What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: hunt-chessies, HNTFSH, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Postby Phild » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:40 pm

Well I just thought this might be a bit amusing as well as informative. Gauge and I didn't do much we just had 6 inches of fresh snow over the last 24hrs. We did work on potty in the snow...that was new as well as a little "snowball retrieving."
http://youtu.be/wVIj7ed3-BU

Later Phil
Phild
hunter

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby SALLY » Sun Apr 15, 2012 10:39 am

SALLY
hunter

Postby bigjoe7585 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:18 pm

HRC Hunt Test
bigjoe7585
hunter

Postby Finhunter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 4:38 pm

Pull casts and hunt drills
Finhunter
hunter

Postby gooseman07 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 5:10 pm

We did a little water retrieving trying to build up that cardio in the water. It was 85 degrees here today!
gooseman07
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:05 pm

we worked on sit for a little bit and also walking on a leash, and we are doing a few simple fun retrieves in the front yard. we did good on the leash and also the simple retieves but we are having a little harder time with sit but we are getting there and i cant complain for an almost 8 week old lab that is SUPER A.D.D.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:53 pm

Client dog #1 Desiel, Great Dane...working on general OB, emphsizeing Heeling with "0" pulling (dog belongs to older woman)
Client dog #2 Koda, Chlt. Lab....Formal OB, with some early marking drills.
Client dog #3 Maggie, BLab.... FF
Client dog #4 Toby, B Lab.....Force to pile, Ladder drills
My own dogs:
Gunner SH, BLab.....Triples, Blinds, and polishing walk ups, preparing for Master HT
Woody JH, BLab.....Doubles, Steadiness, Blinds , introducing walk ups for SR Tests
Dawn, BLab.....Marking, Delivery to hand (might try a JH Test if she does not come into heat)
Timber, BLab (puppy) no biting, no chewing, no pee/poop in the house, no barking, no whinning, other than that............... exploring, intro to gunfire, birds, playing along the waters edge (a little cold still) chaseing fallen leaves, taking naps on the front seat of the truck, play retrieves, walking on leash, learning to Sit and wait for meals, learning her name and to come when called , etc. etc. most importantly learning that "dad" is the greatest thing going!!!!!!
Oh yeah, Tucker YLb (the goofball) trying to still teach him not to clear the coffee table with his Tail of steel! :lol3:
All in all not too bad, still have 2 empty runs to fill, We'll do it all again tommorrow. :thumbsup:
"Keep your eye's on the horizion"
from my Dad on my first duck hunt!
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Finhunter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:25 pm

Went back out this afternoon and worked on ob sitting on the whistle and loading in the truck from a distance.
Finhunter
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:29 pm

Baseball (with dog).
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Finhunter » Sun Apr 15, 2012 8:36 pm

aunt betty wrote:Baseball (with dog).

Totally off topic but someone should rename walking baseball being that it has absolutely nothing to do with baseball. :biggrin: carry on.
Finhunter
hunter

Postby dwhipper61 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 9:56 am

Force Fetch. Transitioning off the table onto the ground.
dwhipper61
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Mon Apr 16, 2012 7:55 pm

well today belle and i started on day one of the hillman dvd she is a little young 8 weeks tomorrow but with a few treats she has started to learn sit (stayed seated for around 5 sec) and did a little work on the leash since she already has a good idea about how to walk on a leash but not with the choker chain. then we mixed in some short retieves.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:59 am

Go easy bronco, The Hillmann DVD is good but it is with an older pup (11-12 week old at the start) and it IS NOT a day by day training schedule. The Hillmanns have sent out statements clarifying that it is a record of successive SESSIONS not, sugcessive days. Plus I would say that the pup in the video is an exceptional pup and not the norm, so do not get upset if your pup doesn't follow exactlly like the video. Use it as a guide and train at YOUR pups pace. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:
labtrainer
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 7:07 am

labtrainer wrote:Go easy bronco, The Hillmann DVD is good but it is with an older pup (11-12 week old at the start) and it IS NOT a day by day training schedule. The Hillmanns have sent out statements clarifying that it is a record of successive SESSIONS not, sugcessive days. Plus I would say that the pup in the video is an exceptional pup and not the norm, so do not get upset if your pup doesn't follow exactlly like the video. Use it as a guide and train at YOUR pups pace. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

Exactly that video is done over I think Dec 30 to March 15 I forget the year off hand maybe 2009?? But it is 43 or 48 days, Nick the pup is almost 12 weeks old. As well as Labtrainer stated sessions were not done every day but two or three times a week. The length in mins is something I have not found out yet.

I plan on doing this with my pup as well but I am going to take it slow and have planned out 83 days, one day for some of the sessions and 2 for others just to be realistic. The fact is my girl is most likely already at session 3 or 4 maybe higher ...well I am sure higher but I have not formal experience so I can not say that 100%. I do plan on going back to the start just to make sure that she has it down though if this does not bore her.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:16 am

labtrainer wrote:Go easy bronco, The Hillmann DVD is good but it is with an older pup (11-12 week old at the start) and it IS NOT a day by day training schedule. The Hillmanns have sent out statements clarifying that it is a record of successive SESSIONS not, sugcessive days. Plus I would say that the pup in the video is an exceptional pup and not the norm, so do not get upset if your pup doesn't follow exactlly like the video. Use it as a guide and train at YOUR pups pace. Good luck and keep us posted. :thumbsup:

I understand that she will not follow the video to the T and i have heard and read that the "days" are not really days but really i am trying to find something that will help her channel some of her energy into something else and not chewing on people and furniture. Thanks for the advice and also the reminder cause i will need it every once and a while
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:23 am

I understand that she will not follow the video to the T and i have heard and read that the "days" are not really days but really i am trying to find something that will help her channel some of her energy into something else and not chewing on people and furniture. Thanks for the advice and also the reminder cause i will need it every once and a while

With my girl at 9 weeks I used the 1 finger tap on the nose with the word "no" followed by imeadiatly giving her the kong or nylabone to chew on. After about 4 or 5 days she has gotten 95% better.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby aunt betty » Tue Apr 17, 2012 10:31 am

I worked on multiples, cigaring, and just had fun.

Trying to get Milo to line a little better but he won't take a straight line because he works the wind. He'll wander down-wind of the line so he can "scent" the dummy.

I'll work on filming him this afternoon and post up a little bit of footage. I work him at least once a day for maybe 5-10 retrieves and then put him up. He is always wanting MORE.

When I put up the film, try not to shred us up too much...please?
I guess constructive criticism would be ok. I'll try and get thicker skin (for the dog's sake).
INTERNET CREDIBILITY is...an OXYMORON. :moon:
aunt betty
memberhip was not approved

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 am

I started workign whistle sits and here commands, we have gone out 3 times and have not done an overly amount of these. This morning I noticed that Gauge was cheating the whistle LOL by that I mean A) she would never wander too far off to be called back B) when she seen me put the whistle in my mouth she would come running before I called here and blew the whistle.

Should I just allow this and call the here and whistle? I have stopped having a treat for her and she was still eager but sure had a sour look when there was nothing but the pat on the head and good girl.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:41 am

Phild wrote:I started workign whistle sits and here commands, we have gone out 3 times and have not done an overly amount of these. This morning I noticed that Gauge was cheating the whistle LOL by that I mean A) she would never wander too far off to be called back B) when she seen me put the whistle in my mouth she would come running before I called here and blew the whistle.

Should I just allow this and call the here and whistle? I have stopped having a treat for her and she was still eager but sure had a sour look when there was nothing but the pat on the head and good girl.

Thanks
Phil

Just IMO - she's too young to distinguish. That's why you should not overwhelm by doing both in one session or even on the same day. Anticipation can be association, it can also be confusion.

I would do recall only for awhile. Teach that. It ain't like you're going to be 'handling' from a whistle sit anytime real soon, right?
Cabela's Worlds FARCEMOST Outfitter
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:58 am

Ahh I thought you meant both retrieving and whistle at the same time not sit and here....oops

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:04 pm

Phild wrote:Ahh I thought you meant both retrieving and whistle at the same time not sit and here....oops

Thanks
Phil

Well...I did mean sit and here yes.

But the recall whistle on the return from a retrieve should only be an association to Here. That said, you don't want to solely associate recall with retrieve. You want to associate recall with HERE.

If you do...then it won't matter if it's a retrieve, dinner time, or get the hell-outta-the-street...Here means Here. That's what you're after.

When it comes time to correct HERE...you won't be doing it on a retrieve.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Phild » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:35 pm

Okay then I am fine I was not retrieving when doing this practice. Just letting her explore and get away form me then calling "here" whistle, whistle, two pats on the leg. I call here with the whistle in my mouth so there is little delay on the "here" (thats the pyhs ed teacher coming out in me being able to talk with a whistle in my mouth) and if she was looking as soon as I would put the whistle in she would come running is all.

Thanks
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby HNTFSH » Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:37 pm

Cool! :thumbsup: It's easy to assume the default setting of seeing people doing too much, all together, too young. So clarified.
HNTFSH
Mr. Plond

Postby Hunter06FLKY » Tue Apr 17, 2012 5:36 pm

I worked on force fetching when I came home at lunch. Then took her to the lake for some water work and such. It was a bit too warm for much else.
Hunter06FLKY
hunter

Postby labtrainer » Tue Apr 17, 2012 6:36 pm

Took each pup (seperatly) for a long walk in a local swamp, just let them explore, watch the geese, chase the leaves, etc.
Did a few recalls (Here) when they got out too far, a few Sits while they were on leash and a few retrieves "in the rough" along the pathway.
Hope I tired them enough to sleep through the night!
labtrainer
hunter

Next

Return to Hunting Dog Forum