I was gonna go and try to get a blind at this yrs drawing have hunted one time down there in blind 71 and don't really know much about any blind if anyone has info on what blinds are good and which are a waste of timethanks for any info
DuckSmackersInc
tcw
hunter

Re: Old Hickory Unit 1

Postby possumfoot » Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:49 am

all of em are a waste of time and none of em are a waste of time.. just depends on what you think your time is worth...

very few ducks.. even fewer good public places... people in the know actally put in the time for the info they have.. you should try it..
WTN10 wrote:He was funny like a Pomeranian getting kicked over a fence.

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby tcw » Mon Apr 16, 2012 10:13 pm

Possum foot your advice sucks seems like its to much for a young guy to ask a question that you can't answer with out a smart remark are you afraid someone will kill one more duck than you I'm young don't have a ton a money its all I can do to go on a weekend all I was asking.g for is advice on a decent blind that I could kill a few ducks in I don't want to get a blind.d where you hunt all season and never shoot a. It'd and waste what little money I have on gas if they was something I knew about I would try to go out of my way to help you in some way but your the type that talks crap until they need something
DuckSmackersInc
tcw
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Mon Apr 16, 2012 11:17 pm

young would be the key... you just dont get it.. yet.

there are VERY FEW DUCKS IN E. TN. there are even fewer decent places to shoot ducks... if you duck hunt in e.tn and dont put in ALOT of time, you very well may go all year without killing much... it's just the reallity of the area...

if you do not do your scouting and put the time in, your chances of even havign a single decent hunt are not very good..

the very best advise i could give you for east tn, is to give up the notion of hunting ducks and not spending a ton of time/gas. the goose hunting may be a better fit for ya..

pgquackstacker wrote:I actually started bringing a gun with me on dates, so I bring the girl's father out to my car and tell him if he tries to cock-block me I'll kill him.
possumfoot
hunter

Postby tcw » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:26 am

I understand I don't know everything that's why I'm here asking for advice I'm not trying to kill a 5 man limit every day last season I spent more time scouting than I did hunting and got to shoot at ducks just wanting to know if they is any places where I can improve my odds
DuckSmackersInc
tcw
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:51 am

not really... if you got to shoot a few, then you did pretty good.. last year saw even fewer birds than normal, but even on a good year, shooting a limit is a pretty rare thing..

if you could kill a 5 man limit over there, you would be a duck God.. now a 5 man goose limit is doable..

there are just so few places that a duck can be shot that anywhere people have shot birds in the past is their honey hole..
it's a bit of a different story over where i live.. we have plent of ducks, but no canadas.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby tcw » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:08 am

I live in cookeville but work in Chattanooga alot and see ducks flying all the time is why I war asking about there
DuckSmackersInc
tcw
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:36 pm

local birds.. they know the game..

mid and east tn are just in a dead zone when it comes to the flyways...

possumfoot
hunter

Postby tcw » Wed Apr 18, 2012 7:35 pm

Yea but I'm happy if i get to go hunting and just see 4 or 5
DuckSmackersInc
tcw
hunter

Postby relocatedduckman » Fri Apr 20, 2012 5:10 pm

Possum.. Lay off the greenhorn.. He's just being like all the other new folks to the sport.,. He's trying to learn.. You stay to NW tennessee and let the 5 bird year middle TN people help them shoot a few birds .. Not everyone is a duck hunting guide with one of the best reputations at reelfoot and knows how to slaughter some ducks!!! :yes:

Anyways.. Unit 1 is good on days.. but has fallen off the flyway over the last 3 years.. I'll try to answer some questions, cause just like you.. I tried to get info from TN folks.. and they take their hunting SERIOUS!! SO.. I'll help ya out how I can..

Possum... Give the newbie a discounted hunt in your #1 reelfoot blind.. Then he won't want to hunt Middle TN. :)
relocatedduckman
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:01 pm

i may do that. if there is any intrest.. have a discounted DHC hunt.. like i did on tnducks last year.

possumfoot
hunter

Postby possumfoot » Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:04 pm

relocatedduckman wrote:

Possum... Give the newbie a discounted hunt in your #1 reelfoot blind.. Then he won't want to hunt Middle TN. :)

thats why i say hunting the canadas is soemthing he really may want to look into.. because if ya do it right, it can be some of the best goose hunting in the south

possumfoot
hunter

Postby PiKappCutter » Wed Jul 25, 2012 4:48 pm

TCW Old Hickory can be slam bang sometimes absolutely dead others. Percy Priest is also decent but Middle TN is like a game of Roulette most of the time. Goose hunting however can be ridiculously good in my experience, and to be honest cookeville isnt a bad spot for it. My buddy lives up there and his dad wiped the floor with ducks and especially geese all last season. Up there your just mainly gonna have to drive and glass ponds, which sucks cuz thats what I do most of the time. Most farmers up their are pretty friendly, especially if you offer to help them some.
PiKappCutter
hunter

Return to Tennessee Duck Hunting