What did you and your pup work on today?

Share hunting dog tips, hunting dog training questions or links of interest here.

Moderators: HNTFSH, hunt-chessies, captainkevan, swampbilly 1980

Re: What did you and your pup work on today?

Postby rivercountry » Sat Apr 27, 2013 2:18 pm

Me and Gunner worked on water marks this morning and being steady until released. He had a few hours just hanging out in the house and then back to the kennel. We went back out in the afternoon for lands marks at about 100 yards. He is doing great with being steady and always returns the heel and sits to deliver to hand. We were running marks out to about 150 yards but, with spring here the cover in my fields has gotten so high that I had to pull him back in a little. Pile work and single T has been going good as well. Still hoping to be able to run a season test in the fall.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby Dog Tired » Sat Apr 27, 2013 6:15 pm

As behind the curve as I feel, Leroy and I walked around a big series of baseball fields watching the games and general commotion to help with what I perceive to be a lack if socialization. For reasons I can't understand, he's not a fan of people not in the immediate family so we try to get out and get face time with very random folks. Afterward, we hit the local park pond and he loved jumping into the water for the first time at nearly a year old. I held off on the cold water through the season and that seems to have been an ok call since he was happy to head out 25-35 yards after his bumper with no issue. We kept it shirt to 20 minutes or so because the water aspect was so new but he chose to finish on a high note with the longest water retrieve he's ever been on and wantin more. Big day for him and big confidence for both of us going into the summer where he should get the FF and be ready by the fall.
Dog Tired
hunter

Postby jerdogg » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:42 pm

Well, its not baseball, or simple T's. But non the less, made me pretty happy. Storm actually swam for the first time... 7months old, but with winter just leaving three weeks ago, and the only day where the water wasn't freezing he got in and did it :clapping:
First he went under, but when he figured it , he looked like a natural!!
jerdogg
hunter

Postby FowlPwrcat » Sun Apr 28, 2013 8:55 pm

Thor received his SH Title today. I about passed out...
Retrieves for 2011-12 Season: 57
Retrieves for 2012-13 Season: 67
Retrieves for 2013-14 Season: 171
FowlPwrcat
hunter

Postby Moultrie » Mon Apr 29, 2013 4:24 am

Congrats fowl. We worked on more water marks. Got out in the canoe and started retrieves exiting the boat. Was definitely a struggle. Gotta figure out a way to get her to jump out not fall out and not act so scared but overall pleased.
Moultrie
hunter

Postby cn44 » Mon Apr 29, 2013 8:44 pm

Did some fun retrieves on land with the pup then introduced to water. Just got toes wet first in a puddle then by the end we were in about 2 ft deep water swimming about 15 feet across to retrieve bumper on land then circled around water to get back to me.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue Apr 30, 2013 9:41 am

yesterday we worked on some land mini t been a while since she has been seeing alot of marks lately. she did great also i am giving cast with out verbal just signals. it is fun i can get her to do everything with a whistle and hand signals. the only verbal she got yesterday was dead bird, goooood, baaaack.

didnt have time to get on sat sun or really alot yesterday but sat was fun. pulled out some ducks and a pro trainer that lives down the street gave me a live pigeon and a dead quail. (working with a buddies 3month old choco lab).

kept the pigeon in the cage so the pup could see it smell it stuff like that. pulled the bird out taped the wings (using painters tape) the pup loved chasing it but was a little afraid of it when i would flap a little but wouldnt retrieve it. still not bad for a pup that had never seen feathers or a bird that close. well the pigeon got a way but didnt fly far so i pulled belle out and told her to hunt it up hoping she would be fast enough to catch the bird she wasnt but still was fun for her. after the pigeon situation was over i pulled out the quail and let the pup play with it and she did great got her all excited throw the bird and she retrieved it like a pro. did that a couple of more times wanted her to get put up wanting more. so pulled out belle again and ran a land double then drove down to the swamp near the field and did singles in some nasty cover (no sound from the birdboy so she had to mark off the barrel) and man did she do great stepped on the birds and she couldnt even see where the birds were landing just the arc of the toss (they were also short marks about 40yards). then pulled the puppy out again and did a few more retrieves with my buddy holding her and me out 15-20yards and throwing so she could see a few that were not from the hip (also had someone about 100yards away with some poppers to help intro to guns but made sure she liked feathers and retrieving first before we did anything with the poppers.

here are some pics of the pup playing with the pigeon and quail
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby rivercountry » Tue Apr 30, 2013 6:05 pm

Today we ran the single T first. He his doing great with the back command, great dirve to the pile and back to heel/sit. He is doing good with Left over cast but, gets confused on right over cast form time to time and, trys to go to the back pile. Next we ran a series of water and land marks at around a hundred yards and he did an awesome job. He is coming along nicely with being steady to the shot until released and, we only had one correction today. I could not be happier we him thus far unless, it was December and he was returning to the blind with the last bird of a 4 man limit.
True Happiness is in a flooded rice field puttin em in the decoys
rivercountry
hunter

Postby ScaupHunter » Tue Apr 30, 2013 11:57 pm

We did a refresher on baseball today. Bella has been struggling a bit on mixing up her casting directions. We took two steps back to refresh her on proper directions. She did Ok tonight, and should do better tomorrow.
Bella's
Decoy Setting Pro Staff
Boat Operator Pro Staff
Duck Shooting Pro Staff
Warm Towel Pro Staff
Snack Supply Pro Staff

He works for free! Who's the B now?
ScaupHunter
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu May 02, 2013 7:04 am

went to the trainers house yesterday and belle and i both go a lesson on forcing to a pile. we have a ways to go before we get to run any blinds but at least i know where we are going and want to push to get her running short cold blinds ( 50-75 yards) by the end of June.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby hockeynut » Thu May 02, 2013 11:04 am

We have been working on the past few weeks using objects (trees, stubs, bushes, fake white t-shirt people constructed of PVC behind a blind with a winger!) as visual cues for her to mark off of (+150 yard marks). In between marking drills we are about to wrap up walking fetch and begin with casting/back drills. I could not run my pup for her junior test this weekend in Fallon, NV as I didn’t get her AKC paper work in fast enough and am shooting myself in the foot over it. But headed to help and work the test this weekend.
hockeynut
hunter

Postby labman63 » Mon May 06, 2013 12:23 am

Haven't done a thing in 7 days. I've been in the Virgin Islands for a week. Hittin the swimby pond in the am with 4 dogs and starting two 6 month olds on ff. Going to be a busy week. Glad to be back, consumed to much rum.
labman63
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Tue May 07, 2013 4:41 pm

worked on forcing to a pile today and yesterday. she is doing really well, other that trying to beat the pressure but we will be taking a break from the pressure to get her to slow down a bit and go when she is cast instead of going before i give a cast.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby cn44 » Wed May 08, 2013 8:57 am

Just got done working on day 10 if Hillmanns. A lot of working on long sits and extending the distance between me and the pup. Also started steadiness. Sit the pup walk out ten feet or so drop bumper while keeping pup sitting then send. Did that about 5-6 times mixed with 1-2 fun bumpers. He's coming along nicely. We got on some quail Saturday and he showed a nice little point.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Wed May 08, 2013 6:21 pm

did the same as yesterday and she is still wanting to bug a little (try and beat the pressure) but after about 3 times of not being able to go she got the idea that if she sat and watched she got to pick up a bumper. came back to the house and light some charcoal for the grill then headed back to the field to do some marks and work on a walk up. i would hold the bird in my right hand and her heel on the left walk about 10 yards thow bird over my back and head hit the sit whistle. and she did great on the 3 we did.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby bubba06 » Thu May 09, 2013 6:47 pm

bubba06
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Thu May 09, 2013 7:20 pm

same as yesterday but ended the drill with a few simple straight backs from heel and stopped a few times and her drive to the back pile is pretty high compared to just a few days ago before we started forcing to the back pile from a front sit. tomorrow we will start from the side and stop and nick to the back pile working a up the scale on the collar.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Thu May 16, 2013 8:32 pm

We worked on two series of advanced poison bird drills today. Dog is an AA competitor.

First series: Bird thrown downwind away from the line to the pile, then thrown toward the line to the pile (still downwind). Then under the arc (again downwind). Saw progress in leaving the poison alone and clipping past the gun at a tight distance.

Second series: We ratcheted it up and put the wind in play with birds thrown upwind of the line to the pile. Same configuration. Thrown away from line to pile. Then thrown toward line to pile. Then under the arc.

No collar pressure used. Just attrition to keep the bugs away.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri May 17, 2013 2:49 pm

started working on single t today by identifying the pile and moving straight back got back to about 70 yards and had to move up to about 50 yards because she was starting to pop (but she took the back cast perfectly) then after a few times running at 50 yards then moved back and finished at around 70 yards and at about that time she started to get really hot (90 degrees) so we called it a day. but she did really well. but i can see this taking a long while only because of the heat.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby CatSquirrel » Fri May 17, 2013 5:47 pm

krazybronco2 wrote:started working on single t today by identifying the pile and moving straight back got back to about 70 yards and had to move up to about 50 yards because she was starting to pop (but she took the back cast perfectly) then after a few times running at 50 yards then moved back and finished at around 70 yards and at about that time she started to get really hot (90 degrees) so we called it a day. but she did really well. but i can see this taking a long while only because of the heat.

Sounds like y'all are making good progress krazy.

Try to watch the pops and catch her before she has a chance to fully pop. Yell "back" to keep her moving. If you have to, a back-nick-back might be warranted. You know your dog best.

Some tips for the heat:
Try to train at first light or right at dark.
Get a stake-out and stake her if you see her getting hot. Then, pick up with the training session if she's cool enough to continue.
Freeze a two-liter and toss it down next to her stake or even in her box. My dogs straddle the ice and it helps cool them. Be careful with chewy puppies with the plastic.
Always park in the shade.
Live oak groves are great for cool spots. In my area, we have several parks that have live oak groves that are mown around. The temperature difference under the oaks can be as much as 10 or 15 degrees cooler than out in the sun.
Don't push a session so hard that you burn your dog up. You might only get three retrieves in, but just keep plugging along. In high summer, my training group might only get a double blind in or a short set of marks and that's it. But consistency is the key.
Watch the radar...a storm moving through might lower the temps enough so you can get in extra reps. Of course, be careful with lightening.
Keep your dog lean. Reduce food and keep her athletic. I cut my dogs back in the summer because of reduced need to carry weight to stay warm. You almost want them skin and bones.
CatSquirrel
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Fri May 17, 2013 10:53 pm

CatSquirrel wrote:
krazybronco2 wrote:started working on single t today by identifying the pile and moving straight back got back to about 70 yards and had to move up to about 50 yards because she was starting to pop (but she took the back cast perfectly) then after a few times running at 50 yards then moved back and finished at around 70 yards and at about that time she started to get really hot (90 degrees) so we called it a day. but she did really well. but i can see this taking a long while only because of the heat.

Sounds like y'all are making good progress krazy.

Try to watch the pops and catch her before she has a chance to fully pop. Yell "back" to keep her moving. If you have to, a back-nick-back might be warranted. You know your dog best.

Some tips for the heat:
Try to train at first light or right at dark.
Get a stake-out and stake her if you see her getting hot. Then, pick up with the training session if she's cool enough to continue.
Freeze a two-liter and toss it down next to her stake or even in her box. My dogs straddle the ice and it helps cool them. Be careful with chewy puppies with the plastic.
Always park in the shade.
Live oak groves are great for cool spots. In my area, we have several parks that have live oak groves that are mown around. The temperature difference under the oaks can be as much as 10 or 15 degrees cooler than out in the sun.
Don't push a session so hard that you burn your dog up. You might only get three retrieves in, but just keep plugging along. In high summer, my training group might only get a double blind in or a short set of marks and that's it. But consistency is the key.
Watch the radar...a storm moving through might lower the temps enough so you can get in extra reps. Of course, be careful with lightening.
Keep your dog lean. Reduce food and keep her athletic. I cut my dogs back in the summer because of reduced need to carry weight to stay warm. You almost want them skin and bones.

thanks for the tips on the heat and i will be trying to look for the pop before it happens. and it will be going to see her trainer tomorrow and get a better of idea of what i need to do and keep with his system.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby Phild » Wed May 22, 2013 10:57 pm

After doing a lot of the things needed but way out of order I have been following the Lardy Program and today we finished up with mini T, tomorrow we are moving to Full T should go pretty smooth I would think, Gauge has really been eating up the first stages of Double T according to the way Lardy teaches it.

Later
Phil
Phild
hunter

Postby cn44 » Sat May 25, 2013 7:17 am

Still following Hillmanns. Introduced the sit-nick-sit with e-collar on level one. Didn't even show a response to stimulus but obeyed the command like usual. Started working short doubles also and he picked up on those fairly quickly. Sometimes he takes a little encouragement to get going on the memory mark but after a time or two he remembers and his confidence goes up.
cn44
hunter

Postby krazybronco2 » Sat May 25, 2013 8:02 pm

early this morning belle and i just worked on identifying the back pile and over piles for the single t. then got a call from a buddy to come over about 2:00 this afternoon and do some shooting so took belle over and got my buddy to throw 3 single marks for her. the first was about 50 yards the second was about 75 yards and directly behind the first bird (trying to teach her to run past the old fall) and the final throw as about 80 yards but in the opposite direction of the first 2 birds. she stepped on 2 of the 3 birds. the one she didnt step on was the second bird and she actually ran past the bird and then winded it. so not to bad for a very hormonal female pup.
krazybronco2
hunter

Postby labman63 » Sun May 26, 2013 5:55 am

FowlPwrcat wrote:Thor received his SH Title today. I about passed out...

Congrats!
labman63
hunter

PreviousNext

Return to Hunting Dog Forum